BAD: Gunman kills 4 innocent diners at resturant in FL

This is a discussion on BAD: Gunman kills 4 innocent diners at resturant in FL within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Oh, if only they had had a chance to talk with him and get him to know them and give them a chance to help ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BAD: Gunman kills 4 innocent diners at resturant in FL

Oh, if only they had had a chance to talk with him and get him to know them and give them a chance to help him deal with his personal and psychological problems and feeeelllliiiinnggggsss in a nonviolent fashion without all of this bloodshed and passion, like they learn them in those ******* classes that are taken and wasted on the masses who go to college to get and even teach such psychobabble knowlege. It would have hurt them worse to have to pull a gun out of a purse to be as bad as him during a self-preservation whim.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    I know.

A lot of people per all manner of news reports do this though...It's weird.
    Just call 911 yourself _first_.

Shot, bleeding and possibly on the cusp of passing out if not death...And your first thought ti s to call somebody else to ask them to come help you and/or to dial 911. Huh?!

- Janq
    My wife (at the time) did the same thing. She was in a serious car accident and - even though she knew intellectually that I was in the field and would be hard to get in touch with - she called me instead of 911. Luckily I was able to answer the call, so I just got the down and dirty details from her and called 911 myself.

The lesson here, as in so many things, is that if you don't train and practice your responses, you will default to a course of action that may not be ideal...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I've read in a few places, that you need to rehearse dialing 911 similar to the way you practice with your firearm. It's easy under stress for people to fumble with buttons, etc, if not draw a complete blank. Also, if she was frantically hitting buttons on the phone, his number might have been the result. It only takes me one button press to call my wife, for example.
    AlabamaConstitution of 1819: That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defence of himself and the state.
    The world doesn't owe you anything. It was here first.-Mark Twain
    "Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
    Sig P228; Micro Desert Eagle; S&W M&P Compact .357 sig

Boy, these events are so tragic.

They should be good motivating incidents for those who do not feel the need for a gun, or to carry a gun full time and yet people read right over them and continue dismiss such incidents as abstract events which won't happen to them personally.

ctsketch, I truly hope your fiance wakes up soon. I was lucky enough my wife was already on the same page when I met her. There was no need to convince her of anything.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member
    Does this sound like an assault rifle attack? Just curious for your considered opinions.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links