19 fatally shot at drug rehab center in Mexico

This is a discussion on 19 fatally shot at drug rehab center in Mexico within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; And the Mexican Auth. wonder why we are protecting our borders? 19 fatally shot at drug rehab center in Mexico | ajc.com...

Thread: 19 fatally shot at drug rehab center in Mexico

19 fatally shot at drug rehab center in Mexico

And the Mexican Auth. wonder why we are protecting our borders?
    19 fatally shot at drug rehab center in Mexico | ajc.com
    S&W M&P 9C
    RUGER LCP
    S&W 5906
    COLT DET. SPEC.
    S&W 686-6"
    "If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck", Author un-known

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Ya think that just maaaaaaaaaaybe it was drug related??
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Drug rehab is not good for drug sellers.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

VIP Member
    President Felipe Calderon, whose war on drugs has claimed nearly 23,000 lives since he took office in late 2006...
    Yeah, right. While I'm not the biggest fan of President Calderon, he certainly didn't start this "war," nor is he responsible for 23,000 deaths. That responsibility lies with the murdering narcotrafficantes themselves...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

We need to get our border secured before this crap becomes a regular event on our side of the river!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I know this will be unpopular, but the United State's War on Drugs is what fuels Mexican drug cartel activities in the United States. It's illegal here. People demand it anyway. When there is a huge profit in breaking the law, the stakes go up. It's just like alcohol prohibition.

Now, I'm not saying drugs are a good idea. But I will say two things. It would be disingenuous to suggest that Mexican drug cartels cause people in the United States to want drugs. (Please note I am not insinuating that anyone has said this.) And in a time when our government is in way over it's head financially maybe it would behoove people in the long run to allow more freedoms, not less.

Someone has a sig line in one of these forums that says, "Pay attention, because every time a law is passed you lose a little bit more freedom." I don't think the fed has any more business passing drug laws than it did enacting prohibition. Now individual states; yes. If say state A wants legal drugs and neighboring state B does not; fine. I doubt very much if you would have as much drug violence if the druggies could just move someplace that would indulge them. Finding a state to volunteer might be tough, but whatever.

I know it almost sounds like ending crime by declaring it legal, but there is a difference. Just like alcohol, no one has to use drugs. I don't even really like to take Tylenol or TheraFlu, but that's just me. But the actual drugs themselves are responsible for little of the violence. I'm sure some people do use drugs and then commit crimes under the influence; the same thing happens with alcohol. Anything that impairs your judgment does just that; it impairs your ability to make decisions. But the bulk of the violence, and I mean the vast majority, is involved in the trafficking and sale of said contraband.

I just think it's manifestly clear that drug prohibition isn't doing any more to prevent drug use than prohibition prevented drinking. And that the criminal impact of the two are very similar. It just seems like a lot of time, money and lives wasted on trying to get people to make good life decisions. You just can't make people be smarter or better than they want to be. It's sad, but true.

VIP Member

A qualified +1 re: WvHiker

Quote Originally Posted by WvHiker View Post

Someone has a sig line in one of these forums that says, "Pay attention, because every time a law is passed you lose a little bit more freedom." I don't think the fed has any more business passing drug laws than it did enacting prohibition.
    Well it took a Constitutional amendment to achieve prohibition. So that at least was fully constitutional. I have not ever quite understood how it is that while such was needed to prohibit alcohol, it isn't also needed to prohibit the sale of other substances of abuse.

I'm not taking sides here, especially not for the pro-drug side, but I don't comprehend the legal distinction.

Links