Very Bad: 5 Year Old Shoots Self; Dies

This is a discussion on Very Bad: 5 Year Old Shoots Self; Dies within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Very Bad. A co-worker's wife, works for Rural Metro and had to clean the ambulance after the call. Needless to say she had a bad ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Very Bad: 5 Year Old Shoots Self; Dies

Very Bad: 5 Year Old Shoots Self; Dies

Very Bad. A co-worker's wife, works for Rural Metro and had to clean the ambulance after the call. Needless to say she had a bad night, co-worker and his wife have custody of their 8 year old grand-daughter. The paramedics who responded to the call were able to keep the little girl alive until they got to the hospital; where she died of her wounds. The paramedics were very upset and clocked out after the call.

The house where the shooting happened was also a home business. The mother of the daughter is a friend of the home / business owner. The little girl found the gun laying on the desk in the business office inside the home.

All I have to say it TRAGIC. My thoughts and prayers go out to ALL involved, extra prayers for the mother.

5-year-old shoots self with gun; dies
    Posted: Jun 06, 2010 3:42 PM Updated: Jun 06, 2010 4:09 PM

Reporter: Sheryl Kornman

TUCSON (KGUN9-TV) - A five-year-old girl who shot herself in the chest with a .40-caliber handgun Sunday afternoon has died, said Northwest Fire Capt. Adam Goldberg. The incident was reported at 12:24 p.m.

Goldberg said Reese Hotten and her mother were visiting family friends when the girl found the loaded gun and fired it. Earlier it was reported that she was four.

The adults in the home began CPS and the girl was taken to a hospital, where she died at 1 p.m. The death was determined to be accidental.

Goldberg said cautioned parents who are visiting in others' homes to ask about firearms and whether they are locked up and out of the reach of children.
    Don't tread on me or mine.
    I am comfortable laying on a rock in the sun; bothering no one. If you choose to ignore the above statement, you will wish all you had to do, is deal with a snake.

2. Remove Ads

Ugh. I don't think there are many things worse than these kinds of stories. If someone knows that there is a remote possibility of a child visiting their house, their firearms should be locked up.

Senior Moderator
    No accident here, IMHO - criminally culpable negligence on the part of whomever left the gun where it was accessible.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Tragic.

I've got one of these:

Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Just a cheap CoM Safe could have prevented this terrible accident, but I'm sure the lives of several families are now ruined.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by MattInFla View Post
    No accident here, IMHO - criminally culpable negligence on the part of whomever left the gun where it was accessible.

Matt
    Have to agree there. Somebody is responsible and it's not the child.

on my hip or in the safe.
    and yes, my 5 year old knows about guns and to not touch them. get me or mom.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

Sad! As a gun owner you have a responsibility for your weapons. I feel some charge will result in this case, Criminal Negligence comes to mind. I pray for the parents and the weapon owner as they will both suffer for a long time over this incident.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Gun proof your kids, because not everyone kid proofs their guns. I wonder if the owner had kids? It makes a difference in how you approach where you put your guns. Just read this forum.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    Gun proof your kids, because not everyone kid proofs their guns. I wonder if the owner had kids? It makes a difference in how you approach where you put your guns. Just read this forum.
    +1. Very tragic story with an outcome that could have been easily avoided with a liitle bit of common sense
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Matt
    +1.
    SA Loaded 1911
    XD45 Service
    XDs45

Tragic and did not need to happen at all! if you have children over..either keep your firearm on your person, locked up, or away from reach...
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Agreed. : (

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Hide guns all you want, KIDS WILL FIND THEM! My thoughts and prayers go out to the families, I hope the justice system does it's part but they will suffer long after that sentence is up.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

I don't have small children in my home,but if any friends came over with kids,I would be locking up every gun in my house not under my immediate care and control
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links