Utah prisoner faces death by firing squad

This is a discussion on Utah prisoner faces death by firing squad within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Utah prisoner faces death by firing squad Utah prisoner faces death by firing squad | World news | The Guardian "Gardner, 49, will be taken ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Utah prisoner faces death by firing squad

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar

Utah prisoner faces death by firing squad | World news | The Guardian

"Gardner, 49, will be taken at midnight into a specially designed execution chamber in Utah state prison in Draper, Utah. A target will be placed over his heart, and then in the first minutes of Friday five unidentified law enforcement officers will line up in front of him with .30-calibre rifles. After Gardner is allowed to say his last words, they will be ordered to fire at the target."

"In April, Gardner told a judge: "I would like the firing squad, please."

"Last week Gardner appeared before a five-member board of pardons to plead for them to commute the sentence.

He said that he was a changed man and that he wanted to devote his life to helping abused children.

"I'm really remorseful. I don't want to live for the sake of living. If I can help somebody and be a positive influence, that's what I want," he told the board."

"The execution is set for just after midnight (2 a.m. ET) at the Utah State Prison in Draper, about 20 miles south of Salt Lake City."
    Inmate set to die by firing squad asks high court to stay execution - CNN.com -

"Ronnie Lee Gardner is scheduled to die by firing squad this Friday, June 18;"
    http://www.examiner.com/x-19632-Salt...ed-for-June-18

2. Remove Ads

To be honest I didn't even know that was still an option for the death penalty, let alone one that a prisoner could request.
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DIABLO9489 View Post
    To be honest I didn't even know that was still an option for the death penalty, let alone one that a prisoner could request.
    I didn't either; that's mostly what I found interesting about the story - because you never hear of execution by a firing squad anymore.

Interesting... here's how he got to choose:

"State lawmakers made lethal injection the default capital punishment in 2004, but at least three inmates who already had chosen the firing squad were grandfathered in under the new law."

Well, GOOD FOR HIM for choosing the firing squad, makes things less expensive and gives more of a true meaning of the word execution.

I would have volunteered for the job:

- Have gun, will travel. -
    "Someday someone may kill you with your own gun but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty."

"Leave the gun, take the cannoli."

I think Utah is the only state with that option. Frankly, should be open to all 50 states (or 57 states, depending on who is counting)--mandatory for child molesters and abusers . I doubt you would have a shortage of volunteers.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

VIP Member
    I hope he doesn't ask the squad what make of rifle they are using.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    I hope he doesn't ask the squad what make of rifle they are using.
    why?
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

I'll chip in for bullets...I believe only one (unknown) person actually has a live round.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    why?
    Well, it's like all the pleasant LEO stops you read about here. The guy asks, "hay, what are you guys going to shoot me with?" Then they a get to talking about their guns and before you know it, the guy is making jokes with the firing squad. Then they give him a warning and he walks out of the gates with a smile.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

LOL
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Administrator

Question

I think they all have live rounds but, the deal is that no person on the squad knows which bullet from which gun did the actual killing.

Any Utah Firing Squad Experts Here?

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I'll chip in for bullets...I believe only one (unknown) person actually has a live round.

It's just the opposite of what I thought (only one with a live round).
    Here's what I found...

How It Works: Firing squad executions are so incredibly rare in the United States that it is difficult to speak of a standard operating procedure, but historically the victim is strapped to a chair, five sharpshooters aim at the victim's heart, and all five pull the trigger. One of the sharpshooters is secretly armed with a blank round, which means that each shooter can rest comfortably in the knowledge that there is a 20% chance that she never shot the prisoner.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    I think they all have live rounds but, the deal is that no person on the squad knows which bullet from which gun did the actual killing.

Any Utah Firing Squad Experts Here?
    According to this article. 4 of the firing squad will have live rounds.

Utah Firing Squad Execution: Details Released on Ronnie Lee Gardner's Execution - Crimesider - CBS News
    - Zen Saying

What a waste of a bullet......use a rope an it can be reused!

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KWAG View Post
    What a waste of a bullet......use a rope an it can be reused!
    +1

I don't get "humane execution" . If your convicted to be executed, your crimes WEREN'T humane, so why should we treat you with respect?

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links