kid with toy soldiers- banned in school

This is a discussion on kid with toy soldiers- banned in school within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I wonder what would happen if the class play was history based about the revolutionary war. The soldiers would have no guns? Would they be ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: kid with toy soldiers- banned in school

I wonder what would happen if the class play was history based about the revolutionary war. The soldiers would have no guns? Would they be allowed to use broom sticks to simulate guns or would the mere suggestion of guns be banned from our history lesson?

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by P7fanatic View Post
    Or be a public school teacher, principal or administrator. That's not redundant, is it?

Just one more example of why we need 'school vouchers'.

This is getting way out of hand and to tell you the truth, IMO, the Dept. of Education (with the help of the politically correct progressives) have destroyed the public education system in this country.

So sad..............

I don't think it's fair to lump all teachers and principals together as having zero IQ to do the job. There are allot of very good ones out there doing their best within the guidelines forced upon them. The problems usually stem from the school boards who create these zero tolerance policies. If you're in an area where these positions are elected, it's time to start voting these people out.

Quote Originally Posted by CCWFlaRuger View Post
    PC really is getting quite a bit suffocating... I can understand "NO toy guns" in school, or on a plane. Not the time or place. I can even understand "NO war toys" in school. It is a distraction and honestly, that sort of horse play should stay out of school, let the kids focus and pass their standardized tests. But as a patriotic decoration? Why is there no interpretation here? Is the toy soldier going to start a riot in school? IMHO, this is borderline 1st ammendment violation. Freedom of expression is being trampled on here. Were will it stop?
    I agree, that kids don't need toy guns in school, but if it's at recess and/or in the proper context, there is nothing wrong with them playing "Army" or "cops and robbers". Don't forget, one of the key components to sending kids to public schools is the active socialization. If it was all about academcs, we could hire tutors and lock them in a room all day. Playing those types of games are how children socialize/develop their concepts of good and bad, right and wrong. When we take that away from kids, we stop raising citizens and start breeding .
    AlabamaConstitution of 1819: That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defence of himself and the state.
    The world doesn't owe you anything. It was here first.-Mark Twain
    "Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
    Sig P228; Micro Desert Eagle; S&W M&P Compact .357 sig

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    I have an idea, those little green Army Men are about $2 for 50 at Dollar General...who is with me on sending a bag to the principal. Maybe he'll stroke out from fear!?!?
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    I wonder if they're going to start banning history books because they have pictures or detailed descriptions of cannons or muskets?
    That is a very good question. It would not surprise me in the least if they ban or keep certain military history books with photos and some videos from the kids. As in Banned in Boston.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

I will quote one of the local morning radio talk show hosts here..."Goodbye Sweet America!!!!!"
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

What someone surprised by the Vaginocracy that controls the Public Schools? The education system has been feminizing boys for the past quarter century, this is just the latest.

Too afraid to acknowledge that the people he is trying to honor are fighting and dying for his right to free speech, among others.

Glock Certified Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by MSteve View Post
    I don't think it's fair to lump all teachers and principals together as having zero IQ to do the job. There are allot of very good ones out there doing their best within the guidelines forced upon them. The problems usually stem from the school boards who create these zero tolerance policies. If you're in an area where these positions are elected, it's time to start voting these people out.
    I'll agree with you...partially...

Unfortunately, these administrators don't seem to learn from others mistakes when they make these asinine decisions....I mean, do they NOT read the news about an idiotic school administrator prohibiting something as innocuous as a 2" action figure? because it has a teeny tiny gun its hand?? Makes me question their decision-making ability...thus, their ability to do their job.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

This is very sad! I guess you cant teach U.S. History any more either cause wars had guns in them and they depict violence! GIVE ME A F'N BREAK!!!!
    S&W M&P 9C
    RUGER LCP
    S&W 5906
    COLT DET. SPEC.
    S&W 686-6"
    "If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck", Author un-known

Quite awhile ago there was a story about a boy in kindergarden that kissed a little girl in his class and they suspended him for sexual assault. Or the little boy who was charged for drug possession for taking an aspirin to school for a headache. GIVE ME A BREAK!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    I'll agree with you...partially...

Unfortunately, these administrators don't seem to learn from others mistakes when they make these asinine decisions....I mean, do they NOT read the news about an idiotic school administrator prohibiting something as innocuous as a 2" action figure? because it has a teeny tiny gun its hand?? Makes me question their decision-making ability...thus, their ability to do their job.
    You and I are talking the same language. I have several relatives and friends who are teachers. Very, very few of these policies come from anyone in the actual school building. They come from school boards/superintendants completely disconected from the actual learning process, whose primary concerns are money and liability. That's not to say there aren't plenty of idiotic teachers/principlas out there making these idiotic choices too, they have their duds like any other group, but it's far from 100%.
    AlabamaConstitution of 1819: That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defence of himself and the state.
    The world doesn't owe you anything. It was here first.-Mark Twain
    "Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
    Sig P228; Micro Desert Eagle; S&W M&P Compact .357 sig

VIP Member

RI boy who made banned toy soldier hat gets medal

EAST PROVIDENCE, R.I. (AP) A Rhode Island boy whose school banned a hat he made because the toy soldiers on it carried tiny guns was awarded a medal on Friday for his patriotic efforts.

Lt. Gen. Reginald Centracchio, the retired head of the Rhode Island National Guard, gave 8-year-old David Morales a medal called a challenge coin during an appearance on WPRO-AM's John DePetro show.

Centracchio said the second-grader should be thanked for recognizing veterans and soldiers.

"You did nothing wrong, and you did an outstanding job," he said. "We can only hope that kids of your caliber will continue to defend this country."

Centracchio also gave David a certificate that allows him to call himself a brigadier general.

David was assigned to make a hat last week for a project at the Tiogue School in Coventry. He chose a patriotic theme and glued plastic Army figures to a camouflage baseball cap. But school officials said the hat ran afoul of their no-weapons policy because the Army men held tiny guns.

The school has said David was offered the chance to wear the hat if he replaced the toy soldiers holding weapons with ones that didn't have any. Centracchio said that didn't make sense because soldiers are armed, and met with school administrators Thursday to share his concerns.
    EarthLink - Top News

All these Zero Intelligence (tolerance) policies make me glad I never had kids.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    "You did nothing wrong, and you did an outstanding job," he said. "We can only hope that kids of your caliber will continue to defend this country
    ."

At least someone out there has not lost their Bleeding Liberal Mind!
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    What is the address to this school. Im going to write or call and explain my grief in their decision.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by tangoseal View Post
    What is the address to this school. Im going to write or call and explain my grief in their decision.
    I provided the Superintendent's e-mail address back in post 12.

Brian

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links