Good: 15 Year old defends home

This is a discussion on Good: 15 Year old defends home within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Texas: Teen shoots would-be burglary suspect Teen shoots would-be burglary suspect at his home in northwest Harris County | abc13.com HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Two would-be ...

Thread: Good: 15 Year old defends home

Good: 15 Year old defends home

Texas: Teen shoots would-be burglary suspect

Teen shoots would-be burglary suspect at his home in northwest Harris County | abc13.com

HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Two would-be burglars are in police custody thanks to the quick actions of a 15-year-old.

emorial Hermann Hospital. Investigators say they aren't sure whether the injured suspect is going to make it. He was shot in both his legs and face by a 15-year-old who detectives say feared for his and his sister's safety.

It happened at a home on Royal Place Court in northwest Harris County at around 2:30pm Tuesday.

"All he said was, 'Anybody seriously hurt?' and he said, 'Oh yeah, definitely,'" neighbor Renee Thompson said.

The blood on the driveway told a burglary-gone-bad story.

Deputies say the suspects broke into the home through a back window. From upstairs, the 15-year-old -- who was home with his 12-year-old sister -- heard the breaking glass and grabbed his father's automatic rifle. The burglary was soon over.

Family members rushed to the home, but the children's father, Vince Guerra, had beaten them all there. He's a Harris County Pct. 1 deputy constable and was on duty when it happened. No wonder his son knew what to do.

"We don't try to hide things from our children, and we try to give them a perspective about the way things are," Harris County Sheriff's Office Lt. Jeff Stauber said.

Within an hour, both suspects -- one adult and one juvenile -- were in custody; they were caught at a nearby hospital while seeking help.

The juvenile was brought back to the scene, where deputies checked him for evidence and collected the rifle.

Neighbors backed what the 15-year-old did.

"I'm really glad he was able to defend himself," Thompson said.

Investigators concluded the shooting was justified.

"As parents, we protect our kids, and as an older brother, he was protecting his sister and himself," Stauber said.

Neighbors say there have been recent burglaries in the neighborhood.

Investigators said that rifle was the personal weapon of the teen's father, the deputy constable. He's been with the constable's office for 11 years and is described as a good officer.

There were some questions about whether he'd be liable for the shooting since his son had easy access to the weapon, but ABC13's legal expert says that the 15-year-old's right to protect his home and sister trumps all child firearm access laws.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post

Good for the boy! My son's are responsible and safe around firearms and are profficient shooters. I take them to the range twice a month and let them fire their 10/22 and my AR. I would like to think they would react the same as this brave young man but it is doubtful since I keep my weapons secured. Something to think about....

My only concern is the fact that they called it an automatic rifle. Other than that, kudos to the kid!
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

That's what my kids were taught! As long as the juvenile is handling the weapon in the manner and for the reasons it is intended, the access by minor should not come into play. What was he to do? Let his sister and himself be murdered and the suspects get away so nobody would know who murdered them? As long as there is a jury system of law in this Country and a jury of your peers includes parents of minor children, I do not believe even if charged he would be convicted of any crime.

I'm happy this boy was taught the how and when to use a weapon and had the nerve to use it. Congrats! to both the dad and the son.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    That's what my kids were taught! As long as the juvenile is handling the weapon in the manner and for the reasons it is intended, the access by minor should not come into play. What was he to do? Let his sister and himself be murdered and the suspects get away so nobody would know who murdered them? As long as there is a jury system of law in this Country and a jury of your peers includes parents of minor children, I do not believe even if charged he would be convicted of any crime.

I'm happy this boy was taught the how and when to use a weapon and had the nerve to use it. Congrats! to both the dad and the son.
    This is Harris County Texas and his dad is LEO. Trust me the boy wont be charged. In fact he will probably gain minor celebrity status.

Was just wondering about the rifle used by the brave 15 year old?
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

VIP Member

Thumbs up

Good job, young man.

Quote Originally Posted by searcher 45 View Post
    Was just wondering about the rifle used by the brave 15 year old?
    Are you questioning a Rifle used by a 15 yo?

I had my first rifle (.22) when in 1st grade and a .410 shotgun the next year. Had my own 30-30 and had killed a couple of deer well before 15.

My kids were shooting a rifles at about the same age as I.

Or are you wondering type or caliber rifle it was was it?

If that's your question, I be interested, also.

BTW see:

Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    My only concern is the fact that they called it an automatic rifle.
    OTOH, his father was an LEO -- hum? I wonder? Could the papers have it right, for a change?
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Why is the rifle referred to as being a "AUTOMATIC"!
    Argh!

Anyway good on the boy.
    As well good on the dad for being able to _accurately_ assess his childs degree of _maturity_ to being so high that he could be trusted to have access to firearms & ammo.
    And he taught the boy how to shoot as well not just minimally but how to stop a beast at that.

Everybody wins in this story.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member
    Give that young man a medal!

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    Are you questioning a Rifle used by a 15 yo?

OTOH, his father was an LEO -- hum? I wonder? Could the papers have it right, for a change?
    1. Yeah, your later point is probably it, he was wondering what type/caliber it was.

2. It's entirely possible, but unlikely.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Glad the young man had the training and courage to protect his sister, his home and his self.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

VIP Member
    Good job young fella!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Links