http://www2.wspa.com/news/2010/jun/28/police-73-year-old-holds-burglary-suspect-gunpo

http://www2.wspa.com/news/2010/jun/28/police-73-year-old-holds-burglary-suspect-gunpo

This is a discussion on http://www2.wspa.com/news/2010/jun/28/police-73-year-old-holds-burglary-suspect-gunpo within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This happened close to our neck of the woods.... Police: 73-Year-Old Holds Burglary Suspect At Gunpoint | WSPA Police: 73-Year-Old Holds Burglary Suspect At Gunpoint ...

Thread: http://www2.wspa.com/news/2010/jun/28/police-73-year-old-holds-burglary-suspect-gunpo

This happened close to our neck of the woods....

Police: 73-Year-Old Holds Burglary Suspect At Gunpoint | WSPA

Police: 73-Year-Old Holds Burglary Suspect At Gunpoint
    Douglas Michael Nickerson

Credit: Spartanburg County Sheriff

Douglas Michael Nickerson
    By Staff | goupstate.com
    Published: June 28, 2010

You don't tug on Superman's cape; you don't spit into the wind. You don't pull the mask off that old Lone Ranger, and you don't mess around with ... Ken.

That's the lesson an intruder learned Saturday when 73-year-old Ken Easler surprised the unwanted visitor. Easler had just returned to the rural home he owns with his wife, Dot, on Jones Road near Converse around 11 a.m. Saturday.

When Easler walked through his unlocked front door, he heard someone upstairs and knew it wasn't Dot, whom he had just left at the Hub City Farmers Market, where she was selling fresh produce from the couple's farm.

Easler immediately went for his 9mm Ruger P85 handgun, loaded a round into it and went to the stairwell near the front door, where Easler said the intruder was sneaking down — until he saw the gun.

“When I jacked that round in the chamber, he sat down and was holding onto the rail,” Easler said. “I know he was scared.

“I told him, ‘You do anything sudden, you're liable to end up dead.' ”

The man complied, and Easler held him at gunpoint in a bathroom off the kitchen until deputies from the Spartanburg County Sheriff's Office arrived about 10 minutes later.

Douglas Michael Nickerson, 24, of 1530 Old Pacolet Road, Spartanburg, was arrested on the scene and charged with second-degree burglary, non-violent, and petit larceny, value less than $2,000. He remained in jail Sunday night in lieu of $7,500 bond.

Easler said he's glad he wasn't forced to shoot Nickerson, but he hopes his actions will lead to a conviction that will keep Nickerson off the streets. It is the 11th arrest for Nickerson in the past two and a half years, with charges ranging from criminal domestic violence to trespassing to drug possession, according to online jail records. Nickerson also was charged with second-degree burglary — in addition to driving under suspension and reckless driving — in November.

“This ain't the first time he's come inside somebody's house,” Easler said. “If they don't send this guy to jail, the next guy may not be as tough as I am, and he could hurt somebody.”

Sheriff Chuck Wright said Sunday night that while he was not familiar with the case, he was proud of Easler when told what Easler had done.

”That's why we have (guns), to protect ourselves with,” Wright said. “I don't have any issues with what that gentleman did. I think he did a good job. ... That's the reason why good, honest citizens have a right to bear arms.”

Staying calm

It all started like any typical Saturday, with Dot Easler arriving at the farmers' market around 7 a.m. and Ken working on the farm, which sits on the couple's 13-acre property, just down the hill from where Ken grew up. Ken Easler left the home around 9:30 or so to deliver an order of 10 dozen ears of corn to the market.

After returning to gather two baskets of green tomatoes, Easler went inside the home to get a drink when he made the unpleasant discovery.

“Thank God (Nickerson) wasn't armed,” Dot Easler said. “If he had been armed, I think Ken would have shot him.”

Her husband said Nickerson, as he was sneaking down the stairs and saw Easler with the gun, told him, “Don't shoot me; I just had to go to the bathroom.”

“If he had been bigger and more intimidating,” Easler said, “I probably would have shot him on the stairs, but I stayed calm and didn't get nervous or anything.”

Easler knows how to handle a gun. He began as a youngster when he hunted in the area. In later years, the Easlers traveled extensively for Dot's wholesale fabric business, often carrying lots of cash, so both of them had permits to carry a firearm for personal protection.

“I'm a good shot,” Dot said with a chuckle.

Taking control

So is her husband, who said he ordered Nickerson first into the dining room to ask Nickerson if anyone was with him. When Nickerson assured Easler there wasn't — Easler said he promised Nickerson he'd shoot both of them if Nickerson was lying — Easler told Nickerson to move into the kitchen where Easler would use the phone to call 911.

“I told him, ‘If you make a wrong move, you're dead — I'm going to shoot you,' ” Easler said.

Easler said he then made Nickerson go into a small bathroom off the kitchen — about 6 or 7 feet from where Easler was standing — so that he could keep an eye on Nickerson. Easler added that Nickerson pretended like he was going to start crying, then began breathing heavily like he was hyperventilating. He also made a request, Easler said.

“If you just let me go, I'll never do this again,” Easler said Nickerson told him. “And I said, ‘You become a man when you decided to come into this house.' ”

Easler said that while he was kept on the phone by a 911 dispatcher until deputies arrived, Nickerson told him he had been staying at the Motel 6 on Jones Road but was thrown out, so he walked toward the Easlers' home and stopped to use the bathroom.

According to an incident report, deputies found two rolls of 50 one-dollar bills in Nickerson's pants pocket when they arrested him. Easler said he keeps rolls of dollar bills in a downstairs cabinet.

Dot Easler commended the dispatcher for keeping her husband on the phone so the situation could remain calm until deputies arrived.

”I told them I was all right,” Easler said, “but in a second, the situation could change. I was prepared to shoot (Nickerson), but I'm glad I didn't have to shoot him.”

When deputies did arrive, the report states, they found Nickerson lying on the bathroom floor, and they ordered Easler to put down his gun.

While the situation was ultimately resolved without incident, the Easlers say they're thankful no one was hurt.

Dot Easler said someone could have just as easily manhandled a man her husband's age, but the gun saved him in this instance.

“We've got to stand up for ourselves,” said Ken Easler, who later added, “(Nickerson) became 110 percent cooperative when he was looking at that gun.”
    Sejune
    Glock 30 .45
    Springfield XD 9

I screwed up the title...can someone edit it, it won't let me. Sorry!
    Sejune
    Glock 30 .45
    Springfield XD 9

Score one for the good guys. Ken did an outstanding job in my opinion.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Sejune View Post
    I screwed up the title...can someone edit it, it won't let me. Sorry!
    No need. The story has been posted already.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Sponsored Links