Amy Bishop - Continued

This is a discussion on Amy Bishop - Continued within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The original thread is now closed so I'm starting a new one here as an update. ~~~ Ala. Prof Charged in Brother's 1986 Shooting Death ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amy Bishop - Continued

Amy Bishop - Continued

The original thread is now closed so I'm starting a new one here as an update.

~~~

Ala. Prof Charged in Brother's 1986 Shooting Death
    Ala. professor accused in campus slayings indicted on murder charge in brother's 1986 shooting
    The Associated Press
    3 comments
    By BOB SALSBERG Associated Press Writer
    CANTON, Mass. June 16, 2010 (AP)

It was "obviously" a homicide case, a former prosecutor says, but authorities didn't have the evidence to present it to a grand jury at the time. Twenty-four-years lapsed and three other killings occurred before another prosecutor did.

Amy Bishop, the biology professor charged with killing three of her colleagues at an Alabama university, has been indicted on a first-degree murder charge in the 1986 shooting death of her brother in Massachusetts, prosecutors announced Wednesday.

Prosecutors who originally concluded that Bishop accidentally killed her 18-year-old brother, Seth, now say police failed to share important evidence, including an alleged carjacking attempt by Amy Bishop after the shooting. They reopened the case after Bishop was charged in February with gunning down six of her colleagues at the University of Alabama-Huntsville, killing three.

Norfolk District Attorney William Keating said he did not understand why charges were never brought against Bishop.

"I can't give you any explanations, I can't give you excuses, because there are none," he said. "Jobs weren't done, responsibilities weren't met and justice wasn't served."

Bishop had told police who investigated her brother's death that she accidentally shot him while trying to unload her father's 12-gauge shotgun in the family's Braintree home. Her mother, Judith, the only witness to the shooting, confirmed her daughter's account to police.

U.S. Rep. William Delahunt, who was then the Norfolk County district attorney, said that Braintree police never told anyone in his office that after Bishop shot her brother, she tried to commandeer a getaway car at gunpoint at a local car dealership, then refused to drop her gun until officers ordered her to do so repeatedly. Those events were described in Braintree police reports but not in a report written by a state police detective assigned to the district attorney's office.

The police chief of Braintree at the time of the shooting did not immediately return a phone call Wednesday seeking comment...

The full story can be found at; Ala. Prof Charged in Brother's 1986 Shooting Death - ABC News

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

2. Remove Ads

Jang, thanks for the post. i've been following this one closely. It appears that the state trooper assigned to investigate the case for the prosecutor did not talk with the Braintree police.

The Braintree police allowed Amy's mother to take her home after the shooting, assault with a deadly weapon and some other serious stuff.

VIP Member
    The issue of how the case was either botched or just went unnoticed is interesting, but personally I find the question of what is wrong inside this lady absolutely intriguing.

She and the Dutch Boy (no slur on the paint product) should be kept and studied.

Someone needs to go through ever millimeter of both their brains with MRIs, PETscans and anything else anyone can think of.

We need to find out how such monsters become that way.

To my view this is a classic representation of privilege as related to how some people are treated, and most are not.

Per reports prior (at the other thread) her parents at that time were persons of means and known among the community including having then had a relationship of some sort with the now retired chief of police.

This gal not only shot her brother to death but she fled with the firearm and invaded a local car dealership holding persons at bay with that same gun until police talked her down...Without a shot.

Had this been _me_ (at age 17) or most any of the rest of us here at this forum, we'd be either dead (me) as shot that day by the police or still serving time right now.

Then she goes on to assault woman later in life and again she gets off unscathed, not even a formal charge.

They say justice is blind.
    I say persons who think and believe that are deaf and dumb.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

If they would deal with these people on the first incident, we would not have to worry about the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc., etc., etc.!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    Janq - agree 100%, and this is another correlation to Dutch Boy. Wealth and privilege still go hand in hand...

I like to think things are a LITTLE better than they were in '86, but I know that they are, at best, just that little bit...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Hopefully, even though it's after the fact and failed to prevent the follow on incident, they get it right this time.

I'm right down the road from UAH. My wife is a licensed professional counselor, and did some of the crisis counseling after the event.

Hopefully the insanity plea fails and they can send her down to see "Yellow Mama" or its replacement.
    AlabamaConstitution of 1819: That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defence of himself and the state.
    The world doesn't owe you anything. It was here first.-Mark Twain
    "Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
    Sig P228; Micro Desert Eagle; S&W M&P Compact .357 sig

VIP Member
    AP source: Accused prof attempts suicide in jail
    MONTGOMERY, Ala. (AP) — The biology professor charged with killing three Alabama university colleagues in a shooting rampage attempted suicide in jail early Friday, a person with knowledge of the case told The Associated Press.

Amy Bishop, 45, survived and has been returned to a cell at the Huntsville jail after treatment at a hospital, the person said. Other details were not given.

The person spoke on condition of anonymity because of a court order barring law enforcement and numerous parties to the case from commenting publicly. Madison County Chief Deputy Chris Stephens cited the gag order in declining comment.

Bishop's husband, Jim Anderson, told the AP he has been kept in the dark and that authorities "have not had the common courtesy" to return his calls after news media in Huntsville reported that Bishop was taken to Huntsville Hospital.

Hospital officials also declined comment.

Bishop has been at the jail in Huntsville since she was booked on a capital murder charge in the February shootings, which erupted during a biology department faculty meeting. Six colleagues were wounded, three fatally.

The report on her attempt to take her life came the same week that authorities in Boston announced that a grand jury had indicted her for murder in the 1986 shooting death of her brother, 18-year-old Seth Bishop.
    EarthLink - U.S. News
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member

re: Janq, privilege

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    To my view this is a classic representation of privilege as related to how some people are treated,
    - Janq
    Privilege allowed this one and Van der Sloot to get away with their crime but I doubt that privilege is the root of the pathology that allows them to kill.

While famous repeat killers as Dahmer and BTK appear to be very different people from either Bishop or BTK, all of them have pieces that aren't working.

I suspect if we knew the details of the early lives of each, we could with hindsight see that they were "different" at a very early age. Can we learn enough by studying such people to in the future, prevent such crimes and divert potential killers from doing their act?

We will never know if our only response it to execute them pronto or hold them in isolation in prison where they can not be well studied.

(As for being well studied, if executed I would like their post-mortem brains sectioned and studied nonometer by nanometer. The U. Texas tower shooter did have a brain tumor if my memory on that is right.)

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I suspect if we knew the details of the early lives of each, we could with hindsight see that they were "different" at a very early age. Can we learn enough by studying such people to in the future, prevent such crimes and divert potential killers from doing their act?
    I would be VERY interested to hear how you "prevent" somebody from commiting a crime they MAY commit in the FUTURE based on what SOMEBODY ELSE did in the PAST.
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Privilege allowed this one and Van der Sloot to get away with their crime but I doubt that privilege is the root of the pathology that allows them to kill.
    I'd doubt same, although that is not what my statement was toward.
    Their pathology as to why they kill is an unknown to me, and likely will be to anyone.

But as to this woman clearly privilege has allowed her to escape penalty through life from the first incident as a child to even the second albeit much more minor fracas that for anyone else would have resulted in an assault charge.

- Janq

VIP Member

re: Free American

Quote Originally Posted by Free American View Post
    I would be VERY interested to hear how you "prevent" somebody from commiting a crime they MAY commit in the FUTURE based on what SOMEBODY ELSE did in the PAST.
    With our present knowledge you are absolutely correct that there is nothing whatsoever that would be predictive or that could be used to somehow prevent a future act.

That doesn't mean that at some time in the future we won't have predictors which might allow interventions. These might be quite minor alterations in how we teach our young people to obtain a conscience and obey it.

But, you are basically correct that it is difficult to imagine a pre-crime intervention strategy other than additional parental guidance or family guidance on such matters as anger control and conscience.

Anyway, that we don't have the knowledge now, doesn't mean these folks shouldn't be studied. We might learn something.

VIP Member
    Agree, Hopyard. I don't think either of us envisions some sort of Minority Report "pre-crime" scenario, just a better understanding of brain structure and/or behavioral clues that might allow an "intervention" earlier in life if someone displays the biological and social tendencies towards this sort of behavior.

Socialization, education, medication, or simple TLC delivered at the right time may, in some cases, prove helpful once we know more about who to target and how to target them...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    They say justice is blind.
    I say persons who think and believe that are deaf and dumb.

- Janq
    Janq,

I agree with you on most things. Not on this one.

Justice is blind. The current version we see of it is marred and broken, and therefore, not blind.

The ideal, which we would hope to be the goal, is rarely, if ever, in existence in our system today.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

So Colt what you're saying then is that you do in fact agree with me here right now as related to real world functional results.

I do agree with you that the "ideal" should be hoped to be the goal (and standard!), but it rarely if ever is in existence as a practiced functionally within our system...Today, here right now as in the real world.

Don't get me wrong as my tone in my post prior is not one of cynicism, nor statement that blind justice is impossible or even improbable at all ever.
    I was then and am now merely speaking toward the reflection that is in front of my eyes yesterday and today.

I cannot predict the future; Although in my world view if one and one equaled two yesterday and equals same today. Then well I am likely to bet that the sum will remain same as in the weeks and months to come. Until something otherwise causes the sum and/or my view of the sum to differ from wht is is and has long been.

- Janq

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links