Happened about a week ago in florida -

This is a discussion on Happened about a week ago in florida - within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Another case of anytime and anywhere Ambushed Palmetto Bay Man Tells Survival Story - cbs4.com John Lee says he's convinced they would have killed him ...

Thread: Happened about a week ago in florida -

Happened about a week ago in florida -

Another case of anytime and anywhere

Ambushed Palmetto Bay Man Tells Survival Story - cbs4.com

John Lee says he's convinced they would have killed him if he hadn't had his gun. Lee was talking from his hospital bed Wednesday about the three armed robbers who ambushed him in the parking lot of his Palmetto Bay apartment complex, shooting him four times as he fired back with his own pistol.

"They told me 'give it up,' but they didn't give me a chance. They just shot," Lee said as he lay sedated in his Ryder Trauma Center bed with bandages covering his abdomen, left arm and left hand. Lee was set upon as he got out of his car at the Royal Coast apartment complex where he lives shortly after midnight Tuesday morning.

Lee said the bandits gave him no opportunity to comply with their demands before two of them started shooting.

"The first bullet caught me in the hand and spun me around," Lee said. "I reached for it. I started firing my gun. I must have gotten hit a couple more times, but I didn't feel it at the time. I just started firing back, and the guys ran off."

Lee said he was concerned for his wounded arm and hand, unaware that two slugs had hit him in the gut.

"I looked down at my shirt and I saw blood spewing everywhere. I took off my shirt and that's when I knew I was hit."

Lee, a father of four and a supervisor at Sam's Club where he has worked for ten years, got a permit to carry a concealed weapon several years ago.

"It's rough out there. You never know. So I decided to get my concealed weapon permit, hoping I'd never have to use it."

Lee says he drew his gun, a Glock semi-automatic pistol, only after the robbers started shooting. He's convinced the attackers, who made no attempt to conceal their faces, would have killed him had he not been armed.

"If I hadn't had my gun on me, I wouldn't be talking to you right now," Lee said. "They would have finished me off."

Lee said he does not routinely carry the gun on him, but decided to tuck it into his waistband Tuesday morning because he was getting home late after a long day at work, followed by a visit to see a sick relative.

Lee said his attackers were dressed in "all in black" with pullover "hoodies," and appeared to be in their late teens to mid-twenties. He had never seen any of the men before but "would know them immediately" if he saw them again.

He said he was determined not to allow himself to be killed, for the sake of his children. He didn't want to leave them without a father.

"I can't even contemplate that, not being around my kids, not seeing them grow up," he said, his voice choking.

Despite being shot four times, including two shots to the abdomen, no major organs were struck. Doctors operated on Lee's shattered hand and arm, but his abdominal wounds did not require surgery.

"I'm blessed. It could have ended up a different way," he said.
    BETTER TO BE TRIED BY 12 THAN CARRIED BY 6
    Hesitation kills faster than a bullet.
    If your head is up your *$$ you are unaware of danger. You are in the perfect position to kiss it goodbye.
    Open Carry LAW for Pennsylvania
    http://www.thecrimsonpirate.com/rtkb...pdate_2009.pdf

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    That could have been any of us. Carry always. Don't expect to get out of a gun fight uninjured. Get the heck off the X!

Mr. Lee was incredibly lucky his wounds were not far worse.

Scary.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Just goes to show, BGs don't always give you the chance to comply. I'm surprised they even said anything to him prior to shooting. Makes me wonder why they bothered?

It's good to read that it didn't turn out much worse for him and this story makes me glad I started carrying all the time.
    SA Loaded 1911
    XD45 Service
    XDs45

AMEN
    2 Chronicles 7:14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Mr. Lee needs a good holster.

Bravo Zulu on him keeping a fighting mind-set during the attack!

Hope those dirt bags get caught soonest!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

I bet this guy will be carrying 24/7 now. especially if those guys were gang members and gun for him now...
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

I'm glad he decided to take it with him on this trip! Where would he be if he had left it home? Hope he recovers soon and the BG's get caught.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

3D
    "It's rough out there. You never know. So I decided to get my concealed weapon permit, hoping I'd never have to use it."

That's where I started too. If I ever need it I hope I have the "stay-in-the-fight" this man showed. This story wakes me up to a new scenario___no "talk" just immediate gunfire. Yikes!
    "It is easier to resist at the beginning than at the end"____Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519

That's where I started too. If I ever need it I hope I have the "stay-in-the-fight" this man showed. This story wakes me up to a new scenario___no "talk" just immediate gunfire. Yikes!
    at least it makes your choice easier...
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinNEPA View Post
    He said he was determined not to allow himself to be killed, for the sake of his children. He didn't want to leave them without a father.

"I can't even contemplate that, not being around my kids, not seeing them grow up," he said, his voice choking.
    This was the difference in the fight. If he'd hesitated, I'm guessing he would not be breathing.

Despite being shot four times, including two shots to the abdomen, no major organs were struck. Doctors operated on Lee's shattered hand and arm, but his abdominal wounds did not require surgery.
    i cannot seem to wrap my mind around this.. how often i hear something like this. does anyone know how packed your organs are in your body? it's not like you can very easily slide a bullet between your organs with out them touching the bullet... how does it not do damage?

how does it not do damage?
    There are also a lot of fleshy areas...depending on your body type... soft tissue injuries.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Nobody is sure if the BG's were hit and no mention yet of how many shots the victim fired at his assailant.
    BAsed on his wounds, either these guys are real bad shots or they were using small caliber weapons. I hope his was large enough that they find all four dead in a getaway car somewhere next month.

When I lived in an apartment years ago, I never exited my vehicle without my handgun in a folded newspaper my left hand with the grip where I could pull it out with my right hand. That way I could retrieve it with my right and fire as I threw the newspaper at my assailant.

I am too paranoid I guess, having been mugged and robbed twice before. And that was a bad neighborhood.

I feel real bad for this guy. He's working to provide for his family, not depending on the Government or Violence to put food on the table.
    Doing everything a responsible American should do, and he is put through this.

Quote Originally Posted by beaker View Post
    i cannot seem to wrap my mind around this.. how often i hear something like this. does anyone know how packed your organs are in your body? it's not like you can very easily slide a bullet between your organs with out them touching the bullet... how does it not do damage?
    Sure your organs are packed fairly close together, but most of your abdominal cavity is filled by your intestines and there is plenty of room for a smaller caliber, hardball bullet to slide through and merely displace rather than puncture them. They may be burned, and they may be cut but as long as the inner wall remains intact, surgery is unwarranted.

There's a video of the interview on youtube, I was pleased to discover that the good guy is black. Kind of turns CCW stereotypes on their ear.

Ryan
    Those who will not govern their own behavior are slaves waiting for a master; one will surely find them.

Quote Originally Posted by socal2310 View Post
    There's a video of the interview on youtube, I was pleased to discover that the good guy is black. Kind of turns CCW stereotypes on their ear.
    Finally...i'm tired of us being the BG
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Links