BAD: Dallas police chief's son named suspect in officer's shooting death

This is a discussion on BAD: Dallas police chief's son named suspect in officer's shooting death within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Dallas police chief's son named suspect in officer's shooting death - CNN.com Dallas, Texas (CNN) -- A man suspected of killing a police officer and ...

Thread: BAD: Dallas police chief's son named suspect in officer's shooting death

Thumbs down BAD: Dallas police chief's son named suspect in officer's shooting death

Dallas police chief's son named suspect in officer's shooting death - CNN.com

Dallas, Texas (CNN) -- A man suspected of killing a police officer and another person Sunday night at a suburban Dallas, Texas, apartment complex was the son of the Dallas police chief, authorities said Monday.

David Brown Jr., the son of Dallas Police Chief David Brown, was also killed during an exchange of gunfire with responding officers, Dallas County Sheriff Lupe Valdez said.

Lancaster, Texas, Police Chief Keith Humphrey said David Brown Jr. was a resident of the apartment complex. Humphrey also identified the slain police officer as Officer Craig Shaw, who local media said was a five-year veteran of the Lancaster force and the father of two children.

Authorities at an afternoon press conference Monday wore black bands around their shields to mark the death of their fellow officer.

The incident began when officers responded to a call of a shooting at the complex Sunday.

"According to our investigation, Lancaster officers were called out to a scene and shots were exchanged where two people were killed including Officer Shaw and the suspect," Valdez told reporters Monday. "It appears the shooter is going to be David O'Neill Brown Jr."

"Another male victim was also discovered dead at the scene, apparently from a shooting that had occurred earlier," Valdez said, adding the younger Brown is also a suspect in that victim's death.

Charles Cato, the Dallas Police Department's first assistant chief, said, "Chief Brown asks that the Dallas community keep his family in their prayers this evening -- and in the days to come -- as his family tries to comprehend the circumstances surrounding this tragic incident."

Humphrey later added, "Of course, he's devastated. But Chief Brown also wanted to make that sure our officers were OK, and especially the family of Officer Shaw."

Pat Miles lives at the River Bend Apartments, where the shootings happened. "I just heard lots of quick shots, you know, like, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom," she told CNN affiliate WFAA. "That's all I heard. I jumped down on the floor."

Resident Tiffany James said it may have been a case of mistaken identity. "I heard the officer say, 'Ooh. I shot the wrong person,' and he busted out crying. Another officer grabbed him and hugged him," James told WFAA.

2. Remove Ads

IIRC, this is not the (now late) younger Brown's first "brush with the law".

VIP Member
    Well, it was his last...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I was hoping the investigation would show young Mr. Brown to be a victim rather than the instigator in this tragedy.
    Been waiting for the Official Report before speculating!
    I have a friend who is a weapons trainer for the Lancaster PD. I know she is taking this badly.

Sad for all involved!
    I appreciate how the Local News has waited to pass judgment on this and have given the Browns the respect to grieve in private.
    Tomorrow may be different though.
    What have you done to prepare for the end of civilization as we know it?

Son of the police chief responsible for the murder of a police officer. Hm. It's not what you know, nor who you know. In the end, it's what you say and do. Li'l Johnny's got some troubles, it looks like. See ya.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Sounds like they aren't certain yet what really happened. Rather than speculate, investigate.

Links