St. Louis: Ex-police chief attacked and killed while sitting in his SUV

This is a discussion on St. Louis: Ex-police chief attacked and killed while sitting in his SUV within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The slain victim was an ex-LEO and ex-police chief. He was sitting in his SUV around 11 p.m. waiting for a friend when he was ...

Thread: St. Louis: Ex-police chief attacked and killed while sitting in his SUV

St. Louis: Ex-police chief attacked and killed while sitting in his SUV

The slain victim was an ex-LEO and ex-police chief. He was sitting in his SUV around 11 p.m. waiting for a friend when he was approached by two eighteen-year-old thugs.

Gunfight ensued, the victim and one thug were killed. The other thug turned up later with a gunshot wound.

I'm not saying this victim did anything wrong, but this incident reminded me of one of mercop's recent threads that recommended unbuckling your seatbelt if you will be sitting in a parked car for more than a few seconds.

Again, not saying this victim did this or didn't. Apparently he was aware enough to get off multiple shots. Just saying it reminded me of the intent of mercop's post: be ready because you never know when trouble will approach.

Man charged in killing of state investigator - STLtoday.com
    Man charged in killing of state investigator
    By Christine Byers and Joel Currier
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    06/07/2010

UPDATE: 2:05 p.m.

Two men who killed former Pagedale police chief Tyrone L. Thompson in a holdup Saturday night had gone out looking for someone to rob after losing money in a dice game, according to charges filed today against Billy Cushshon-Bey,18, of the 12000 block of Criterion Avenue in north St. Louis County.

Cushshon-Bey is held in lieu of $1 million bond after being charged in St. Louis County Circuit Court with two counts each of second-degree murder and armed criminal action, and one count of robbery. The other robber, Jakeem Hicks, was killed in an exchange of shots with the victim, police said.

According to the charges, Cushshon-Bey and Hicks, also 18, lost money in a dice game at a home near the murder site, in Black Jack, and announced to others that they would go out and rob someone. Soon thereafter, shots were heard and Cushshon-Bey was seen getting into a car, carrying a handgun.

Officials said Cushshon-Bey was wounded in the exchange of shots with Thompson, who was a consumer fraud investigator for the Missouri Attorney General's Office.

Thompson was an innocent victim, police have said, who had been in his vehicle, stopped near his home to pick up a friend, when crime unfolded. Thompson was found dead in the street; Hicks was found dead in a driveway.

PREVIOUS STORY:

ST. LOUIS COUNTY — Police on Sunday were questioning a teenager in the shooting deaths of his friend and a state investigator who was the son of a former state legislator and had been a former municipal police chief.

Tyrone L. Thompson, 47, of Black Jack, a consumer fraud investigator with the state attorney general's office, was shot to death in a robbery attempt Saturday night in the 12300 block of Jerries Lane in Black Jack, police said.
    Thompson was sitting in his sport utility vehicle near his home waiting to pick up a friend when two men, both 18, approached about 11 p.m. and tried to rob him at gunpoint, police said.

Thompson and the suspects exchanged several gunshots. Police said Thompson shot Jakeem Hicks and was himself fatally shot by one of the would-be robbers.

Police said someone who lived near the shooting scene tried to revive Thompson, who was pronounced dead at Christian Northeast Hospital.

Hicks, of the 1300 block of Petite Drive, died in the street.

The other 18-year-old was wounded in the exchange but his injury was not serious, police said. He was in police custody and was being questioned Sunday. His identity is being withheld pending the filing of charges.

Police would not say if both teens were armed or how many guns they recovered at the scene.

St. Louis County Police Chief Tim Fitch said the teenagers had had no previous contact with Thompson. Fitch called Thompson a "truly innocent victim" who was "trying to protect himself in his neighborhood."

Hicks' family declined to comment.

Thompson was a former police chief for Pagedale and a former University City police officer. He had served as consumer fraud investigator for the state attorney general's office for about a year. He grew up in University City and was the son of former state Rep. Betty Thompson, D-University City.

Detectives have no evidence that Thompson was targeted because of his job.

St. Louis County Police Detective John Wall, who worked with Thompson on the University City police force, said Thompson was "happy to go to work. Happy to be there. He was a great policeman, just an all-around great guy."

Thompson, who was unmarried, had a daughter, 18, and two sons, 21 and 16.

"He was just an excellent son and a beautiful father," said County Councilwoman Hazel Erby, a friend and spokeswoman for the Thompson family.

Betty Thompson was University City's first African-American councilwoman and served in that seat for 18 years. She was elected to the Missouri House in 1997 and served for eight years. She has been honored for her social activism.

Erby said Betty Thompson asked her to say that "the killing has to stop. We have to come together as a community and do something about this."

In a prepared statement Sunday, Attorney General Chris Koster said Thompson was a valued member of his staff who will be missed.

"I am broken-hearted for the Thompson family and have profound sympathy for their pain and tragic loss," Koster said. "But I am equally angered at the absolute senselessness of this murder and the life that has been stolen by two teenagers without care for the value of human life.

Funeral arrangements for Thompson were pending.

2. Remove Ads

Tragic but at least he killed one of them as well.

Crime does not discriminate, Anyone,Anywere & Anytime. It's a shame :-(
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

I am sorry for him and his family, although it looks like he made a good account of himself.

I hate sitting in a stationary vehicle at night. When I had to stop for trainees to write reports, my head spun like a top, or I got out and moved around.

Quote Originally Posted by WhoWeBePart1 View Post
    Tragic but at least he killed one of them as well.
    I think he killed both of them, it will just take a little longer for the last one to work his way through the judicial system before he's put down!

I pray for his family as it will be very hard for awhile!
    Last edited by Hiram25; June 8th, 2010 at 12:16 AM. Reason: changed word
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

If anyone needs proof of how little respect for life and property these dirtbags have, here you go...

"Two men who killed former Pagedale police chief Tyrone L. Thompson in a holdup Saturday night had gone out looking for someone to rob after losing money in a dice game, "

Loose your money so you go rob someone? That just pisses me off.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

This also goes to those who say they don't carry chambered because they ASSUME they will see the threat and have time to rack the slide.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

At least he was able to take one of the dirtbags down. To bad he couldn't get them both.
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Tragic, too bad he didn't get them both :(
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

I work in a prison; and, it's sad Michigan doesn't have the death penalty. The only cure to dirt like this.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Pretty cut and dried case,after they find him guilty take him out back and put the rabid dog down.We let too many hardened thugs live,they don't want to be rehabilitated and I'm tired of paying to feed and house them.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Very sad indeed, but at least he fought back. There is something to be said about "going out with your boots on". God rest his soul.
    "Surely the preservation and enjoyment of the freedoms vouchsafed to us by the Constitution of the United States will require eternal vigilance even to the guarding of it with our lives. We must ever keep faith with our founding fathers by keeping faith with our Constitution."

Links