BART officer said he grabbed Gun instead of Taser - Page 2

BART officer said he grabbed Gun instead of Taser

This is a discussion on BART officer said he grabbed Gun instead of Taser within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by ep1953 Allow me to go against popular opinion. If the suspect had not resisted and allowed himself to be handcuffed he would ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BART officer said he grabbed Gun instead of Taser

Quote Originally Posted by ep1953
    Allow me to go against popular opinion.

If the suspect had not resisted and allowed himself to be handcuffed he would still be alive.

I would vote to acquit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    Resisting doesn't deserve the death penalty.
    Be careful what you wish for, there are too many rogue cops now.
    I agree with ep1953, given what I have heard so far, I'd vote to acquit too. I'm not saying this shouldn't go to trial, it should, if for nothing else than to weed out rogue cops. I'm just saying that there seems to be enough evidence that the criminal was accidentally killed while resisting arrest and it was not the police officers intent to kill him.

I can see calling this negligent homicide, but the majority of the negligence that caused this was on the part of the criminal resisting so it would be the criminal himself that was on trial, no need for that since he's dead. It would be different if the officer looked like he did it intentionally, in that case it would be manslaughter, at least, on the part of the officer.

Interesting how the two different instances of the same event are treated so differently.

BART officers along with many California departments carry their tasers on the non gun side but they carry it grip to the rear like they carry there service weapon. In Florida and most other jurisdictions the taser is also carried on the non gun side but the grip faces the front in a cross draw fashion to help eliminate any mistakes such as occurred in this case. Again it comes down to training, training, training.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    BART officers along with many California departments carry their tasers on the non gun side but they carry it grip to the rear like they carry there service weapon. In Florida and most other jurisdictions the taser is also carried on the non gun side but the grip faces the front in a cross draw fashion to help eliminate any mistakes such as occurred in this case. Again it comes down to training, training, training.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^True^^^^^^^^^^
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

its hard for me to believe that he would intentionally shoot this man w/so many people around watching the whole thing.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

VIP Member
    All I can say is it's very sad for both parties and I hope the Bart Officer gets a fair judgment. It clearly was NOT murder. Ultimately his actions were his own and he alone is responsible for them.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by ep1953 View Post
    Allow me to go against popular opinion.

If the suspect had not resisted and allowed himself to be handcuffed he would still be alive.

I would vote to acquit.
    I'm with you. Like most good people who make a serious mistake, he will already punish himself more than the system would. I dislike most accidental manslaughter charges because of this.

I agree that he'll probably get a manslaughter charge as opposed to murder.

Quote Originally Posted by MattInFla View Post
    This sort of thing is why many departments, including my local SO, requires that the Taser be carried in a cross-draw position, to physically separate it from the firearm.

Matt
    This is how my local LEOs who have Tasers carry them. There's very, very little chance of just mistakenly grabbing the gun instead of the Taser, or vice versa.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links