Failed attempt at MacDill?

This is a discussion on Failed attempt at MacDill? within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Armed pair held at Central Command base - CNN.com MacDill Air Force Base, Florida (CNN) -- All gates at MacDill Air Force Base in Florida ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Failed attempt at MacDill?

Armed pair held at Central Command base - CNN.com
    MacDill Air Force Base, Florida (CNN) -- All gates at MacDill Air Force Base in Florida will be open Tuesday after being temporarily closed after a heavily armed man and woman were taken into custody when they tried to enter the facility without authorization, an Air Force spokeswoman said.

They were stopped at a gate at the base that houses the headquarters for U.S. troops in Iraq and Afghanistan early Monday evening after they could not show proper identification, Senior Airman Katherine Holt said. A search of the vehicle after they were detained found military-style uniforms and gear and several "rifle-type" weapons, Holt said.

The two were questioned Monday evening, another Air Force spokeswoman, Elizabeth Gosselin said.

Authorities cordoned off their sport utility vehicle and searched it using a robot, but no explosives were found, Holt said. Video showed base personnel removing weapons, ammunition and military-style clothing from the vehicle, which was later towed away.

The Tampa, Florida, installation houses the headquarters of U.S. Central Command, which runs the U.S. wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, as well as the U.S. Special Operations Command.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

2. Remove Ads

You don't do this kinda thing by accident...sounds like they were planning something
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Hmmm. (adjusts tin foil hat) Now the weapons and uniforms are inside the base, next step is to get on base and get to the weapons and uniforms...

I don't like what I'm thinkin'
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

That's about 10 minutes from my house. I'd be curious to hear the names.
    But they evidently just drove up to the gate, so it doesn't sound like a planned terrorist operation. If I hear more, I'll add it here.

Our son is reporting to McDill this month. He is a Marine not Air Force (not that there's anything wrong with that). So this was interesting. Glad the guys were on the ball...they need to be shot!

I doubt that this is any accident...guns and uniforms?
    Smells of very bad intentions to me.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Ft. Hood wannabes? don't they realize that only works if you are AUTHORIZED to be on base? haha.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

From Air Force Times web site.

No other details available, other than what has been posted...
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

To me, there is nothing to see here....the hype about "military-style gear and weapons" means nothing.

What is "military-style gear"?

Weapons? Rifles, shotguns??

The fact they did not have explosives is telling...that there is nothing here.

The fact they did not have the proper ID is telling...that there is nothing here.

I don't think this was an attempt....it MIGHT be a probe....but it might not. There is nothing to base a conclusion on...

or it might be someone who made a wrong turn...asked for directions....asked to show ID....had their vehicles searched....and had rifles/shotguns.

Nothing to report, IMO...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

As all of us who were or are in the military know's that there is definetly tons more to this story that is not being told to the public. It'll be interesting to see what comes of this.

The fact they did not have explosives is telling...that there is nothing here.

The fact they did not have the proper ID is telling...that there is nothing here.
    Or it could be a pair of idiots instead of a trained terror cell
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Since I'm in Tampa, I've been following the story all day. The Air Force is not saying much. Here's what they are saying. A man and a woman approached the Bayshore Gate (not the main gate) and attempted to gain entry using fake ID's.
    Something tipped off the patrol and a dog sniffed explosives in the car. None were found. However, there were several rifles and several handguns in the back of the SUV. The man is AWOL from a branch of the military. They're not saying which. The man and woman have a relationship, but they're not saying how. The two did not offer resistance. They have not released his name. (?) They claim there are no ties to terrorism. (so tell us his name then.)
    That is all the news has.

The Guy Was (AWOL) From what I gathered, Heard on the News. Glad they
    Stopped them 3-Handguns & 3-Rifle Like Weapons & Ammo ; )
    H/D PS Sorry Guns & More I Just Heard on News
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

VIP Member
    Here is the latest from the SPT:

TAMPA — The man and woman arrived at MacDill Air Force Base as it cleared out for the day. They slowed the sport utility vehicle and showed identification.

In the Honda were six guns, ammunition and military-style clothing. The man, active duty military, reportedly was absent without leave.

But the military security guard didn't know that.

Only the IDs raised a flag. They appeared to be fake, base officials said Tuesday.

Authorities provided few details about the pair who tried to enter the base's Bayshore Boulevard gate about 5 p.m. Monday, but said they were U.S. citizens in their mid-20s. Their names and relationship were not released; nor was the man's military branch.

As of Tuesday evening, it was unclear if they were still detained; if so, where; and whether they face charges.

The man would be under military jurisdiction, said MacDill spokesman Mark Graff.

The woman, a civilian, could wind up in federal court if prosecuted, according to Col. Dave Cohen, 6th Air Mobility Wing vice commander.
    More here: Armed man at MacDill was AWOL from military, official says - St. Petersburg Times
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    Or it could be a pair of idiots instead of a trained terror cell
    I'm going with "idiots" for $200, Alex
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links