Would you take this risk?Man accused of purse theft, thwarted by good Samaritans

This is a discussion on Would you take this risk?Man accused of purse theft, thwarted by good Samaritans within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Skowhegan man accused of purse theft, thwarted by good Samaritans - Bangor Daily News BANGOR, Maine — Linda Davis, who has two artificial knees and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you take this risk?Man accused of purse theft, thwarted by good Samaritans

Post Would you take this risk?Man accused of purse theft, thwarted by good Samaritans

Skowhegan man accused of purse theft, thwarted by good Samaritans - Bangor Daily News

BANGOR, Maine — Linda Davis, who has two artificial knees and rheumatoid arthritis, was limping slightly Sunday night when she left the State Street One Stop convenience store carrying a hot coffee and a cup of ice.

Davis’ limp is probably why a man identified by police as Stephen A. Frappier, 24, who lists a Skowhegan address, thought she was an easy target and grabbed her purse as she left the store around 8:10 p.m., the 56-year-old Hermon resident said Monday.

“He picked me out because of that,” she said. “There were other women who had just left the store.”

After her purse was grabbed, “I was trying to fight him to keep my purse, but he got it,” Davis said. He yanked on the purse several times and “I couldn’t hold it any longer. The coffee and the ice went flying.”

Once Frappier had the handbag, he took off running. He was pursued by two good Samaritans, who witnessed the attack and attempted to catch the suspect, Bangor police Sgt. Paul Edwards said Monday.

“One of the witnesses who chased the man retrieved the purse after the suspect dropped it while” attempting to escape, he said.

Bangor roommates Joseph Burke and Tyler Heber, both 24, had been on a bicycle ride around the city and stopped at the store, which is at the corner of State Street and Broadway, to get a drink.

Burke held the door for Davis as she came out of the convenience store, and he and Heber were putting their drinks in their bike drink holders when they heard her scream.

“I’m like, ‘Let’s go get him,’” Burke said. “We left everything on the ground and took off after him. I went one way and my buddy went the other way. It was crazy.”

The two good Samaritans chased Frappier until they reached a fence, Burke recalled.

“We all jumped the fence, and he [the suspect] threw the purse,” he said. “I kept chasing the guy and [Heber] grabbed the purse” and returned it to Davis.

Burke said he followed Frappier and was able to point him out to police when they arrived.

The store’s clerk called 911, and Bangor police Officer Michael Brennan arrived within seconds, joined minutes later by Officer Joe Baillargeon, who found Frappier “out of breath and sweating profusely a few streets over,” Edwards said.

He was arrested and charged with felony robbery and was taken to Penobscot County Jail. If convicted of the Class A robbery, Frappier could face a penalty of up to 30 years in prison and a fine of up to $50,000. His bail was set at $750 during a court appearance Monday, and he remained in jail Monday evening, a jail official said.

“Not only did they get the purse back, but they had good descriptions” of the suspect, Edwards said of Burke and Heber.

Davis’ purse contained a small amount of money but — more important to her — held pictures of her grandchildren.

“It was the two boys that should be given recognition,” Davis said of the men who helped her. “Without them, he wouldn’t have been caught.”

Davis offered Burke and Heber a cash reward, but they wouldn’t take it, she said, adding that one lost his iPod while running after the suspect.

Burke said that even though he lost his iPod, chasing the suspect “was no trouble to us. We just wanted to help. I looked at her and thought of my grandmother.”

Davis said she would forever remember the kindness of Burke and Heber.

“They’re just great,” she said. “Some kids wouldn’t have bothered. It was a very selfless thing they did. I really want to thank them from the bottom of my heart, not just for my purse, [but also] just for doing it.”

She added later, “They are my heroes, that’s for sure.”

2. Remove Ads

I would not have chased him. The purse is not worth the risk. However, I might interject if, when she resisted, he began to beat her. I know a lot of people in the forum, advise to just be a good witnesses. I just could not stand back and let some, especially an elderly woman, be beat. In this case that did not happen, and I would call 911 and ensure the lady was alright.
    "When war does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the
    scabbard." -General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Yup, I probably would. I'm kind of impulsive like that. And besides, I despise thieves.

Another point, I applaud these guys courage to do something. Too many people will watch an attack and do nothing. The worst people will even record it on their phones, not for evidence, but to put on youtube.
    "When war does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the
    scabbard." -General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Thirty years in prison would be a fitting end for this dirtbag, why should society have to put up with oxygen thieves like this guy?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    We just wanted to help. I looked at her and thought of my grandmother.”

Davis said she would forever remember the kindness of Burke and Heber.

“They’re just great,” she said. “Some kids wouldn’t have bothered. It was a very selfless thing they did. I really want to thank them from the bottom of my heart, not just for my purse, [but also] just for doing it.”

She added later, “They are my heroes, that’s for sure.”

^^^^^This is why^^^^^^^^^^^^

Because GOOD people should stick together and help one another when possible.
    I'm not saying Jump into the lion's lair, but clearly these guys were both older,(24) and assesed the situation, and presumed the perp was not armed, (at least not with a gun or a knife) that they could see, so they ran him down.

This is my favorite part,

Bangor police Officer Michael Brennan arrived within seconds, joined minutes later by Officer Joe Baillargeon, who found Frappier “out of breath and sweating profusely a few streets over,” Edwards said.
    Dag-nabbin' knuckledraggers!!!!
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Admirable but dangerous, especially splitting up. Then again maybe they were ccw and just kept their mouth shut.

I would love to, but I doubt that I could catch a twenty-four year old rabbit.

I might get involved depending on who is with me, but there will be no running. I hate running.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

I would be the limpee,so no foot chase,but Tx allows 3rd party defense and had he assaulted her on my watch I would have introduced him to mr. Colt
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I and whomever was with me would have given one heck of a pursuit. Then again, I am a volunteer firefighter, and 90% of my friends are LEO's and the rest are military/ex military and/or Paramedics. We all feel the incessant need to do good.
    Semper Paratus

‎"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Absolutely I'd be in pursuit. If you are physically able to give chase, it is unthinkable not to do so.

Purse snatchers are some of the lowest dregs of society, right down there with child molesters. Hey, wanna see how to handle purse thieves? Here's how you do it. In the last bit you see the purse retrieved.

Not like you're going to risk very much by giving chase, especially if several other bystanders are joining you in the effort.

What you have to be careful about is if the perp stops and pulls a knife. But then, he'd be bringing a knife to a gunfight. "What if he pulls a gun?" Then he wouldn't be a purse-snatching punk in the first place.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Linda Davis, who has two artificial knees and rheumatoid arthritis, was limping slightly Sunday night when she left the State Street One Stop convenience store carrying a hot coffee and a cup of ice.
    The victim had a potential weapon she failed to use--a hot cup of coffee--thrown into the eyes of the BG, may have discouraged him from taking the purse. Then as he is screaming in pain from burnt eyes--she could have clobbered him with the purse

GOOD for the two young guys...
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

AzB
    Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    Because GOOD people should stick together and help one another when possible.
    I'm not saying Jump into the lion's lair, but clearly these guys were both older,(24) and assesed the situation, and presumed the perp was not armed, (at least not with a gun or a knife) that they could see, so they ran him down.
    "All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing."
    -- Edmund Burke
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

I would probably try and stop them. I'm young and idealistic :p
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Quote Originally Posted by TangoMonkey View Post
    I would not have chased him. The purse is not worth the risk.
    That just tells thieves that it's open season on grannys with purses.
    Like when cops announce they don't chase car thieves, car theft goes up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links