Oh Crap it happened.. OCer Robbed And Disarmed At Gun Point!

This is a discussion on Oh Crap it happened.. OCer Robbed And Disarmed At Gun Point! within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Damn, WI needs CCW. Man Legally Carrying Gun Robbed at Gunpoint | Today's TMJ4 - Milwaukee, Wisconsin News, Weather, Sports, WTMJ | Local News...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Oh Crap it happened.. OCer Robbed And Disarmed At Gun Point!

Oh Crap it happened.. OCer Robbed And Disarmed At Gun Point!

2. Remove Ads

Another reason I won't OC...no element of surprise
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Man Legally Carrying Gun Robbed at Gunpoint - Open Carry guy robbed

I did a search and hope it is not a dupe.....

This is why I go concealed only. I have tha advantge why the BG does not know I'm armed......

Man Legally Carrying Gun Robbed at Gunpoint
    By Melanie Stout

MILWAUKEE - A Milwaukee man found out the hard way that carrying a gun for protection doesn't always keep you safe. In fact, it may have made him a target.

The 34-year-old man legally owned a handgun and carried it out in the open in his holster for protection.

Neighbors say they knew he was always armed.

"It was kind of scary to just see him walking around all the time with that gun kind of just out in the open," said Shambria Mayham Autman. She lives near Teutonia and Good Hope and said they called him "The guy with the gun."

But it wasn't scary for at least one person who robbed "The guy with the gun" at gunpoint.

"I think he was trying to scare people off like, 'Yeah, don't mess with me,' kind of attitude, but it didn't work," Mayham Autman explained.

The president of Wisconsin Carry, Nik Clark, says 100's of thousands of people open carry and he's never heard of anything like this.

"So it really is a very unusual situation, very unique," Clark said.

The victim didn't want to go on camera but said he carried the gun because he had been jumped and held up at knife point in the past. He believes, in his case, open carry made him a target and he will no longer do it.

He said his case proves gun owners should have the right to carry concealed weapons.

Clark agrees. "By and large it is a significant deterrent, open carry is, but I think it really does make the point that Wisconsin should have concealed carry along with open carry so that people who live in a very high crime neighborhood where criminals aren't deterred by firearms would have the ability to conceal carry to protect themselves. The two really work hand in hand," Clark said.

Man Legally Carrying Gun Robbed at Gunpoint | Today's TMJ4 - Milwaukee, Wisconsin News, Weather, Sports, WTMJ | Local News
    1942 M3 Autocar Half-track...M3A1 Diamond T Half-track...57mm Anti-Tank Cannon

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

Quote Originally Posted by TMJ4 News
    Man Legally Carrying Gun Robbed at Gunpoint
    By Melanie Stout

MILWAUKEE - A Milwaukee man found out the hard way that carrying a gun for protection doesn't always keep you safe. In fact, it may have made him a target.

The 34-year-old man legally owned a handgun and carried it out in the open in his holster for protection.

Neighbors say they knew he was always armed.

"It was kind of scary to just see him walking around all the time with that gun kind of just out in the open," said Shambria Mayham Autman. She lives near Teutonia and Good Hope and said they called him "The guy with the gun."

But it wasn't scary for at least one person who robbed "The guy with the gun" at gunpoint.

"I think he was trying to scare people off like, 'Yeah, don't mess with me,' kind of attitude, but it didn't work," Mayham Autman explained.

The president of Wisconsin Carry, Nik Clark, says 100's of thousands of people open carry and he's never heard of anything like this.

"So it really is a very unusual situation, very unique," Clark said.

The victim didn't want to go on camera but said he carried the gun because he had been jumped and held up at knife point in the past. He believes, in his case, open carry made him a target and he will no longer do it.

He said his case proves gun owners should have the right to carry concealed weapons.

Clark agrees. "By and large it is a significant deterrent, open carry is, but I think it really does make the point that Wisconsin should have concealed carry along with open carry so that people who live in a very high crime neighborhood where criminals aren't deterred by firearms would have the ability to conceal carry to protect themselves. The two really work hand in hand," Clark said.

Wisconsin definitely needs to get ccw passed!

Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch
    Another reason I won't OC...no element of surprise
    +1 sketch... I'm not opposed to open carry, it's just not for me. I never open carried in Missouri before ccw passed even though Missouri was an open carry State. However, in Kansas City, where I lived, there were local ordinances against it, so essentially, you couldn't open carry anyway.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

EDIT: So this thread won.

So nobody says whether they took the gun or not? Makes me wonder if they saw it. Before anyone balks at that I can point you in the direction of an OC'r who was getting in their car. Somebody tried to rob him and the guy returned fire. OC isn't a cure all for getting robbed. If he thought it was that was his first mistake, I guess. I OC, and i don't see one incident changing that. Wonder if the guy did not have the mindset to act or was actually so far behind the curve he could not do anything? Would like to see more if anyone knows. Might check OCDO.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

To bad the story doesn't state how things happened. A lot of important information is missing but I doubt this is going to discourage anyone from OC'ing.

I can't really see someone OC'ing that is robbed and left with the weapon. They are looking for anything of value, a gun is valuable.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by WhoWeBePart1 View Post
    To bad the story doesn't state how things happened. A lot of important information is missing but I doubt this is going to discourage anyone from OC'ing.
    Agreed.
    This 'report' is garbage.

No facts toward the actual incident...Just garbage about how the neighbors felt in the past and how the victim will act in the future.

In other news, Janq's pool has water in it and it's blue...!

- Eyewitness News

P.S. - Completely agreed with ctsketch.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by WhoWeBePart1 View Post
    I agree! I would love to know more of the details around it.

Unfortunately, the news media never write their stories for our benefit.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post

In other news, Janq's pool has water in it and it's blue...!

- Eyewitness News

P.S. - Completely agreed with ctsketch.
    Cool! Hey everyone, Pool party at Janq's! Last one in's a Liberal....
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    So nobody says whether they took the gun or not? Makes me wonder if they saw it. Before anyone balks at that I can point you in the direction of an OC'r who was getting in their car. Somebody tried to rob him and the guy returned fire. OC isn't a cure all for getting robbed. If he thought it was that was his first mistake, I guess. I OC, and i don't see one incident changing that. Wonder if the guy did not have the mindset to act or was actually so far behind the curve he could not do anything? Would like to see more if anyone knows. Might check OCDO.
    His SA would have probably helped him...even if you are CCing and someone gets the drop on you they might find your gun and disarm you too...
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    His SA would have probably helped him...even if you are CCing and someone gets the drop on you they might find your gun and disarm you too...
    Right, but you have a lot of options while they are, what, frisking you? OC seems to take away the very-important (if not all-important) element of surprise. It's allowed here in MI, but I've never seen anyone do it. Most of the black belts in my karate organization CC, seeing the handgun as just another option in self-defense.
    "Be justified. Blood may be easily wiped from the sword.
    It cannot, however, be put back from where it came." --Quicksabre

Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    But the notable difference, and advantage, is that unless and until your attacker goes hands on to you...The assumption is that you are merely a defenseless rabbit.

This alone presents great tactical advantage that the victim can manipulate in real time and use to their survival advantage.
    People who carry concealed and have been run up on by dogs have done just this.

Rabbits who in an unexpected unpredictable instant as under duress show fangs and become as a wolverine...

A wolverine fights off an unwelcome bear
    YouTube - A wolverine fights off an unwelcome bear...

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

This story seems awfully fishy to me.. and if he allowed himself to be robbed at gun point while carrying a firearm means he is poorly trained. It doesnt mean OC is a bad idea, just that if you are going to OC be prepared.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links