Two Men Taken To Hospital After Failed Robbery Attempt

This is a discussion on Two Men Taken To Hospital After Failed Robbery Attempt within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; UPDATE: Two Men Taken To Hospital After Failed Robbery Attempt Below is the first part of the story. WESTWOOD, KY (WSAZ) - Boyd County, Kentucky ...

Thread: Two Men Taken To Hospital After Failed Robbery Attempt

Post Two Men Taken To Hospital After Failed Robbery Attempt

UPDATE: Two Men Taken To Hospital After Failed Robbery Attempt

Below is the first part of the story.

WESTWOOD, KY (WSAZ) - Boyd County, Kentucky deputies say two men were taken to the hospital with severe head wounds, after they tried to rob a home in Westwood.

According to investigators, Chris Artrip and Randal Artrip entered the home on Berry Avenue around 11:30 p.m. Wednesday armed with a toy gun and a baseball bat.

The homeowner hit both men in the head with a machete.

Both men were taken to the hospital with head wounds. Sgt. Donta with the Boyd County Sheriff's Department says they will be charged wtih armed robbery.

A third person, Amy Sturgil, will also be charged because she drove the getaway car.

The homeowner had minor injuries to his hands.
    This is the second part.

WESTWOOD, Ky. (WSAZ) -- Two men picked the wrong house to try to rob Wednesday night.

Armed with baseball bats and a toy gun, the two were no match for a man who got medieval while defending his home.

Grant Lambert normally uses his machete for yard work, but Wednesday night at his home in Westwood, he proved it can be an effective makeshift weapon too.

Lambert's daughter and girlfriend were in the living room when robbers broke in the front door.

"It's the scariest thing that's ever happened to me," Lambert’s girlfriend Jackie Cook said. "We were watching TV, and the door just busted in. My heart just fell. Two guys busted in with masks on. I knew we was all gonna be dead."

Lambert heard the commotion from his bedroom and went to see what was going on. It didn't take long for the bad guys to find out they'd messed with the wrong guy.

"I keep some knives around the house just in case,” he said. “I pulled the machete, told them to get out of my home. They came up to attack me. I thought they were real guns, I started whacking them, whacking them."

The thieves managed to get away with more than a hundred of Lambert’s dollars and his machete before escaping his home, but not without paying a serious price.

"His head was busted open so bad he had to go to the doctor or he would have bled out wherever he was and died," Lambert said.

"He defended himself well,” Boyd County Sheriff Terry Keelin said. “They got away with money of his, but they paid dearly for it. It would be doubtful that anyone would want to try to rob that victim again."

"We love him to death,” Cook said. “If not for him I don't know what would have happened to us."

Lambert hopes his actions serve as a warning to other potential criminals.

"People who are gonna be doing this type of stuff, they should at least wait til the home owner’s gone,” he said. “You might get the one who has the gun, cause the machete, yeah, they're messed up. If I'd had a pistol or shotgun I'd have cut them in half. They give you no choice."

Lambert says he has worked in security and as a bouncer and spent some time in the military that he says helped him through this confrontation.

“I felt like I was fighting for my survival, fighting for my life,” Lambert said. “They weren’t invited in here. They made a choice. They made a bad choice.”

The suspects were identified at the hospital as Chris and Randall Artrip.

When they get out of the hospital, deputies will charge them with attempted armed robbery.

Amy Sturgill, who police say was driving the getaway car, will also be charged.

2. Remove Ads

I think he should sharpen his next machete. Good job on the homeowner!
    BETTER TO BE TRIED BY 12 THAN CARRIED BY 6
    Hesitation kills faster than a bullet.
    If your head is up your *$$ you are unaware of danger. You are in the perfect position to kiss it goodbye.
    Open Carry LAW for Pennsylvania
    http://www.thecrimsonpirate.com/rtkb...pdate_2009.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinNEPA View Post
    I think he should sharpen his next machete. Good job on the homeowner!
    ....Or use something with at least a 180 grains at about 900fps....give or take.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

3D
    +1 on "Good job on the homeowner!" Definitely demonstrated proper mindset.

I prefer "bang bang" to "chop chop". This would read very differently if those guns were not toys!!
    "It is easier to resist at the beginning than at the end"____Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519

A chop chop just under the left ear would have been plenty.
    Sometimes you gotta improvise!

A pencil to the throat will work too.

I'm like wow, how dumb are these guys?
    And why are they still allowed in the Gene Pool again???????/

ODD! I just read some of the comments on the News Site and they are claiming the Victim is operating a drug house. Some want to Crusify him and some want to Cannonize him.

Odd indeed!!!!!

They'd better find another line of work. If the guns had been real this would have ended badly! This should at least put them out of circulation for an extended period of time.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

How does that old saying go....Don't bring a toy gun to a machete fight
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Who also has two samurai swords at his disposal as well. After reading this, I might want to invest in a machete to kind of complete the set.

I kind of live real close to where this happend.
    Last edited by SIXTO; June 10th, 2010 at 01:04 AM. Reason: portion no longer needed.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Who also has two samurai swords at his disposal as well. After reading this, I might want to invest in a machete to kind of complete the set.
    I study arts involving the Kata a few weekends a year... been thinking about getting a hand forged folded steel Katana :)
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

One thing I don't get...

The thieves managed to get away with more than a hundred of Lambert’s dollars and his machete before escaping his home
    When they get out of the hospital, deputies will charge them with attempted armed robbery.
    Attempted?
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound.

-- L. Neil Smith

Links