Bad : Cop Being Sued for Shooting Gun Pointing Suspect

This is a discussion on Bad : Cop Being Sued for Shooting Gun Pointing Suspect within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by tbrenke lengthy felony record? I did not see anyplace the record was stated. I would be intersted to know if the gun ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bad : Cop Being Sued for Shooting Gun Pointing Suspect

Quote Originally Posted by tbrenke View Post
    lengthy felony record?
    I did not see anyplace the record was stated. I would be intersted to know if the gun was legal for him to have. not just at the bar but to have at all.

but then if your going to break just a few laws, what are a few more.
    There are several articles about this incident. Apparently Mr. Porter was no stranger to police. This link has some insight.

Shooting victim had extensive arrest record - The Herald Dispatch

Here are links to the past articles.

Bar shooting leaves 1 man dead - The Herald Dispatch

Club shooting shows security issues - The Herald Dispatch

Club Babylon case moves toward grand jury - The Herald Dispatch

Police probe nightclub shooting - The Herald Dispatch
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

2. Remove Ads

Regardless of what the media says or what the police investigation reports, the trial will hopefully clear everything up. I am not one to say this guy is innocent, but if reports of tampering with witnesses and cover ups are involved in the death of a person(whether a criminal or not) a complete, third party, investigation needs to be completed. If the trial and witnesses concur with the reports of the deceased pointing a firearm at the officer, all I have to say to the officer is "good shot!"
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    Question everything, Learn something, Answer nothing.
    Those who have an answer for everything, have an answer for nothing.

Administrator
    Typical.
    "Just blame Sixto"

So, lemme get this right. Cops respond to bar shooting, arrive to see patrons streaming out, one of whom has a firearm. They call him, he points, they shoot and cuff 'em. So now there's a parking lot FULL of his closest drinkin buddies, and they aren't sure who else is packing, but they were "intimidating" the crowd? More likely trying to decide who would be the next Darwin award winner...

Bring a gun to a bar, late at night, get in an altercation, pull that gun, get shot by police. Hard to find any sympathy from me. Whether or not he actually pointed the gun at the cop is largely irrelevant to me. He had to see this coming. Put the same man in the middle of the day, no alcohol, no "Club Babylon," no mob around, in some other type of self defense situation and I might listen. Choices.

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    Ok, None of us will know ALL the details. I hate when the NAACP jumps in just because a white kills a black "not saying thats whats happening in this case" But what I hate more is the replies of Oh well and, Typical. We all know it happens the police aren't always on the up and up. I don't think it happens very often, but it does SOMETIMES and to dismiss it completely is very ignorant and childish. More often than not people with power will abuse it in some way!
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Quote Originally Posted by Dragman View Post
    Ok, None of us will know ALL the details. I hate when the NAACP jumps in just because a white kills a black "not saying thats whats happening in this case" But what I hate more is the replies of Oh well and, Typical. We all know it happens the police aren't always on the up and up. I don't think it happens very often, but it does SOMETIMES and to dismiss it completely is very ignorant and childish. More often than not people with power will abuse it in some way!
    I agree with you about the NAACP, groups like this only perpetuate racism. If this was a black cop and a white suspect it wouldn't be an issue, just sayin . It shouldn't matter what color you are if a cop responds to a shooting call and the guy still has gun in hand and is threatening officers case closed. There could be some facts left out but from the information provided it looks like a good shoot and race should not be an issue. If a cop has a gun pointed at him he shouldn't have to think about whether or not the guy is a different color than him.
    End Rant

Quote Originally Posted by Dragman View Post
    Ever hear of the boy who cried wolf? The NAACP has a history of making race an issue in every case. It has become old hat and not something one even thinks twice about. Its no wonder that some people do not believe their cases have merit anymore.

Just look at the recent Halmark card recall to see why they have lost creditability. This only can hurt any legitimate causes they decide to back.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Ever hear of the boy who cried wolf? The NAACP has a history of making race an issue in every case. It has become old hat and not something one even thinks twice about. Its no wonder that some people do not believe their cases have merit anymore.

Just look at the recent Halmark card recall to see why they have lost creditability. This only can hurt any legitimate causes they decide to back.

Michael
    I only have one problem with your statment... The NAACP isn't a person that cried wolf! They aren't the person involved. Should we ignore cases just because an outside body made a statement. I can't stand the NAACP but I will bet if I get shot by the police and there is any question that race might have been a contributing factor they will be on the news crying in my defence! I didn't cry wolf.... Why should I be judged cuz someone else said something?? I don't judge people on what a ratical group of thier ethnic backround says. and the NAACP is a ratical group IMO.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    This whole scam is typical ambulance chaser and NAACP strategy. First find some scumbag who is rightfully killed. Second, turn him into a "family man". Third, file a lawsuit knowing that the city will offer a settlement.
    Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton do this for a "living", when not inciting riots.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

I took this from another thread. I am not saying that the shootings are the same. I am just using this to point out that sometimes the urban look is enough to get you shot by the police, so we shouldn't just blindly agree with the police and assume the person dead did something wrong. I can promise you that some people that responded in this thread were the kind of people that figured the shooting was legal and just..... until the video came out.
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...one-trial.html

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links