Retired DC Officer Returns Fire on Thieves (video)

This is a discussion on Retired DC Officer Returns Fire on Thieves (video) within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Caught on Tape: Retired DC Cop Returns Fire on Thieves | ABC 7 News Video WASHINGTON - A retired D.C. police lieutenant remains hospitalized after ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Retired DC Officer Returns Fire on Thieves (video)

Retired DC Officer Returns Fire on Thieves (video)

Caught on Tape: Retired DC Cop Returns Fire on Thieves | ABC 7 News

Video

WASHINGTON - A retired D.C. police lieutenant remains hospitalized after thieves opened fire on him while stealing his black Lexus at a car wash in Northeast on Saturday.

A surveillance camera at the Citgo station on Kenilworth Avenue caught the entire incident on tape. On the video, you can see the retired lieutenant, who is in the striped shirt, run his Lexus through the car wash. After it's done, he gets out to clean the tires about 11:25 a.m.

A stolen black BWM appears, as it's about to leave the station, the vehicle backs up. The driver gets out and appears to check out the retired cop, who is on the passenger side of the Lexus. The BMW's driver eventually switches in its passenger seat. Once there, he crouches down and opens the door of the Lexus.

Unbeknownst to the retired lieutenant, the man from the BMW slides into the Lexus and drives off, leaving at least two people in the stolen BMW. At least one other person from the BMW opens fire on the retired lieutenant, who chases after them. He fires back; they kept shooting.

"When I came outside I saw the guy on the ground bleeding," said Olawale Babola, who works nearby and heard the shots. "He showed me the badge and I said OK and I called 911."

Another customer tied a makeshift tourniquet around the lieutenant's arm. Sources say one of the bullets hit an artery.

The retired lieutenant was rushed to a hospital, where he underwent surgery. He has not been publicly identified. The lieutenant, who is married with children, spent 25 years on the force. He is scheduled to undergo further surgery.

"Even if he wasn't a police, it wasn't right for them to do what they did," said Mercy Idoko. "If they could do that to someone like that, the rest of us who don't have guns to respond, we'd be in a lot of trouble."

Police found the stolen BMW in 500 block of 49th place Northeast. Investigators are still looking for the stolen Lexus. Anyone with information is asked to call the MPD.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    I hope those ******** are caught soon!

Prayers for the retired LT and a quick recovery.

"Even if he wasn't a police, it wasn't right for them to do what they did," said Mercy Idoko. "If they could do that to someone like that, the rest of us who don't have guns to respond, we'd be in a lot of trouble."
    Someone's got the right idea...
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

I hope that he recovers quickly and fully.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fastk9dad View Post
    I hope those ******** are caught soon!

Prayers for the retired LT and a quick recovery.
    ^^^^^^^^^^DITTO^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I wonder how much SA you need to have to prevent something like this.
    Definitely sucks

“The supposed quietude of a good man allures the ruffian; while on the other hand, arms, like laws, discourage and keep the invader and the plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. The balance of power is the scale of peace. The same balance would be preserved were all the world destitute of arms, for all would be alike; but since some will not, others dare not lay them aside. Horrid mischief would ensue were one half the world deprived of the use of them; the weak would become a prey to the strong.”
    – Thomas Paine
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Ex Member
    Sorry he was shot BUT how about a little 'situation awareness?' Neighborhood....keys left in car.........you walk away...........

I hope the Lt. recovers fully. I hate those public washes, they are crowded with these thugs.

I always take my keys out when I exit the vehicle,he could have cleaned his rims at home.
    BG's are creatures of opportunity you create an opportunity and they will take advantage,If you think like a BG you can avoid some things
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

IMO, those places do a crappy job anyway.

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    I hope he recovers completely also.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

I hope the Lt. recovers quickly. I hope he hit the BG's as well. Do the rims at home, or take your keys. I never leave my keys in the car and always lock it whenever I'm out of it, even if only going a very short distance.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^DITTO^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I wonder how much SA you need to have to prevent something like this.
    Definitely sucks
    For one thing, even though I've only been to DC a few times and don't know it very well, I know I'd never be caught washing my car anywhere near that part of the district. Don't even like driving through it.

Last edited by P7fanatic; June 20th, 2010 at 09:48 PM.
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

My wife had a run in at a car wash but was alert and left the area immediately car washes day or night bad news

This is why I favor washing my car in my own driveway.

Quote Originally Posted by P7fanatic View Post
    For one thing, even though I've only been to DC a few timesand don't know it very well, I know I'd never be caught washing my car anywhere near that part of the district. Don't even like driving through it.

Sorry...even if I could carry in DC...I'd avoid that part of town at all costs...

Hope the retired officer recovers fully...
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links