Home Invasion -- No drugs. Just meanness.

This is a discussion on Home Invasion -- No drugs. Just meanness. within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Suffolk widow, 66, describes violent home invasion | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com Suffolk widow, 66, describes violent home invasion By Linda McNatt The Virginian-Pilot June ...

Thread: Home Invasion -- No drugs. Just meanness.

VIP Member

Home Invasion -- No drugs. Just meanness.

Suffolk widow, 66, describes violent home invasion | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

Suffolk widow, 66, describes violent home invasion

By Linda McNatt
    The Virginian-Pilot
    June 25, 2010
    SUFFOLK

Sally Perry was sitting in her rural home on Freeman Mill Road on the night of March 4, 2009, when her little dog, Max, growled.

Perry, 66, a widow who lives alone, peered out of her front window, saw nothing and sat back down at about 11:30 p.m. to continue watching the news.

Then, three men burst through her front door. One was holding the bolt cutters they'd used to get inside.

Perry was calm as she described the incident in court Thursday. The men ransacked her house, tipped over her couch, broke glass and furniture. They tied her up with duct tape and locked her in a bathroom.

"I had felt very safe in my house," Perry said from the witness stand. "I always lock my doors. A lot of people wonder how I do it, but we woman are strong."

Perry was left with two black eyes, a broken wrist, split lip. She was bleeding from her face and head injuries. But she cut through the duct tape with nail clippers she'd had the presence of mind to take into the bathroom with her.

Later that month, two men and a juvenile, all of Portsmouth, were arrested in the robbery, abduction, theft of credit cards, unauthorized use of a vehicle, wearing masks in public, use of a firearm and other crimes.

The firearm, a .22-caliber rifle, had belonged to Perry's deceased husband. Jabree Newman-Mumford, 16, poked Perry in the face with the rifle and threatened her life as she was sitting tied to the bathroom commode.

Newman-Mumford, now 17, was sentenced to 31 years in prison by Circuit Court Judge Carl E. Eason Jr. He also must help to pay $41, 878.97 in restitution.

Eason gave Clinton Ivy, a co-conspirator, 44 years in prison and responsibility for the restitution. Ivy, 31, will be on supervised probation for life and must have no contact with Perry. Ivy also is facing 18 years, three months for crimes in Isle of Wight County and Chesapeake, according to Assistant Commonwealth's Attorney Bob Sandwich, who prosecuted the case with Marie Walls, senior assistant commonwealth's attorney.

Both Newman-Mumford and Ivy pleaded guilty in plea agreements.

The third defendant, Aaron James Brennan, 23, had a jury trial in March.

The jury recommended at that time that Brennan be sentenced to 212 years in prison. Circuit Court Judge Westbrook J. Parker followed the jury's recommendation and gave Brennan an additional three years in prison for a separate arson on Suffolk's Hosier Road.

Perry still lives alone. She's had her security system upgraded, she said. She's had surgery on her wrist.

"This rises to the level of one of the most heinous crimes we've seen in Suffolk," Sandwich said in court. "There were no drugs involved. Just meanness. It was the worst night of Sally Perry's life."
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    THose names and sentences were like spaghetti.

Read that article again I cant figure out who is who and what they got was it probation or prison or both or one or the other ahhhhhhhh,...sigh
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Senior Moderator
    All three got prison terms.

The two who pled guilty got 31 and 44 years, reectively, and one has life probation after prison. The defendant who took it to trial got 212 years in prison.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tangoseal View Post
    THose names and sentences were like spaghetti.

Read that article again I cant figure out who is who and what they got was it probation or prison or both or one or the other ahhhhhhhh,...sigh
    As I read it:

A. Two BGs took a plea-bargain:

1) Newman-Mumford, [17], was sentenced to 31 years in prison. He also must help to pay $41, 878.97 in restitution.

2) Clinton Ivy [31], got 44 years in prison and responsibility for the restitution, plus supervised probation for life and must have no contact with the victim [Perry].

[As an aside, Ivy also is facing 18 years, three months for other crimes.]

B. Aaron James Brennan [the third BG; 23] rolled the dice on a jury trial. He lost. Got 212 years in prison.

[Again as an aside he got additional three years in prison for another crime.]
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

212 years? guess that the end for him
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    Unfortunately we will be paying for his cable tv the whole time
    Please take my posts with a grain of salt. I am frequently sleep deprived and always just on this side of "Krazy".

When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle. Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    No it's not. He'll be out in 10 with good behavior. That's the sad reality of our court system.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Virginia is jekyll and hyde. Sometimes they'll keep them in there for a long time, and others, they'll let them go after a few years, especially for DUIs and related charges . However, I think the trend for violent offenders is longer prison terms.

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    No it's not. He'll be out in 10 with good behavior. That's the sad reality of our court system.
    You might not be far off depending on state laws and the structure of the sentence...

When I worked in Mass. a person sentenced to 60 years could be paroled after 3...but if you got 12-15 years it would be 8 for parole. If there were minimum and maximum sentenced, it was 2/3 of the minimum...if it was just a set number, you could get parole after no more than 3 years.

I did know a guy once there who did get a great sentence....if I remember correctly it was 140-180...parole in only like 90 years.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound.

-- L. Neil Smith

Links