Dumb : Huntington Police Officer & Accidental Shooting

This is a discussion on Dumb : Huntington Police Officer & Accidental Shooting within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Not much on this yet, investigation still pending. Off-duty at the time and his "personal" firearm. Probably went like this, "Hey Bud, looky at my ...

Thread: Dumb : Huntington Police Officer & Accidental Shooting

Dumb : Huntington Police Officer & Accidental Shooting

Not much on this yet, investigation still pending. Off-duty at the time and his "personal" firearm.

Probably went like this, "Hey Bud, looky at my new forty..... "BOOOOOOM". Ooooops! Sorry dude, didn't know it was loaded!

Officer involved in accidental shooting
    July 01, 2010 @ 12:00 AM

CURTIS JOHNSON

The Herald-Dispatch

HUNTINGTON -- An officer with the Huntington Police Department is on administrative leave while his friend receives treatment at a local hospital in what investigators describe to be an off-duty, accidental shooting.

Huntington Police Chief Skip Holbrook issued a press release that identified Officer Daniel Wiles as accidentally firing the shot that injured his friend, 25-year-old Justin Kinder. The incident happened about 5:30 a.m. Wednesday in the 1300 block of 4th Avenue. The victim received a gunshot wound to the left shoulder.

Holbrook's release described Kinder to be in good condition with non-life threatening injuries.

Huntington Police Capt. Rick Eplin said Wiles, off-duty at the time, accompanied and helped Kinder after the shooting to get to Cabell Huntington Hospital. After that, investigators learned of the incident, Eplin said.

The shooting involved Wiles' personally-owned firearm, Holbrook's release states. Eplin said Wiles did not have his departmental weapon at the time, but it has since been turned over to the department as a matter of normal protocol.

The department's incident report, according to Eplin, states Kinder told police he only recalled hearing a loud noise and then realized he was shot. Investigators found the gun on a nearby sidewalk at the scene and a phone belonging to Kinder.

The captain said investigators know few details as to what led to the shooting. Those questions include the specific location, although he said investigators have no reason to believe it occurred indoors. He hopes to gain additional information as interviews continue.

"I don't know where they were, what they were doing and what the circumstances were," he said. "I don't want to speculate."

Wiles joined the police force in late June 2009 at age 24. He joined as another member of a family that administrators said have dedicated themselves to public service on the city's police and fire departments.

Eplin said Wiles neither had worked nor was scheduled to work within hours of the shooting. The captain was unable to provide specifics as to Wiles' last day worked or next day scheduled, as Eplin said the officer had variable days off as a patrolman.

Holbrook's release states Wiles will remain on administrative leave while fellow Huntington Police Department officers conduct criminal and administrative investigations.

Eplin said the department is handling its own investigation. No outside agencies have been asked to assist, although Eplin said his department will consult with whoever it needs. He said his officers are treating Wednesday's shooting like any other investigation.

Holbrook's release states the criminal investigation will determine if any laws were violated. The administrative investigation will determine if Wiles violated any departmental policies.

Results of those investigations will determine any subsequent action, the release states.
    Officer involved in accidental shooting - The Herald Dispatch
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

2. Remove Ads

Probably went like this, "Wanna see somthin' cool? Here, hold my beer..."

Thumbs down

If that newspaper quote is correct "investigators found the gun on the sidewalk" . What was he thinking to leave an unattended gun where it could be picked up by anyone ?
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    If that newspaper quote is correct "investigators found the gun on the sidewalk" . What was he thinking to leave an unattended gun where it could be picked up by anyone ?
    That was exactly my thought.
    Also, what was he doing messin' with his firearm at 5:30am when he wasn't on the clock anyhow. Should be sleepin' eh?
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Treat this 'negligent discharge' the same as any John Q. Citizen would be treated.
    But they won't...he's special...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    "Accidental shooting", hmmmm.......
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

An incident like this would have ended my LEO career in a big hurry!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

OK dude I'm gonna teach ya what they taught me,now try to get to me before I can draw...Bang Oh crap
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Links