Another "Police" Yell Home Invasion

This is a discussion on Another "Police" Yell Home Invasion within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://www.starnewsonline.com/articl...police-at-door A group of robbers yelled "police" before kicking in a home's door Monday Published: Monday, June 21, 2010 at 9:48 p.m. Last Modified: Monday, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another "Police" Yell Home Invasion

VIP Member

Another "Police" Yell Home Invasion

http://www.starnewsonline.com/articl...police-at-door

A group of robbers yelled "police" before kicking in a home's door Monday

Published: Monday, June 21, 2010 at 9:48 p.m.
    Last Modified: Monday, June 21, 2010 at 9:48 p.m.

Wilmington

A group of robbers yelled "police" before kicking in a home's door Monday, according to a news release from the Wilmington Police Department.

A 28-year-old victim told police he was watching television at 12:11 a.m., when he heard a pounding on the door of his home on the 1300 block of South Fourth Street. The men outside said "police" and then kicked in the door.

Four or five men came in wearing black masks. One of them had a handgun and punched the victim in the face. The men went through the home but only stole the man's wallet. A woman was in the house during the robbery, and she locked herself in the bathroom. But one of the men broke through the door and tossed her to the floor.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    If my wife were to hide in the bathroom and the BG kicked the door in he'd be in for a deadly suprise.

Administrator
    This thread is not about types of warrants served. Leave that topic alone or start your own thread to argue from a defenseless position if you wish.

If you want to talk about BG's using this tactic, fine. Keep it on topic though.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Having a front door that is not easily "kicked" will go a long way in preventing this problem.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    This thread is not about types of warrants served. Leave that topic alone or start your own thread to argue from a defenseless position if you wish.

If you want to talk about BG's using this tactic, fine. Keep it on topic though.
    Thanks Sixto.

I was about to ask to have the thread closed.

I, for one, would like to see the penalty jacked up on the BGs' using this tactic. Just as the "use of a firearm" in the commission of a felony carries more time than the felony in many States.

Sort of return to "If you can't do the time, don't do the crime" with a balance toward the "don't do the crime" or....

[BTW -- I'm not very happy w/ the "use of a firearm" laws, as I think these law vilify firearms. I would love to see all of the changed to "use of a deadly weapon" -- based on whatever is banned or banned from CC in that State's law. (but that's another thread, too).]

What I like to see is discussion about what can be none to make BGs' use this tactic far less attractive to BGs.
    Last edited by DaveH; June 22nd, 2010 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Fixed per Zacii
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

I think maybe you're looking for 'vilify'
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    I think maybe you're looking for 'vilify'
    Thank you!
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member
    The point being overlooked is the fact that if the police didn't use no knocks, then everyone at home would know its the knuckledraggers come a'callin', and to start shooting. That way no officers would be shot, or homeowners liable for shooting them.
    I equate it to this. Why did Janet Reno not just Pick up David Koresh while "in town", instead of burning down the Branch Davidian Compound.
    I don't support the Davidian's, but I do not support no knock searches.
    They are too dangerous for all involved.

"If you put the government in charge of the desert, there would be a sand shortage within ten years." - A very wise man
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

VIP Member
    No, the point that's being overlooked is that, in the scenario presented in the OP, it wasn't even a NKW that was being "represented." The BGs yelled police, and THEN kicked in the door - exactly what would happen in a "traditional" warrant service.

But hey, never miss an opportunity to express uninformed outrage, right?
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

If apprehended they could be hit with the added charge of Impersonating a Police Officer, on top of the multitude of charges they would normally be hit with. Of course this would not help you if you were killed in your own home.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    If apprehended they could be hit with the added charge of Impersonating a Police Officer, on top of the multitude of charges they would normally be hit with. Of course this would not help you if you were killed in your own home.
    Agree.

However, I was thinking about something that ratchets up the "time" actually served, big time, and not just ends up being served concurrently.

IMHO, this spreading is a LEO safety issue, as well as "you were killed in your own home" issue.

I would like to see States get ahead of the curve for everyone's sake/safety.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    I was just think, if your prepared as most folks here claim they are. Then no knock warrants will not matter, someone yelling at the front door police, you will instantly arm yourself and be prepared or move quickly to ensure that if it's not the police as in this case, the BGs are in for surprise.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

This is a tough one.

1.) Assume that any home invasion team who identifies themselves as police is exactly what they claim to be.

or

2.) Assume that any home invasion team who fails to knock, identify and wait is actually composed of bad guys who are masquerading of police.

With the former, you risk yielding to evil men who may demand more from you than you are prepared to give. With the latter, you risk death or prosecution at the hands of those who are sworn to protect you. And let's face it, unless you are really, really, squeaky clean (along with everyone living in or visiting your house), you are going to fare badly if you unintentionally wound or kill a cop.

Speaking for myself, I still don't have a plan in place.

OPFOR, your statistics don't really help with making the appropriate decision: Most murders are bad guy on bad guy; an almost insignificant number of the remainder involve home invasions; shooting a SWAT team member increases the likelihood of you joining the tragedy category dramatically.

I would guess that you are probably slightly better off assuming they are cops and just yielding.

Ryan
    Those who will not govern their own behavior are slaves waiting for a master; one will surely find them.

VIP Member
    The stats are valid for what they are, but your point is taken. Going along in that vein, your chances of being murdered in a home invasion are EXCEEDINGLY low. Most home invasions - like most murders - are BG on BG.

The chances of having an unwarranted (pun intended) NKW served on you are also EXCEEDINGLY low; they are still relatively uncommon and, because tragic mistakes have been made, controls are tightening up and fewer mistakes are being made. If you DO violently resist a legitimate warrant service, you are most likely going to be killed or seriously injured - I would warrant (pun intended again) that the chances of you surviving an actual home invasion robbery without resisting are much greater than your chances of surviving a shootout with a warrant service team...

It's a tough call. For most law abiding, "normal" folks who have no reason to suspect that the police are going to come crashing through the door, I would be very suspicious of "cops" trying to gain entry without properly identifying themselves. If, on the other hand, a drug dealer type has a much higher chance of being visited by both the real cops AND armed robbers. I guess the lesson here is to keep your nose clean...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by socal2310 View Post

OPFOR, your statistics don't really help with making the appropriate decision: Most murders are bad guy on bad guy; an almost insignificant number of the remainder involve home invasions; shooting a SWAT team member increases the likelihood of you joining the tragedy category dramatically.

I would guess that you are probably slightly better off assuming they are cops and just yielding.

Ryan

Thank you for the first paragraph.

I am, reluctantly, forced to agree with the second paragraph also.

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links