Good and Bad: More Chicago Justice

This is a discussion on Good and Bad: More Chicago Justice within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Chicagoans aren't going to just lay down! Bad that he may face charges because of the ban though.. Pawn shop owner kills would-be robber Pawn ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good and Bad: More Chicago Justice

Good and Bad: More Chicago Justice

Chicagoans aren't going to just lay down! Bad that he may face charges because of the ban though..

Pawn shop owner kills would-be robber

Pawn Shop Owner Kills Would-be Robber - WBBM 780 - Chicago's #1 source for local news, traffic and weather

CHICAGO (STMW) -- For the third time in two weeks, a citizen has shot a bad guy in the city.

A 23-year-old felon was shot to death as he tried to rob a Northwest Side pawnshop Tuesday afternoon.

Michael McMillan, 23, of 309 N. Menard, was pronounced dead at Our Lady of the Resurrection Medical Center at 1:17 p.m., according to the Cook County Medical Examiner’s office.

The slain suspect was convicted in 2006 of armed robbery and sentenced to boot camp, court records show.

Police sources said the owner of Fullerton Pawners Inc. shot the robber at about 1 p.m. inside the store. Two accomplices, one wearing a black backpack, ran away. One may have been wounded, sources said.

Police have recovered a revolver they believe the slain robber was wielding, sources said.

Joseph Barats, president of the store at 5900 W. Fullerton Ave., declined comment. On a YouTube video, Barats said the store is family-owned. He took over the business about five years ago, he says in the video.

“We have the nicest stuff,” he says. “We are like the real pawn stars. Every day something is happening here.”

Police were reviewing video of the incident, taken from a surveillance camera in the store, sources said.

Detectives also were interviewing witnesses Tuesday night to determine if any charges should be brought against the shooter — including charges involving the city’s handgun ban.

The U.S. Supreme Court is expected to rule this month on the constitutionality of Chicago’s longstanding ban. Already, members of the gun lobby have pointed to two earlier incidents as reasons to lift it.

On June 3, a 27-year-old South Austin man shot and wounded a man who jumped through the window of a home as he was running away from police officers during a drug bust. And on May 26, an 80-year-old Korean War veteran shot and killed a suspected burglar at his home in East Garfield Park. The veteran was robbed at gunpoint last year, his family said.

Neither resident was charged with violating the handgun ban. In both instances, the slain robbers were convicted felons.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

2. Remove Ads

Sounds like the citizens of Chicago have done more to clean up the city in a couple weeks than the "gun ban" has done since it was instituted.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Thinning the herd, it would appear.

It's too bad the owner is likely to get in trouble for defending himself...
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by san antone rr View Post
    It's too bad the owner is likely to get in trouble for defending himself...
    I just don't understand it, your tried by a jury of your peers, are all the people of Chicago this dumb?
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    I just don't understand it, your tried by a jury of your peers, are all the people of Chicago this dumb?
    the jury will probably be instructed to concentrate on the fact that he knowingly was breaking the law before this incident...but I bet it will be a hung jury.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Charges weren't brought in the prior cases and I doubt they will be this time either - in spite of the Chicago Tribune's lamentations.

Ryan
    Those who will not govern their own behavior are slaves waiting for a master; one will surely find them.

Once again the proof is in. Banning guns will not stop crime with guns. The thugs will obtain and use them no matter what type of ban is in effect.

The decent people of Chicago seem to be a bit tired of the current situation and are just taking initive to lessen the amount of armed thugs even in the face of prosecution for protecting themselves.

I say good shoot, shop owner. One down, many, many more to go.

Police have recovered a revolver they believe the slain robber was wielding, sources said.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    the jury will probably be instructed to concentrate on the fact that he knowingly was breaking the law before this incident...but I bet it will be a hung jury.

Would be time for a big dose of "jury nullification", IMHO

If Blago’s case Chicago Prosecutors Fear Lawyers Will Try for “Jury Nullification",

Chicago Prosecutors Fear Ex-Gov. Blago’s Lawyers Will Try for “Jury Nullification”
    Chicago Prosecutors Fear Ex-Gov. Blago’s Lawyers Will Try for “Jury Nullification” | Tickle The Wire

why are they not worry about it here?

In addition they couldn't get a conviction for bootlegging years ago. Gun bans are just another unreasonable "prohibition", IMHO.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member
    The slain suspect was convicted in 2006 of armed robbery and sentenced to boot camp, court records show.
    Sentenced to boot camp for armed robbery?!

I'm glad the owner is okay and hope that he will not be charged just as the others have not been.
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

Sentenced to boot camp for armed robbery?!
    he was a minor then? wait.... 23-4=19.... 0.o....shoudl be tried as an adult!
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Wonderfully ironic...the dirtbag was pronounced dead at Our Lady of Resurrection Medical Center...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Wonderfully ironic...the dirtbag was pronounced dead at Our Lady of Resurrection Medical Center...
    You got my vote for "Post of the Day!" Retsupt!
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    Another example that the people of Chicago are beginning to wake up! Daly may want to update his resume!
    NRA Life Member

I agree with everyone on here. Things may be changing for Chicago.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links