Lakeville police kill dog that maimed 2

This is a discussion on Lakeville police kill dog that maimed 2 within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Lakeville police kill dog that maimed 2 June 24, 2010 LAKEVILLE, Mass.—Lakeville police say it took nine bullets to kill a bulldog that had attacked ...

Thread: Lakeville police kill dog that maimed 2

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar

June 24, 2010

LAKEVILLE, Mass.—Lakeville police say it took nine bullets to kill a bulldog that had attacked its 38-year-old owner and a 5-year-old boy she was caring for, sending both to the hospital.

Police say they were called to Karen Bruno O'Leary's home just after 4 p.m. on Wednesday after the animal had bitten the boy in the face. When they arrived, the 1-year-old male dog was attacking O'Leary.

Officers fired three bullets into the dog when it lunged at them, then six more as it went after fire department personnel treating O'Leary.

The boy, whose name was not released, was flown to Children's Hospital Boston with facial injuries. The woman was taken to Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston with arm injuries.
    Lakeville police kill dog that maimed 2 - Boston.com

Other articles I read pertaining to this story said it was an American Bulldog that weighed over a 100 lbs. and he had never been out of control before. I wonder what the LEOs in that area carry? Nine shots to bring a dog down sounds excessive. I read one story that said it was a head shot that finally brought the dog down. I didn't realize dogs were so hard to kill.

I've got questions pertaining to SD & dogs but I think I'll ask those in a different post so as to not get off topic.

2. Remove Ads

When I was an LEO we got a vicious dog complaint,we got out with shotguns,and the dog charged us,it only took one shot of #4 buck
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Dogs are animals; most don't know they're dead until they lose enough blood to be non-functional. (Much like PCP users, but I digress.) Like my signature line says...

I wonder what caliber the police were using and how well the shots connected?

Dang shame about the kid. I hope he isn't too badly damaged. Miss O'Leary as well. Prayers offered.
    Anyone Worth Shooting Is Worth Shooting Well
    Please take a look at my Blog: http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    When I was an LEO we got a vicious dog complaint,we got out with shotguns,and the dog charged us,it only took one shot of #4 buck
    Smart move.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

I'm not sure the reason for the thread. If it's that there are some dogs out there that can be vicicous, yep.. there are. IF it's that all dogs should be feared, nope... unlikely. I'll protect my dog, but if it did that... the police would not have time to get there before I had already shot it. Of all the potential threats out there, I think dogs are generally low on the list.

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    It wasn't my intention to bash dogs, dog breeds, dog owners or even the LEOs that responded to the call but only to note that it took 9 rounds to put the dog down; I just thought it required a lot of rounds before the dog died and wondered if it was normal for it to have taken so many shots to put the dog down? I read another thread on here that talked about a woman shooting a large dog in the neck nine times with a 9 mm. The dog had attacked her son. She finally got her son from the dog and rushed him into the house. The dog then went to her front porch and proceeded to bark. After shooting him, he left the porch but from what I remember, it took him several minutes to die. A neck shot would seem to be a pretty devastating blow to me but I think Archie hit the nail on the head for me; the shot placement most likely had a lot to do with the effectiveness/consequences in each case. I'm aware of people killing dogs with a shotgun and I think they were pretty much incapacitated with a single shot but what about a pistol? Is it normal to have a lot of difficulty when trying to incapacitate a dog in case of an attack? If I were attacked would I encounter a lot of difficulty, for example, in deterring an attacking dog with a 40S&W round (the caliber of my edc)? I apologize if I should have posted this in another thread but I think it is a relevant question pertaining/relating to this article.

Quote Originally Posted by DefConGun View Post
    It wasn't my intention to bash dogs, dog breeds, dog owners or even the LEOs that responded to the call but only to note that it took 9 rounds to put the dog down; I just thought it required a lot of rounds before the dog died and wondered if it was normal for it to have taken so many shots to put the dog down? I read another thread on here that talked about a woman shooting a large dog in the neck nine times with a 9 mm. The dog had attacked her son. She finally got her son from the dog and rushed him into the house. The dog then went to her front porch and proceeded to bark. After shooting him, he left the porch but from what I remember, it took him several minutes to die. A neck shot would seem to be a pretty devastating blow to me but I think Archie hit the nail on the head for me; the shot placement most likely had a lot to do with the effectiveness/consequences in each case. I'm aware of people killing dogs with a shotgun and I think they were pretty much incapacitated with a single shot but what about a pistol? Is it normal to have a lot of difficulty when trying to incapacitate a dog in case of an attack? If I were attacked would I encounter a lot of difficulty, for example, in deterring an attacking dog with a 40S&W round (the caliber of my edc)? I apologize if I should have posted this in another thread but I think it is a relevant question pertaining/relating to this article.
    I do too. I have often wondered myself if I had a decent sized dog attacked me and mine, would a pistol be enough to stop the dog immediately? Headshot, if possible, sounds like the answer.

Links