BAD: Man brutally beaten by teens at public park (WA)

This is a discussion on BAD: Man brutally beaten by teens at public park (WA) within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This park is right across the street from the bank where I nearly got jumped a while back (There is a thread laying around here ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BAD: Man brutally beaten by teens at public park (WA)

BAD: Man brutally beaten by teens at public park (WA)

This park is right across the street from the bank where I nearly got jumped a while back (There is a thread laying around here somewhere on it). This is right on the main North-South arterial near one of the busiest intersections leading to I-5.

My question is, why in the name of all that is good, would he let a group of eight teens get that close to him in the first place? Condition White? I hurt just looking at the pictures of the guy!

Man brutally beaten by teens at public park

A man says he was nearly beaten to death in Comeford Park in what believes was an part of a gang initiation.

"I think it was more of a gang initiation thing that this one guy had to prove that he was the guy," said the man, who wished to remain anonymous.

The 51-year-old man said he had simply stopped during a bike ride to rest at the public park when at least eight teenagers knocked him to the ground and began kicking him in the head.

Blood splatters from the man's brutal beating can still be seen at the park, but those reminders haven't kept him away.

"I don't want them to think this is their territory. I'm still here," he said.

Area resident Kim Howard is urging the community to get involved. She said police officers can't be everywhere, and it's time the community started policing itself.

"Families come to this park, elderly. What's it going to take? For someone to get murdered in this park?" she said. "Don't be afraid of these kids. You have a right to be in it."

So far this year, Marysville police have received 20 complaints about Comeford Park, and they've made 10 warrant arrests there.

The police chief said he plans to assign a specific unit to that park to curb crime.

The maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters.

2. Remove Ads

I would have been in trouble, my Glock-36 is only 6 + 1, I would have had to switch mags to finish explaining to the dirtbags why they shouldn't pick on an old man...

Hope these thugs run into the wrong victim...real soon!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I would have been in trouble, my Glock-36 is only 6 + 1, I would have had to switch mags to finish explaining to the dirtbags why they shouldn't pick on an old man...
    - If I was going to stroll through that park, it would be with a NY reload.

You'll be alright, as soon as they see the muzzle of that .45, they'll wet themselves
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

jfl
    I would have been in trouble, my Glock-36 is only 6 + 1, I would have had to switch mags to finish explaining to the dirtbags why they shouldn't pick on an old man... .......................
    Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    - If I was going to stroll through that park, it would be with a NY reload.
    From what I have read there are very few (none) examples of a group of of BG continuing an attack after some of them have been hit by gunfire, unless it is a "contract" or a mafia turf war.
    But the little gang-bangers, naw !
    I still like it that my G-26 has 13 rds (+2) and 1 in the pipe.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    anywhere, anytime...

I hope they catch said gang
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

What a bunch of cowards. A group of teenagers against 1 guy who just stopped to take a break from a bike ride?

I hope this man and others visiting the park (or anywhere for that matter) will arm themselves and be more ready next time.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed."
    -Alexander Hamilton

I mountain bike a lot. When I ride so does my friend. 45 acp and spare mag always, sometimes 2 mags. You just never know when or where but have to prepare as best as you can.....hopefully it won't!
    As for the guy in the video.....it ticks me off when bystanders are subject to a beating like that and it's for nothing.

hm, in my neck of the woods. Did not hear about it tell now.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

She said police officers can't be everywhere, and it's time the community started policing itself.
    Very bright citizen, there. Yes, people should manage their own security. Nobody else is going to be there on the instant of an attack, and nobody is going to be so interested in your surviving one than you. Be capable of protecting yourself ... or not. But accept the simple fact that this is the only decision you really need to make.

"Families come to this park, elderly. What's it going to take? For someone to get murdered in this park?" she said.
    Yes, probably. Better that the attacking felons get put down, then. Time to step up to the responsibility we each have for our own security. Nothing else is going to achieve it, except that.

The police chief said he plans to assign a specific unit to that park to curb crime.
    I highly doubt that officers are on-site 24x7. Even if they were, I highly doubt that it would stop 100% of all violent person crimes. The police chief was correct by saying that even this tactic can only hope to "curb" crime (ie, reducing it somewhat). That, alone, doesn't have any hope of stopping it altogether. Which means, you either take additional precautions as an individual and family, or you get what you get.

Time to wake up and smell the coffee, neighbors. Our neighborhoods simply aren't what we wish them to be. So, let's make them exactly that by taking them back. Can't be doing that while being utterly incapable of withstanding a physical attack.

The 51-year-old man said he had simply stopped during a bike ride to rest at the public park ...
    On several occasions in the past 15yrs, I have seen small groups of aggressive-looking young males who moved around the park or other space in concert, obviously trolling for potential victims. So far, I have been able to pick them out as they've started their trolling (since, being young, they made it fairly obvious). In each instance, they moved away toward others the moment it was evident I saw them and knew what they were about. My I remain as vigilant and lucky each time in the future, as these instances in the past. Condolences to the man, his family, and neighbors everywhere who have to deal with this sort of thing.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

A good argument for hi-cap magazines!
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

You would have been in good shape after you shot the first one, as the others would have scattered like cockroaches in the light.
    Tom
    Osculare pultem meam! - Kiss my grits!

Quote Originally Posted by RemMod597 View Post
    My question is, why in the name of all that is good, would he let a group of eight teens get that close to him in the first place?
    Because he's a dumb . Nothing bad could ever happen to him, of course.

...Plus he rides a bike in Seattle which means he's probably a stupid hippie.

Sorry for his beating! Hope the BG's get caught or shot!

My thoughts on the whole event is his SA was not working, I'd have picked a different spot for my break!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

3D
    I sure hope he has something 'convincing' under that grey sweatshirt after just 'challenging' them for more. . . . "I don't want them to think this is their territory. I'm still here," he said.

. . . and NO even someone being killed there won't have the community doing much to protect themselves and keep it safe.
    "It is easier to resist at the beginning than at the end"____Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links