BAD & SAD -- combat veteran accidentally killed his daughter

This is a discussion on BAD & SAD -- combat veteran accidentally killed his daughter within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Chesapeake Marine guilty of accidentally killing infant child | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com Chesapeake Marine guilty of accidentally killing infant child By Matthew Bowers The Virginian-Pilot ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BAD & SAD -- combat veteran accidentally killed his daughter

VIP Member

Chesapeake Marine guilty of accidentally killing infant child | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

Chesapeake Marine guilty of accidentally killing infant child

By Matthew Bowers
    The Virginian-Pilot
    June 25, 2010
    CHESAPEAKE

A combat veteran of three tours in Iraq accidentally killed his 9-month-old daughter earlier this year when he was practicing drawing his loaded handgun in their home.

It fired, striking the girl in the face as she sat in her high-chair eating fruit.

And for that, 26-year-old Colton Jack Luman pleaded guilty Thursday to involuntary manslaughter.

"This is a case on the highest order of sadness," Circuit Court Judge V. Thomas Forehand Jr. said. He scheduled Luman's sentencing hearing for Oct. 25.

There was no plea agreement. Luman faces up to 10 years in prison, although Virginia's nonbinding sentencing guidelines suggest no jail time in such circumstances, said Luman's lawyer, David Allmond.

Makenna Luman died Feb. 21 after being shot in the family home on the Norfolk Naval Support Activity, Northwest Annex base on the North Carolina line.

According to the three-page summary of evidence, Colton Luman's wife and 2-year-old daughter were upstairs about 10 a.m. when they heard the shot.

His wife ran screaming to get a neighbor, and together they attempted CPR before a rescue crew arrived. Makenna died at a hospital less than two hours later.

Colton Luman told police he carried a concealed weapon with a bullet in the chamber at all times.

He initially said that he was lifting Makenna out of her chair when his gun started to slip out of its holster, they both reached for it and the girl brushed against it, causing it to fire.

But later that day, he admitted that he was watching television and "dry firing," or drawing his handgun and aiming at candles on the wall. He said he had his hand on the trigger but was not intentionally pulling it back, and the gun went off as he was preparing to reholster the weapon, the stipulation said.

A crime laboratory determined that the .45-caliber Glock handgun was in good working order, court records show.

The bullet, found near the refrigerator, passed through the girl's hand and face before exiting through her shoulder, Chief Deputy Commonwealth's Attorney Lori Galbraith said in court.

Colton Luman, an eight-year veteran, was assigned to the Marine Corps Security Force Regiment in Norfolk. He also has worked in gun shops, he told Judge Forehand.

"You've worked in gun shops?" the judge repeated.

Luman had always wanted to be a Marine, and several fellow Marines accompanied him to court, said Allmond, his lawyer. Luman is undergoing counseling through the service, Allmond added.

The Luman family was planning a trip to the zoo that day, he said.

"It's a tragic accident, and the repercussions are far-reaching beyond this courthouse," Allmond said. "He lost his daughter....

"He's got his own kind of prison and own kind of hell to go through."
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

There was no "accident" here.
    Nothing accidental occurred in any way or form pe the report and the guilty mans own quoted statements.

This is a classic and clear case of N E G L I G E N C E ...On multiple levels!

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    My God! I think I would just put the gun to my head and do myself if I accidentaly shot my child in the face because I couldn't live with that.

Bad bad bad...total negligence...he broke pretty much every gun safety rule there is!

1. Know when your gun is loaded
    2. Finger off the trigger
    3. Don't point it at what you don't want to kill!!

No matter how tragic this is, I think he needs some jail time for "accidentally" snuffing this innocent life!

There was no "accident" here.
    Nothing accidental occurred in any way or form pe the report and the guilty mans own quoted statements.
    And he even tried to lie at first!!!
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

I cannot even imagine what this man must be going through. If I did this to my child EMS would find two bodies as I could never live with myself.
    Proud houlder of a Texas Open Carry License.

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    There is no prison built by people that can punish him the way the prison in his mind can. Sorry that this happens far too many times.

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieNWillis View Post
    My God! I think I would just put the gun to my head and do myself if I accidentaly shot my child in the face because I couldn't live with that.
    This
    Please take my posts with a grain of salt. I am frequently sleep deprived and always just on this side of "Krazy".

When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle. Edmund Burke

Bad, sad, and dumb. This will never happen in my house. Why practice with a loaded gun in the house? I'm as frustrated as I am sad about this story.

I know the area well. The NW Annex is a 20-30 minute drive from Chesapeake General. No chance when you're out that far.

Somehow I don't think it was an accident. Probably PTSD and not being able to handle the extra stress of an infant. Think about it. Draw practice WHILE loaded. Draw practice AND pointing it at someone, much less a child. Hitting her SQUARE in the face? Doesn't add up or pass the "smell" test.

I'm sitting here with my mouth open in disgust and sadness....what was he thinking pointing his gun (loaded or not) at his child!??
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
    Somehow I don't think it was an accident. Probably PTSD and not being able to handle the extra stress of an infant. Think about it. Draw practice WHILE loaded. Draw practice AND pointing it at someone, much less a child. Hitting her SQUARE in the face? Doesn't add up or pass the "smell" test.
    I'm riding with you on this one,even if he was practice drawing,I can't imagine he would be sweeping his daughter unless it was intentional,3 tours and he hasn't learned muzzle discipline BS
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

This guy's actions smell bad to me. If this was a horrible accident, I think he should still do the same amount of time as he would have for murder, for being a FREAKING IDIOT!!! I mean come on, there are accidents and then there's just plain stupidity.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

OH, and I forgot to add this ----->
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    This is tryly a tragedy, but isn't it a iron clad rule that you unload and check a gun before dry firing?
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Agreed with Rusty and Duk.

How does a gun being holstered wind up with it's bore being horizontal so as to strike an infant siting in a high chair?
    Denmarkian fish for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links