More "safe neighborhood" & "just comply"

More "safe neighborhood" & "just comply"

This is a discussion on More "safe neighborhood" & "just comply" within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Just give the crooks whatever they want. Why would they shoot you if you comply? Notice what advice he DOESN'T give? Shooting unnerves Cleveland's Tremont ...

Thread: More "safe neighborhood" & "just comply"

VIP Member

Thumbs down More "safe neighborhood" & "just comply"

Just give the crooks whatever they want. Why would they shoot you if you comply?

Notice what advice he DOESN'T give?

Shooting unnerves Cleveland's Tremont neighborhood, but it remains among city's safest | cleveland.com

Shooting unnerves Cleveland's Tremont neighborhood, but it remains among city's safest
    Published: Friday, June 18, 2010, 9:00 AM Updated: Friday, June 18, 2010, 5:58 PM

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Residents in Cleveland's Tremont neighborhood usually come together whenever one of their own is in need.

When a fire destroyed the old Grumpy's Cafe in 2004, residents and proprietors held a fundraiser to help the business reopen. When Cleveland City Councilman Joe Cimperman's home was firebombed in 2008, people gave him cash and gift cards to help out.

So when neighbors and businesspeople learned that Jeffry Chiplis, a popular neighborhood artist, was shot after two men tried to rob him on West Third Street hill near Literary Road this weekend, they did what came naturally -- they tried to reach out and help.

Tremont is one of Cleveland's safest and most eclectic neighborhoods. Between 2005 and 2009 -- the most recent years for which data were immediately available -- the area had a violent-crime rate about 25 percent lower than the city as a whole, according to a Plain Dealer analysis of Cleveland police data.

The violent crime rate fell in Tremont and the city as a whole between 2007 and 2009. The number of violent crimes per 1,000 residents in Tremont dipped below 12 per 1,000 residents in 2009.

Tremont residents were outraged by Chiplis' shooting and have organized a meeting with city officials and police next week to talk about ways to combat crime in the community made up of gourmet restaurants, art galleries, coffee shops and historic homes.

Chiplis, who was shot in his lower back, is still being treated for his injuries at MetroHealth Medical Center. He was listed in good condition Thursday. His family declined to comment earlier this week.

Chiplis owns the Jeff Chiplis Studio on Jefferson Avenue. The internationally known artist specializes in neon light artwork and has created numerous sculptures that appear in Tremont and galleries across the state.

Some business owners and residents of the neighborhood are upset about what happened to Chiplis and said they believe it was an isolated incident.

"With the way people walk around this neighborhood, it is shocking," said Kathy Owad, who owns Grumpy's Cafe. "Tremont is still in the city, so you have to be careful, but we want people to feel safe when they come here."

Though crimes that involve guns in this part of town are rare, crime statistics show that property thefts in Tremont rose between Jan. 1 and May 10 compared with the same period last year.

Residential breaking and entering in the neighborhood is up 63 percent from a year ago. Theft from automobiles is up 46 percent, and vehicle thefts are up 12 percent.

Second District Police Commander Keith Sulzer said police are investigating Chiplis' shooting but that they have no solid leads on the two attackers.

"It's not a violent neighborhood but when violence hits a neighborhood like that, they really take notice," Sulzer said.

He said he will address residents' safety concerns at the community meeting scheduled for next week. He will urge them to be vigilant but not fearful.

"No matter how familiar you are in a community, you always have to be on guard," Sulzer said. "Don't walk down dark, isolated streets, and whatever you do, comply with what the robbers want because whatever you have is not worth being shot over."

Councilman Cimperman said his office received more than 100 calls from Tremont residents and people who visit the neighborhood because they want to assist Chiplis and his wife, Cynthia.

Cimperman said next week's meeting at St. Joseph Hall will center on how the community can come together to stop violence and ways residents can protect themselves from crime.

"The fact that this is an act of violence against one of our neighborhood founders has really upset a lot of people," Cimperman said. "The Tremont community is going to rally together like we always do and give Mr. Chiplis some neighborhood love."
    [emphases added]
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Well, we can have a rally, we can put up posters, we can ban more guns, we could have a class on how to better comply with the BG's demands, oh there is no end to what we can do to improve our situation!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

^^

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

VIP Member
    Evidently this robber wanted this victim dead. Funny how they never bring that into the equation, when these wussies talk about "complying".

"Just comply, all he wanted was to rape you Miss"

"Just comply sir, all they wanted was to KIDNAP your 4 year old child."

How stupid these moronic, anti-gun idiots look with drool coming out the side of their mouth

I got no use for this!!!
    Terry Radzwion
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

I'm sure if they all sing Kum Bayah to him he will feel better about the whole incident.

Note he was shot in the back. It doesn't mention that he'd probably given over his money already.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

You, sir, should be a copy editor!

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    Evidently this robber wanted this victim dead. Funny how they never bring that into the equation, when these wussies talk about "complying".

"Just comply, all he wanted was to rape you Miss"

"Just comply sir, all they wanted was to KIDNAP your 4 year old child."

How stupid these moronic, anti-gun idiots look with drool coming out the side of their mouth

I got no use for this!!!
    Terry Radzwion
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

Just comply?
    Not on my watch...

Stay armed...stay alert...practice...be quick and violent...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Yep, comply with a criminal, a liar.

You can stake your life on his word, he's an honest crook

I'll never understand it, and apparently the sheep will never understand it, either.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Comply with the robber's demands and he won't shoot you!

Yeah. Right.

One of the greatest lies of all time.

I'd sooner believe "the check is in the mail" before trusting a criminal's intent.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    Comply with the robber's demands and he won't shoot you!

Yeah. Right.

One of the greatest lies of all time.

I'd sooner believe "the check is in the mail" before trusting a criminal's intent.

Albeit this story is just about robbery, its not just robbery and armed robbery with a firearm. There are other weapons and other bad intentions.

Comply with the criminals demands and he won't hurt/rape/assault/maim/kill/etc you!

What would be the response of these people had Second District Police Commander Keith Sulzer said, "If you are going to be raped, relax and enjoy it. Statistically, you will be better off."

Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

In my self defense class when threatened I am taught to comply but be prepared to react, take out your wallet and throw it away from you, divert their attention, and back away.

You will know their true intent soon enough. If you have a pocket gun now is a good time have have one hand on it, and the other throwing the wallet.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    "Just comply...." It's way to stupid a remark to justify a response.

When reading those remarks, the expression, "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt," comes to mind.

I don't get too angry when I see people bandy about the "just comply" trope after an incident like this, because only the deluded are going to believe it - and they can't be reached for our side in any case. Anyone with any capacity for rational thought is thinking the same thing we are: "Sure, I'll just comply, look how well it worked in this case..."

As gun Geezer said, after an incident like this it's best to let the antis hang themselves. No one responds well to being told, "I told you so."
    Those who will not govern their own behavior are slaves waiting for a master; one will surely find them.

Sponsored Links