I Would Consider This To Be A Success Story

This is a discussion on I Would Consider This To Be A Success Story within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; It was posted on another forum. Credit to Xring04 A Robbery Averted. I was on my way home yesterday from Tn, when I stopped in ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I Would Consider This To Be A Success Story

Administrator

Post I Would Consider This To Be A Success Story

It was posted on another forum.
    Credit to Xring04

A Robbery Averted.

I was on my way home yesterday from Tn, when I stopped in Savannah Georgia to fill up.
    After filling up, I decided to kill two birds with one stone, so I headed to the rest room to relieve myself.
    On the way into the door I made eye contact with two large men.
    I did that "how ya doing nod thing" and continued into the store.
    The men decided to come in behind me. No big deal.
    I went into the restroom and walked to the urinal but, they came in and I just kinda had a bad feeling so I turned and went into the stall.
    I was in the stall getting ready to do my business when I heard whispering.
    I held my breath and tried my darnedest to make out what they were saying but to no avail.

All of this seemed really strange to me and I just had a really uneasy feeling.
    I was in the stall for about two minutes when I decided that maybe I was being paranoid and I just needed to leave.

I opened my stall and stepped out. I had already decided to not to wash my hands and go straight out the door. (I keep Purell in the glovebox.)
    The problem was that both of the guys were standing in front of the door.

The smaller of the two guys asked me if I had any money I could give them for gas.
    I told them that I did not have any cash on me (not true, but I hoped that would fix the situation)

At this point they both started waking toward me.
    I told them both to stop, but they kept on walking toward me.

I told them to stop again and turned my strong side away from them and put my hand on my G27.

They could not see my gun, but they could tell that I had one.
    I told them to get out of the bathroom and they complied.
    I followed them out and told the manager what had happened.
    The two guys walked out to their truck and drove off heading north on 95.
    The manager said that there was no reason to call the police so he refused to call. I walked out to my call and called the police.
    The officer that I talked to made it sound like no big deal.
    That was that, and I continued on home.

I am sure that the two men wanted to rob me, I am also sure that they would have been successful if not for me carrying.

Just a reminder, pay attention, and listen to your gut.

2. Remove Ads

Kudos to him

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    maby its just me but i agree with the officer and i think the guy is a bit paranoid , i see no overt move twards a robery here .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Assistant Administrator
    At this point they both started waking toward me.
    Bob - this was what would have made me less than relaxed!! Maybe not planning robbery but - two onto one - in restroom? I'd not regard this as a friendly gesture!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Nor would I Chris but by his own account he was between them and at least the stalls if not the urinals also , it could well have been innocent movement . And while i agree whispering in the bathroom is odd for grown men , they could well have been discussing the rack on the clerk or other subjects the most men want a bit of privacy for . I agree to be alert but...
    Personaly when i need to do my business some nutcase in the can saying stop isnt going to slow me down much either lol .
    I told them to stop again and turned my strong side away from them and put my hand on my G27.

They could not see my gun, but they could tell that I had one.
    I told them to get out of the bathroom and they complied.
    dammed skippy , if someone in a public restroom looks like he is gonna draw on me i am leaving too , business done or not , hell if he actualy draws ill prob. do my business on the way out .
    I followed them out and told the manager what had happened.
    The two guys walked out to their truck and drove off heading north on 95.
    After going to the can and nearly being shot wouldnt you leave ??
    The manager said that there was no reason to call the police so he refused to call. I walked out to my call and called the police.
    The officer that I talked to made it sound like no big deal.
    That was that, and I continued on home.
    Now here is the kicker , granted from the statement the manager wasnt in the can with them when this happened , but i will wager both the manager and the officer see more " squirrells " in a shift than this fella does in a month , I dont know what the guys were up to , and considering it happened in the can i really dont want to speculate about it . I still see no overt move to harm anyone here besides from the original poster .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .

VIP Member
    I cannot fault this fella. He followed his gut and avoided a probable confrontation. He followed up with a call to the cops which was the smartest move legally. If the guys were on the level, they would have called the cops and said they were about to be attacked by this armed nut and that gets countered by him calling the cops and saying he felt threatened by two guys waiting for him in the bathroom and asking him for money. Without displaying his weapon, he made clear he was not sheep but sheepdog with a full set of teeth. At the end, no shots fired, situation defused, everybody got home that night. I can't imagine a better outcome.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

true miggy its a good outcome , but let me point out that many blue collar workers ( construction , agra business , ect... ) would not think to call the cops , they would drive off talking about " that nut " and go have a beer . I feel he borderline menaced them and got away with it . It all worked out well but i personaly think he was right on the line if not over it . Hopefully he learned from the experiance, if nothing else to improve his situational awareness and not place himself where he feels threatoned .

Assistant Administrator
    and not place himself where he feels threatened .
    Not trying to be picky Bob but that made me think that in any case where we might choose to go into a restroom - because we have to (like bit urgent! ) - we could experience a similar scenario.

Meaning - while we may choose as good CCW folks to avoid risk and threat - this is surely one of the classics where we cannot always choose. I know on the rare occasions I have to use restrooms in stores, restaurants etc - I am very much yellow on orange if I am aware of others around me.

This is a bit - ''when ya gotta go - ya gotta go''!
    Chris - P95

Lead Moderator
    I don't fault the guy. who knows what the 2 were up to. No brandishing, and no "what the ?" from the 2. If I were innocent, I would be asking ,"what is the matter?".
    Better to go home at night a bit paranoid , than be injured or dead.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Ill ask here where is the articulatable threat to fear from thiese two ? You cannot draw down/menace on someone because they MAY commit a crime or MAY threaton you . You need to be able to articulate a " common man doctrine " fear of grave bodily injury or death , i just dont see it here . I mean can you stand in front of the investigators or a judge and legitamitly say i almost drew down on a couple of guys for whispering in the bathroom , panhandeling , and then attempting to get to the facilitys ? The guy imho over reacted for the info given, and is lucky not to be in jail himself .

Assistant Administrator
    I'll quit Bob in a minute - and we can agree to differ re the interpretation - but for me the advance of the two as described is what would make me very ill at ease.

They have just requested money and been told no - and advance - Instead of a shrug and leaving, which would have better defuzed things for me.

No gun was drawn tho its presence was implied - so no genuine brandishing. I can live with this one 'as is' but say too - as ever - I was not there!
    Chris - P95

LOL Chris ill quit too , I believe I accomplished what I wanted to . Get folks to breaking it down to when can I act , how forcefully , and why is it permissible . we need to think like that if we are going to carry . IMHO this example does not pass the tests , YMMV and I do confess to somewhat playing the devils advocate here LOL

i am on the street daily and have seen this and have had this happen to me more than once (come to think about it i had someone asked me for gas money this week). most areas that i am in are not your best areas (can you say "hood"). sometimes you must do what you got to do just to make it back to the car.

Innocent Dudes ?

If these two guys were innocent of any evil intent why didn't they call the police on HIM ? If I were threatened with even the pretense of a gun, I'd be yelling, calling for help, calling the cops.

Why didn't they ?

Because their background checks would not pass muster with police scrutiny. They didn't want to answer any "official" questions.

In my opinion the guy did JUST the right thing. On the force continum he was on a par with the preceived threat. Remember, it's a legal requirement that you are in fear of injury or death. That's a subjective criterion which he felt was achieved, and was threatening to him at that time, and under those circumstances.

I would have to say too that i think the situation called at least for preperation to percieved threat. If I was alone in the bathroom and two guys were coming towards me after asking for money I think I would at least put my hand on my hip close to my gun. At least he didnt draw his weapon. There is always the what if question...what if they went after him, what if they had a weapon, what if he tried to walk past them and they jumped him?
    Benjamin Franklin once said, "he that would supplant a little liberty for a little safety deserves neither".

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links