kid with toy soldiers- banned in school

This is a discussion on kid with toy soldiers- banned in school within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The Associated Press: Toy soldiers run afoul of school's weapons ban Toy soldiers run afoul of school's weapons ban By MICHELLE R. SMITH (AP) – ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: kid with toy soldiers- banned in school

Thumbs down kid with toy soldiers- banned in school

The Associated Press: Toy soldiers run afoul of school's weapons ban

Toy soldiers run afoul of school's weapons ban
    By MICHELLE R. SMITH (AP) – 2 hours ago

PROVIDENCE, R.I. — Christan Morales says her son just wanted to honor American troops when he made a hat decorated with an American flag and small plastic Army figures.

But the hat ran afoul of the district's no-weapons policy because the toy soldiers were carrying tiny weapons.

"His teacher called and said it wasn't appropriate because it had guns," Morales said.

Morales' 8-year-old son, David, was assigned to make a hat for the day when his second-grade class would met their pen pals from another school. She and her son came up with an idea to add patriotic decorations to a camouflage hat.

Earlier this week, the Tiogue School in Coventry sent the hat home with David after class. He wore a plain baseball cap on the day of the visit instead.

Superintendent Kenneth R. Di Pietro said the principal told the family that the hat would be fine if David replaced the Army men holding weapons with ones that didn't have any.

"The issue for us was, can it be done in a way that didn't violate the zero-tolerance for weapons?" he said. "Nothing was being done to limit patriotism, creativity, other than find an alternative to a weapon."

Di Pietro said the district does not allow images of weapons or drugs on clothing. For example, it would not allow a student to wear a shirt with a picture of a marijuana leaf on it.

The principal "wasn't denying the patriotism," he said. "That just is the wrong and unfair image of one of our finest principals."

Morales said her son was inspired to honor the military after striking up a friendship last summer with a neighbor in the Army.

Banning the hat "sent the wrong message to the kids, because it wasn't in any way to cause any harm to anyone," she said. "You're talking about Army men. This wasn't about guns."

The story was first reported by Providence TV station WPRI.
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

2. Remove Ads

This is the problem with "zero tollerance" anything. The problem is, people are too lazy and/or scared of the liability that comes with applying sound judgement to a situation, and then having to back up that judgement. Instead, we are raising a generation with "zero tollerance" for good, common sense.
    AlabamaConstitution of 1819: That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defence of himself and the state.
    The world doesn't owe you anything. It was here first.-Mark Twain
    "Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
    Sig P228; Micro Desert Eagle; S&W M&P Compact .357 sig

VIP Member
    I'm a public-school educator, and I'm sad to say that this story doesn't surprise me one bit.

Common sense is, if not dead, on life support and fading fast.
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

VIP Member
    I saw this this morning, made my stomach sick.
    "Don't start none, won't be none!"

Quote Originally Posted by MSteve View Post
    This is the problem with "zero tollerance" anything. The problem is, people are too lazy and/or scared of the liability that comes with applying sound judgement to a situation, and then having to back up that judgement. Instead, we are raising a generation with "zero tollerance" for good, common sense.
    exactly.
    Georg Büchner

Zero tolerance is the only defense against racial discrimination law suits. Any discretion is an opening to a showing of racial discrimination due to disparate impact.

Senior Moderator
    You need an IQ near zero to administer a zero tolerance policy....
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Distinguished Member

Crap like this makes me glad I don't have kids, I'd be livid at the school and their ridiculous policy.

SFB...........

It makes perfect sense to me. You can't have little green plastic men with guns in a school. Who knows, they could come alive and start shooting people. With a couple thousand shots they may be able to inflict the devastation of a bee sting.[/sarcasm]
    Guns don't kill people, people kill people...and chimps do, if they have a gun

thats a good point. the kid might drop the hat in water, find out that these soldiers are those little foam expanding toy things, so they get bigger so the guns are now a few inches, and since they are almost gun shape, they are obviously going to come to life and start shooting people *nods*
    Georg Büchner

How about we tell Mr. Di Pietro what we think? I found his e-mail address on the Coventry Schools web page.

You can reach him at: DiPietrK@ride.ri.net

Brian

Now now, don't be so hasty. We can resolve this by cutting the little plastic guns off of the toy American soldiers and call it Vietnam. Maybe that would be allowed.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Lead Moderator
    These are the idiots that are teaching our kids? I fear for America!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Distinguished Member
    TSA would not allow me to take a small set of my dad's toy soldiers (from approx 1920's) in a carry-on. In fact they recommended against putting them into the checked bag and suggested I mail them.

True story.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links