BAD: Two Tampa, FL police officers murdered (Merged)

This is a discussion on BAD: Two Tampa, FL police officers murdered (Merged) within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Sad! I think he will be found and dealt with very soon. Prayers for both Officers and their families!...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BAD: Two Tampa, FL police officers murdered (Merged)

Sad! I think he will be found and dealt with very soon.

Prayers for both Officers and their families!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

2. Remove Ads

Prayers to the families. Terrible.

Was out early this morning running errands in clearwater and saw the alerts for a red Toyota but had no clue....

Looks like they have the female passenger in custody. Still searching for the dirtbag shooter.

Live updates: Police Chief Castor holding news conference

TAMPA - A woman wanted for questioning in connection with the deaths of two Tampa police officers has been taken into custody, authorities say.

Police launched a manhunt for Dontae Rashawn Morris, 24, and Cortnee' Nicole Brantley, 22, after Officer Jeffrey Kocab and Officer Dave Curtis were shot and left for dead this morning.

Officer Kocab, who had been with the department about 14 months, was married, and his wife is nine months pregnant. Officer Curtis, a four-year veteran of the department, was married with four young children.

Read the full story.

TBO.com is updating as news comes in:

1:35 p.m.: Tampa Police Chief Jane Castor plans a news conference at 2 p.m. at their command center on 50th Street. We will carry the news conference live on TBO.

12:59 p.m.: Tampa police officers and Hillsborough County deputies have located Cortnee Brantley, Tampa police spokeswoman Laura McElroy said. A tip led detectives to the Bristol Bay Apartment Complex at 4809 Bristol Bay Way. She was found in apartment 202. Detectives also recovered the suspect vehicle at the complex, McElroy said.

12:44 p.m.: Donations can be made to the officers' families at the Tampa Bay Federal Credit Union. You can go to any TBFCU location to make a donation or mail it the Tampa Police Department, ATTN: The Fallen Officers' Memorial Fund.

12:31 CBS Outdoor digital billboards has offered the use of several billboards in Tampa to advertise information about the two people Tampa police want to question. Billboards are slated to go live at 1 p.m. at the following locations:

I-75, a half-mile north of S.R. 60 in Brandon

I-75, 1 mile south of Fowler Avenue

I-4, about 850 feet east of Martin Luther King

Dale Mabry Highway, a half-mile north of Hillsborough Avenue

Veteran's Expressway, 50 feet north of Waters Avenue

Hillsborough Avenue, .6 miles east of Race Track Road

12:05 p.m.: Crime Stoppers of Tampa Bay is offering a reward of up to $5,000 for information that leads to the arrests and indictments of the suspects responsible for the murders of Tampa Police Officers David Curtis and Jeffrey Kocab. Tipsters can contact Crime Stoppers of Tampa Bay by phone, web, or text message 24 hours a day and remain completely anonymous.

Just call 1-800-873-TIPS(8477), report anonymously online at Crime Stoppers of Tampa Bay or text "CSTB plus your tip" to C-R-I-M-E-S (274637).

11:52 a.m.: The level of interest in the Bristol Bay City View apartment complex jumps way up. More police cars, tactical response team vehicles and ambulances arrive.

11:38 a.m.: Tampa Police Chief Jane Castor has e-mailed her staff to say effective immediately, the department will remain in a state of mourning for seven days. Officers in uniform will wear black bands over their badges during this period. The department flag will fly at half-staff.

10:48 a.m.: Guns drawn, police are checking cars leaving the Bristol Bay City View apartment complex at 4900 Bristol Bay Way in Palm River.

"The stopped me and checked my trunk," said Bryan Cronin, a resident. "They had their guns drawn."

Police did not say what they were looking for, Cronin said. "But I know why they are here."

10:35 a.m.: Law enforcement officers have been collecting evidence since the shooting happened at 2:15 a.m.

"We would like to thank all of those from the various businesses and public that have donated food and drinks to all the law enforcement personnel that are actively working on the Tampa Police Department case where two officers were shot and killed during the early morning hours today," Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office spokeswoman Debbie Carter said.

10:02 a.m.: Tampa police have uniform patrol officers, undercover officers, K-9 units and helicopters searching for the persons of interest. The Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office provides deputies to help, Tampa police spokeswoman Laura McElroy said.

10:00 a.m.: Tampa police are at 4900 Bristol Bay Way, where a red Toyota Camry has been found.

9:57 a.m.: Information on the two individuals sought is about to go up on 10 billboards in three cities. Six are in Tampa, two are in Orlando and two are in Miami.

9:54 a.m.: "We do believe they may be dangerous," Tampa police spokeswoman Laura McElroy says of the pair the Tampa police want to question.

"To lose two officers less than a year after losing Cpl. Mike Roberts is a devastating blow," McElroy says. Roberts was killed in the line of duty in August.

9:40 a.m.: Tampa police want to talk to these two people about the shooting deaths. Dontae Rashawn Morris, 24, and Cortnee' Nicole Brantley, 22. Tampa police call them "persons of interest."

9:30 a.m.:The search for the man who killed two police officers may soon be going digital.

CBS Outdoor offers to assist police by using digital billboards in the city to advertise suspect information.

9:19 a.m.: Sweet Cohen tells a reporter that she was washing dishes in apartment A, 3212 N. 50th when she heard two gunshots about 2:15 a.m.

She said she immediately called 911 and reported that a bystander said "officer down on North 50th."

She said she walked to where the two officers were on the ground. The 911 dispatcher kept her on the line for about 10 to 12 minutes before transferring her to the Tampa Police Department operator for more information, she said.

About 5 minutes later, the first officers arrived on the scene, she said.

9:05 a.m. "It has just been heartwrenching as the family members have said goodbye to their loved ones," Tampa Mayor Pam Iorio said. "It has been an emotional time inside this hospital.

"I can't say enough about the families. They are both very brave families," she continued.

"They both have said their loved ones loved going to work every day, that it was the best job in the world."

Officer Dave Curtis leaves behind his wife, Kelly, and four children: Austin, 9; Sean, 6; Tyler, 5; and Hunter, 8 months.

Officer Jeffrey Kocab's wife, Sara, is nine months pregnant. The baby is due next week.

8:50 a.m. Chief Jane Castor said that while Curtis has been pronounced dead, his family has chosen to harvest his organs, so he will remain on life support for the next couple hours.

His organs are set to be donated.

"That speaks to the kind of man he is," Castor said.

8:30 a.m. Officer Dave Curtis is pronounced dead.

8:20 a.m. Officers have a perimeter set up from Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard to Interstate 4 and from 40th Street to 50th Street.

8:06 a.m.: The search for the suspects extends statewide. Anyone driving on 50th Street at the time of the shooting should call authorities at (813) 231-6130.

7:47 a.m.: As more police officers depart Tampa General Hospital, a convoy of sheriff's office cruisers arrives, lights and sirens on.

7:13 a.m.: Many of the police officers leave the hospital, grim-faced, some with red eyes, all declining to comment.

6:45 a.m.: Mayor Pam Iorio breaks down in tears after the news conference.

"This is an unbelievable tragedy," she had said during the news conference at Tampa General Hospital. "Our hearts are just breaking.

"We are doing everything possible to help the wives and their families. It's a very bleak day for Tampa. I can't tell you the sadness that surrounds every one of us right now."

6:30 a.m.: Tampa Police Chief Jane Castor and Tampa Mayor Pam Iorio announce that Officer Jeffrey Kocab has died from his injuries.

2:21 a.m. A passerby calls 911 to report two officers shot. Police and paramedics arrive and transport the officers to Tampa General Hospital.

2:15 a.m.: Tampa police officer Dave Curtis stops a red Toyota Camry for a missing tag near 50th Street and 23rd Avenue, police spokeswoman Laura McElroy said. The passenger is wanted on a misdemeanor warrant out of Jacksonville for a worthless check, so Curtis calls for backup and Officer Jeffrey Kocab comes to the scene.

Both officers are shot in the head at close range as they approach the passenger side of the Toyota, McElroy says.

Senior Moderator
    The woman who is believed to be the driver of the car is in custody. The passenger, who is the suspected shooter, is still at large.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

I will be interested to see the exact details, if they ever come out. They might save some lives in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by nlax2011 View Post
    Looks like they have the female passenger in custody. Still searching for the dirtbag shooter.
    I believe she was the driver. Capital murder.

Prayers for the famalies of the fallen officers, and may they R.I.P.

May the shooter receive many lead donations.
    Lethal injection for the driver...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Something tells me the shooter is probably hiding somewhere outside Tampa,could even be in another State,I bet US Marshalls fugitive task force find him
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Very Sad! I think that any car stop between 10 pm and 5 am ought to be ALL felony stops. That would put an end to a lot of this crap.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Quote Originally Posted by mprp View Post
    Very Sad! I think that any car stop between 10 pm and 5 am ought to be ALL felony stops. That would put an end to a lot of this crap.
    oh...thanks
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Quote Originally Posted by mprp View Post
    I don't think your going to find many cops in favor of that and it would not end all of this crap.

The Newhall incident was a felony stop. That one cost four lives.

Angry

Morris is found not guilty of murder in a previous arrest . He spends two years in Stark for drugs where he learns to headshoot cops because they wear ballistic vests though he might have already learned that on the street. He comes out and in less than a year does just what he has had a perpencity to do all his life, kill two cops. Another poor misunderstood, misguided soul and a victim of society on the way to turning his life around when this unavoidable incident instigated by the Tampa Police takes place.... Rot in hell Morris you low life piece of garbage. I know he will never read this but I really needed to vent.

Both officers are shot in the head at close range as they approach the passenger side of the Toyota, McElroy says.

A Part of America Died

By Harry Koch

Someone killed a policeman today,

And a part of America Died.

A piece of our country he swore to protect

Will be buried with him at his side.

The suspect who shot him will stand up in court.

With counsel demanding his rights.

While a young widowed mother must work for her kids

And spend alone many long nights

The beat that he walked was a battlefield, too.

Just as if he'd gone off to war.

Though the flag of our nation won't fly at half mast,

To his name they will add a gold star

Yes, someone killed a policeman today

It happened in your town or mine.

While we slept in comfort behind our locked doors.

A cop put his life on the line.

Now, his ghost walks a beat on a dark city street.

And he stands at each new rookie's side

He answered the call and gave us his all

And a part of America died.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Very sad!!! I saw the news earlier and the suspect already has his picture/photo
    in a billboard somewhere in I4.

There is now a $75 thousand reward for their whereabouts.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    I don't think your going to find many cops in favor of that and it would not end all of this crap.

The Newhall incident was a felony stop. That one cost four lives.
    I know it wouldn't end all of it. I didn't say it would end all of it either and I know it'll never happen. I was just sayin'.....

Just one of those frustrating things.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links