Stupid, Stupid, Stupid:Off-duty cop poses as terrorist with a real gun in a hospital

Stupid, Stupid, Stupid:Off-duty cop poses as terrorist with a real gun in a hospital

This is a discussion on Stupid, Stupid, Stupid:Off-duty cop poses as terrorist with a real gun in a hospital within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Hospital uses armed man in unannounced drill - Saturday, May 29, 2010 | 2:01 a.m. - Las Vegas Sun Hospital uses armed man in unannounced ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hospital uses armed man in unannounced drill - Saturday, May 29, 2010 | 2:01 a.m. - Las Vegas Sun

Hospital uses armed man in unannounced drill
    test of security procedures results in frightening moments

By Marshall Allen (contact)

Saturday, May 29, 2010 | 2:01 a.m.
    Sun archives

How’s this for an ill-conceived emergency preparedness drill? An off-duty cop pretending to be a terrorist stormed into a hospital intensive care unit brandishing a handgun, which he pointed at nurses while herding them down a corridor and into a room.

There, after harrowing moments, he explained that the whole caper was a training exercise.

The staff at St. Rose Dominican Hospitals-Siena Campus, where the incident took place Monday morning, found the exercise more traumatizing than instructive.

Hospital employees would have been justified in fearing for their lives.

Just last year, Henderson police shot and killed an armed, hostile man in the emergency room. So it would make sense that security and emergency preparedness have been a focus at the hospital.

But in Monday’s incident, which occurred in a unit that houses the hospital’s sickest patients, nurses, patients and their families did not know it was a drill, said Renee Ruiz, organizer of the California Nurses Association, which represents staff at the hospital.

“There are significant safety issues here,” Ruiz said. “We would never condone a drill like this. We put the safety of the patients and nurses and hospital staff first and foremost.”

Ruiz said the union is investigating the incident. Many people saw the gunman, she said, and the union is gathering statements and talking to hospital administrators.

Andy North, director of public policy and external affairs for the hospital, apologized for any distress caused by the incident. There’s been an “ongoing effort to try and make (emergency preparedness drills) as realistic as possible,” he said, but the goal is not to scare or harm anyone.

He said as many as 10 employees were involved in the incident and no one was hurt. The actor was from a local police department, North said.

The staff was supposed to have been told in advance of the exercise, but there was a “disconnect,” North said. That won’t happen again, he said.

State regulators who license hospitals said Friday the incident may warrant investigation, depending on whether patient care was compromised.

My question: I am curious about how things legally (and civilly) would have worked out if the "bad guy" was shot/killed by someone with a CWP.
    Last edited by SIXTO; May 30th, 2010 at 08:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nkanofolives View Post
    Hospital uses armed man in unannounced drill - Saturday, May 29, 2010 | 2:01 a.m. - Las Vegas Sun

My question: I am curious about how things legally (and civilly) would have worked out if the "bad guy" was shot/killed by someone with a CWP.
    More than likely it would be ruled as a tragic accident and the ccw holder would not be charged.

A little common sense would indicate that anyone would legitimately be in fear of their life if an armed gunman broke into a hospital like that threatening peoples lives and imitating a terrorist. Therefore, I would think it would have to be ruled as a "tragic accident," and be a justifiable shooting.

These "unannounced drills" have happened before and it always end up being a major embarrassment for those who planed such a stupid event. I believe the last one posted in this forum took place at a pharmacy about a year or so ago.

Fortunately no one was shot in either of these cases, but the potential is certainly out there.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Probably not the best way to handle it. Good thing for the off duty LEO that no one was carrying. Could have ended real bad
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DIABLO9489 View Post
    Probably not the best way to handle it. Good thing for the off duty LEO that no one was carrying. Could have ended real bad
    Very very true
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

This is such a bad idea from sooo many angles....
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

So exactly what is something like this supposed to teach anybody? The correct way to P your pants?What if some Hero gutted him with a scalpel
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Moderator
    Unconscionable - and if he is herding the staff, they're not doing patient care.

In an ICU, that's risking lives.

Someone needs to be fired. Big time.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Dumb. If you're going to do a drill, at least use a red gun.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    This is such a bad idea from sooo many angles....
    +1 What were they thinking?
    Tom
    Osculare pultem meam! - Kiss my grits!

I'm trying to get my jaw up off the floor and think of a new word for stupid because whomever conceived this cluster deserves a brand new term just for them. I cannot imagine the 9000 possible ways this could have gone pearshaped in the facility I work for. Staff, visitors, random LEO in the building (They seem to like nurses!). God knows who could have decided to make a run at this guy with a weapon gun,knife, or improvised. Plus I don't think I could hold a nurse responsible for a med error while some dude is waving a gun around the room.

VIP Member
    So....if there had been a CCW holder there & he/she had 'stopped' this 'test' with a perforated 'bad guy'......What would the outcome be?????
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DIABLO9489 View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^

What is sad in this episode of stupidity, is that they actually found an officer DUMB enough to take part in the whole debacle to begin with.
    When are these Ignorant administrators going to wake up and realize this is an idiotic excercise, which has the potential to ruin their careers in a nanosecond.
    If I were employed at the hospital, I'd sue for emotional distress

H. L. Mencken:
    A good politician under democracy is quite as unthinkable as an honest burglar.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

VIP Member
    OMG!

Not only is it the most stupid thing I have heard of but if I were one of those employees, I wouldn't need to work ever again after my lawyers got through with that hospital!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Very stupid, being surrounded by hospital people with scalpels and knives in fear for their lives. Better to have training video shows and preplan such and similar scenarios, maybe doing a walk through with role playing with EVERYONE informed.

I could not believe the amount of dumb I was reading in the article. I even missed this thread and started a new one about it.

I still cannot wrap my mind around the fact that a LEO would agree to this. Even with advanced warning.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links