Killer, 13, sent to juvenile detention until age 21 - Page 2

Killer, 13, sent to juvenile detention until age 21

This is a discussion on Killer, 13, sent to juvenile detention until age 21 within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; the kid knew what he was doing.....I bet he will slip up sometime before he is 21 and get life >.<...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    the kid knew what he was doing.....I bet he will slip up sometime before he is 21 and get life >.<
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    At 13, this kid was old enough to know better. Just reflect on yourself at that age, we all knew what right and wrong was.
    Zacii: On the one hand I agree with you--yet, on the other hand I think the overall picture of what I am asking is much more complex than we are usually comfortable thinking about. Enviroment has a tremendous impact on a child's ability to to perform one of the most critical tasks in the transition from child to adult: this is the ability distinguish the difference between the child's "inner reality" and external, objective outer reality. Let me illustrate: Way back when, while in High School, we had a family move into our small town--one of the kids became a member of my small town high school class. This kid was always perceiving other people as giving him lip or disrespecting him. He would constantly and reflexively interpret a normal disagreement as disrespect. Of course this meant that he got in lots of fights. He later, unsurprisingly, went on to a life of crime and ended up doing hard-time. This kid was unable to make the emotional growth needed so that he could step back and objectively look at the world around himself and self-evaluate. Good parents should normally be able to help their kids with this process (Johnny--what in the world were you thinking when you did that??)

What I am gettin at here is that the kid in the OP likely does not have that capacity to truly distingiush the REAL difference between shooting somebody in a video game and shooting a real person--they are both just "things" that are not "real" to him. In my mind, this may actually make kids like this much more dangerous.....
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    At 13, this kid was old enough to know better. Just reflect on yourself at that age, we all knew what right and wrong was.
    Until very recently, I would have agreed completely with that statement. However, there is significant, credible research being done that says it's just not true. It claims that the brain hasn't reached that developmental stage yet. Like all research though, it could turn out after further study to be nonsense.

Depending on the court's findings, Harris will either be released from custody or sentenced as an adult to life in prison without the possibility of parole.
    If Harris is convicted of a felony while he is in custody, he will automatically be sentenced as an adult to life in prison, the judge said.
    I think this sentence is actually a good one, because it gives time for the research to be further refined. It also gives more time to evaluate this individual. And, it allows for keeping him locked up for life based on that evaluation.
    AlabamaConstitution of 1819: That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defence of himself and the state.
    The world doesn't owe you anything. It was here first.-Mark Twain
    "Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
    Sig P228; Micro Desert Eagle; S&W M&P Compact .357 sig

Ugh, I hate the "life in prison" sentence.

Why should innocent people have to pay to support the livelihood of deadly criminals for their entire life?

Why should someone who is too deadly to be ever released into society be kept around at all?

Why do people think it is more humane to keep someone alive and suffering their entire life instead of killing them?

How do you expect non-life serving prisoners to learn that violence is not the way by forcing them to live with violent life-serving criminals where violence is necessary to survive?

It's a shame to see such youngsters committing violent murders. Yeah, he's "just a kid" but that's what makes him even more dangerous. He is now indoctrinated from a young age feeling like killing is acceptable. His mind is likely warped and lacking of morals beyond all possible repair.
    "In a world of compromise, some don't." -HK

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sentioch View Post
    Why should innocent people have to pay to support the livelihood of deadly criminals for their entire life?
    It is far more expensive to execute someone than house them for life. With all the legal process and appeals, it costs the state millions to complete an execution.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain Scott View Post

What I am gettin at here is that the kid in the OP likely does not have that capacity to truly distingiush the REAL difference between shooting somebody in a video game and shooting a real person--they are both just "things" that are not "real" to him. In my mind, this may actually make kids like this much more dangerous.....
    While I don't believe that 13 yr olds don't have the capacity to discern between reality and fantasy; this kid committed a heinous act. If he is not punished according to the crime, he will be free to commit again.

If you are correct in your analysis, he is more dangerous and should be dealt with accordingly, i.e. capital punishment.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Yep!!--I am guessing that he truly is MORE dangerous just because of this dis-connect between reality & nonreality--all of which raises significant questions from a self-defense scenario.

IF (and I qualify this with a real "if") we are in MORE danger from a kid like this, are we mentally prepared to react to the potentially more dangerous situation, even though we are faced with a "child"with a gun???? And, if we had to actually shoot a "child" in self-defense, would be be prepared for the personal AND media ramifications of our shooting a "child"????
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

In a SD situation, all I see will be the deadly threat, response will be the same regardless of who is on the other end of that threat!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links