25 years is not a life sentence...

This is a discussion on 25 years is not a life sentence... within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; and even if it were, life is too little. Life sentence for killing Roanoker who interrupted burglary - Roanoke.com Life sentence for killing Roanoker who ...

Thread: 25 years is not a life sentence...

VIP Member

Thumbs down 25 years is not a life sentence...

and even if it were, life is too little.

Life sentence for killing Roanoker who interrupted burglary - Roanoke.com

Life sentence for killing Roanoker who interrupted burglary
    By Mike Gangloff | The Roanoke Times

A New Year's burglar who gunned down a designated driver who interrupted his break-in pleaded guilty today to murder, burglary and firearms charges.

Timothy J. Rhea, 34, was sentenced to life imprisonment by Roanoke Circuit Judge Jonathan Apgar. Under a plea agreement, the judge suspended Rhea's sentence after 25 years. Rhea told the judge he'd write a letter of apology to his victim's family.

Rhea admitted fatally shooting Charles C. Gardner II, 35, outside a house in the 1000 block of Gilmer Avenue Northwest early on New Year's Day.

Gardner had been celebrating with his wife and three children, toasting with sparking grape juice, when two friends called from a bar and asked for a ride home. Assistant Commonwealth's Attorney John McNeil said in court today that while Gardner dropped off one of the friends, the men saw the front door standing open.

Four burglars fled out the back, McNeil said. Rhea, the last to leave, fired three or four shots, hitting Gardner in the heart. Gardner collapsed into the snow and died at the scene.

Three other men were charged in the burglary. Two of them were caught New Year's morning when they tried to retrieve their getaway car from the crime scene. Those men fingered Rhea as the killer, the prosecutor said.

Gardner's father, Charles Gardner Sr., mother Jayne, and wife Artrice, described Gardner as a man who enjoyed his three children, ages 13, 11 and 7. He was a self-employed restorer of antique cars and had been working on a 1972 Camaro before he was slain. He was a lifelong Roanoker and lived with his family in Forest Park.

"He would help anybody," Artrice Gardner said outside the courtroom.

Charles Gardner Sr. said he wishes Rhea hadn't brought a gun to the break-in.

"He went from a robber to a cold-blooded murder just like that," Gardner said.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

2. Remove Ads

Well, he did promise to write a letter after all. That should count for something...

Sarcasm aside, hard core B&E guys sooner or later turn into murderers, "defending themselves". I have heard compelling arguments to make B&E into a domicile into a capital crime.

If my (hypothetical) wife got murdered, it would be extremely insulting and infuriating to receive a (basically) court-ordered apology letter from the POS who did it.

Quote Originally Posted by nigelvertigo View Post
    If my (hypothetical) wife got murdered, it would be extremely insulting and infuriating to receive a (basically) court-ordered apology letter from the POS who did it.
    Might push a person over the edge...
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

I would be majorly in contempt of court if some judge sent such a letter my way...
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

3D
    Sickening loss! 25 years instead of life because of a letter!!! What is missing with this ??!"judge"??
    . . . . and I'm wondering how Roanoke Circuit "Judge" Jonathan Apgar would have ruled if Charles Gardner (the driver) was defensive carrying and was the "successful" shooter.
    "It is easier to resist at the beginning than at the end"____Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    On the plus side, the taxpayers will only have to support this dirt bag for a mere 25 years. How much punishment do we have to take?
    Sorry if I seem heartless but I have a home in a small central Illinois town that has been dying ever since a new prison was built there under the promise of more jobs and a larger tax base. The reality of the situation is that when BG's are incarcerated here for long periods of time, their families, relatives or homies move to town also. The neighborhoods have been steadily going downhill, crime has been increasing, business closing and good people moving away. Even when the BG's get paroled or finish their sentences they stay in town and usually get in trouble again. The drain on the welfare system, school system all of the city services has made it necessary to raise property taxes, yet property values have been steadily dropping due to the changing demographics of the neighborhoods. A once upon a time Mayberry like farming community has turned into a Chicago-like suburb of Springfield.
    How inhumane does it sound for the death penalty to be speedily and judiciously applied now?

This dude needs a life sentence to Hades... pronto
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    This dude needs a life sentence to Hades... pronto
    + 1 on that.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by 120mm View Post
    Well, he did promise to write a letter after all. That should count for something...

Sarcasm aside, hard core B&E guys sooner or later turn into murderers, "defending themselves". I have heard compelling arguments to make B&E into a domicile into a capital crime.
    After a 20+ year stretch split between law enforcement and maximum security prison administration, I firmly believe that a 3rd offense B&E in dwelling (actually I would go with second offense but I try to be "reasonable") should be death penalty. At that point you know they are not going to quit and there is a decent chance that they will eventually kill someone...if they haven't already without getting made.

But hey...some days I feel the same about 3rd offense DUI...

Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound.

-- L. Neil Smith

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PaxMentis View Post
    After a 20+ year stretch split between law enforcement and maximum security prison administration, I firmly believe that a 3rd offense B&E in dwelling (actually I would go with second offense but I try to be "reasonable") should be death penalty. At that point you know they are not going to quit and there is a decent chance that they will eventually kill someone...if they haven't already without getting made.

But hey...some days I feel the same about 3rd offense DUI...

I'd like to see any third strike [whatever they call the highest level in your State] felony with a firearm be added to that list, also.

Maybe even some kind of mix 'n' match from a list of the more egregious/violent or potentially dangerous [whatever they call the highest level in your State] felonies.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    I'd like to see any third strike [whatever they call the highest level in your State] felony with a firearm be added to that list, also.

Maybe even some kind of mix 'n' match from a list of the more egregious/violent or potentially dangerous [whatever they call the highest level in your State] felonies.
    I'm not a big fan of the mix and match model. We've had several serious miscarriages of justice in this state related to our three strikes statute. I do agree with death penalty for B&E repeat offenders - first offense death penalty for knowingly breaking into an occupied dwelling (home invasion).

But, since we can't get the death penalty for rapists...

Ryan
    Those who will not govern their own behavior are slaves waiting for a master; one will surely find them.

Links