Great Video: Store owner defends herself

This is a discussion on Great Video: Store owner defends herself within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Though she is lucky the crook has such a hard time getting in. she should have drew faster. but she looked very panicked (like most ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Great Video: Store owner defends herself

Though she is lucky the crook has such a hard time getting in. she should have drew faster. but she looked very panicked (like most of us would be)

B]Ohio: Elyria Store Owner Opens Fire on Robber [/B]

Elyria Store Owner Opens Fire on Robber - WJW

ELYRIA, Ohio - Surveillance cameras were rolling as the owner of a carry-out in Elyria faced a life and death struggle, when a would-be robber tried to force his way into the store Monday morning.

The man eventually succeeded in getting through the door in the drive-thru, but the owner had a surprise for him, a gun she carries in her hip pocket.

She tells Fox 8 "I reacted as fast as I could, trying to put a barrier between him and I saw him breaking through that door and I shot him."

Once the tables have been turned on the bandit, he ran away.

The owner does not want to to be identified but says her store had been held up earlier this month, and she was acting on instinct when she fired at the suspect.

She says "it was 'you're not getting me, this ain't happening to me again, I'm not going to allow you to take this from me' and basically it was survival, I was trying not to get killed."

Customers who ask about the shattered glass in the door, are learning how the owner defended her business. The regulars are now calling her Annie "get your gun" Oakley.

A customer named Mary says "I think she should have shot him because if he got in, he could have shot and killed her so that was really self defense."

The owner says she decided to get a permit to carry the gun after the June 2008 murder of a clerk at a gas station in Elyria. In that case, the clerk was killed, even though she complied with all of the robber's demands.

As police search for the robber, the owner says she believes she has struck a blow for justice, and the right of citizens to protect themselves and their property.

She says "it's definitely empowering but at the same token, I'm just glad that I was prepared, I never wanted to be one of those owners that wasn't prepared."

And there is a message for criminals who are terrorizing carry-outs and other small businesses.

She tells Fox 8 "you don't know who you're robbing, you better beware because you don't know, we don't all come into business totally blind, we know what we're getting ourselves into and you caught the wrong person, I was prepared."

Investigators believe the man was wounded and may be seeking medical attention.

Anyone who can identify him is asked to Elyria Police.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Great post. Thanks. I'm passing this on.
    For God, Family and Country!

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    she showed an amazing amount of restraint...

Beautiful!
    Luis

"Everybody's got a plan, 'til they get hit".

Mike Tyson

Now we need to teach her 'center of mass'...nice defense work!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Scary.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Take specific note that not only did she save her own life but she saved that of the white shirt wearing male that was cowering low _behind_ her while clutching a cell phone no doubt calling 911 so as to report his own expected in the immediate death.

PUT DOWN THE PHONE MAN, AND DO SOMETHING NOW TO SAVE YOUR OWN LIFE!

Dang. :|

As well the man in the red shirt at the background next to the handcart just stands there watching this all go on.
    He does not attempt to assist/stop this guy nor does he attempt to flee, which IMHO would be completely understandable all things considered.
    Rather he just stands there frozen in place. Observing, doing nothing to help save their or even his own life.

This woman was literally on her own both to shut and blockade the door with her body as well as to defend the life of both persons in that store.
    And most notably she succeeded.

Mindset.

- Janq

"I was prepared." - The victim store owner, with her pocket pistol
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I think with practice she could have hit him better and a few more times. Better luck next time. At least she will have a next time due to her own preparedness and a mindset to use her weapon.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Couldn't tell for sure but looked like she had a small caliber gun. Hey - even a .22 is better than nothing. Whatever she had got him outta there.
    For God, Family and Country!

VIP Member
    Whatever caliber it was the reaction from the BG was priceless. When confronted with personal defense by the cashier the BG abandoned his attack and did a 180 degree exit

The guy in the white shirt wasn't much help in holding back on the hinge side of the door.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

So, I'm new to CC, but was this an appropriate method of force? I mean had that been me, a male, and the guy decided to press charges based on the fact that he was unarmed How does this play out in ohio? more importantly virginia?

he was trying to violently force himself into a private property which was known to be occupied. plus..it was on video.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Don't you just love it. The scum bag bursts in, sees her gun pointed at him and just about falls over himself trying to get out of there. What an "OH SHXT" moment.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by WhatGun View Post
    So, I'm new to CC, but was this an appropriate method of force? I mean had that been me, a male, and the guy decided to press charges based on the fact that he was unarmed How does this play out in ohio? more importantly virginia?
    Dont know about Ohio or Virginia, in Mississippi, you would have a parade. Might get to ride in a converable......

WG,

For info toward use of force I'd suggest you reference this...

DefensiveCarry Concealed Carry Forum > Related Topics > Reference & "How To" Forum
    November 27th, 2007, 01:39 AM
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ard-times.html

This specific incident is very much an appropriate use of force.
    As to the person attempting to bash in the door and while doing so armed, even as he did not fire the weapon and was not injured...He has in fact committed multiple felony degree crimes, per Ohio law:

* Aggravated Assault - Lawriter - ORC - 2903.12 Aggravated assault.
    [Felony of the fourth degree]

* Aggravated Burglary - Lawriter - ORC - Chapter 2911: ROBBERY, BURGLARY, TRESPASS AND SAFECRACKING
    [Felony of the first degree]

* Brandishing of a Firearm - Lawriter - ORC - 2941.145 Firearm displayed, brandished, indicated that offender possessed the firearm, or used it to facilitate offense specification. <Distinctly toward the man in red shirt>
    [3 yr. MANDATORY prison term...Felony]

2929.14 Definite prison terms.

(1) For a felony of the first degree, the prison term shall be three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, or ten years.

(2) For a felony of the second degree, the prison term shall be two, three, four, five, six, seven, or eight years.

(3) For a felony of the third degree, the prison term shall be one, two, three, four, or five years.

(4) For a felony of the fourth degree, the prison term shall be six, seven, eight, nine, ten, eleven, twelve, thirteen, fourteen, fifteen, sixteen, seventeen, or eighteen months.

(5) For a felony of the fifth degree, the prison term shall be six, seven, eight, nine, ten, eleven, or twelve months.

Source - Lawriter - ORC - 2929.14 Definite prison terms.
    Now I am not from Ohio, have never been to Ohio...But the video shown here is extraordinarily clear in view and context.

No where in America by any states specific laws would this situation be deemed to be anything but a felony of violence in progress.
    Use of force, lethal force, to repel against such force to _defend_ ones own life would not be questioned by most anyone. Not even an anti to this event.

But to play Devils Advocate lets say that you live in some God forsaken state (which is neither OH nor VA) that for some very odd reason would empower it's police to arrest a citizen _victim_ for acting as this woman did.
    What is worse; To be murdered or to survive and see your day in court?

It's cliche but true; 'Tis better to be judged by twelve ('peers') than to be carried by six (family & friends).

The only item I wish I could change for this incident as related to what is shown on the video, is for the victimized woman to have aimed just a bit higher and to have struck the THREAT in the upper chest,neck or head...And to have stopped him DRT (Dead Right There).

Why do I say that?

Because as brazen and fearless this man was toward attacking persons in broad day light well within view of multiple witnesses, he likely will have no issue what so ever with doing same again toward another. And quite likely has done same before to others.
    This is not the work or actions of a hesitant novice attempting to make his first score...And I very much doubt that just narrowly being shot will cause him to drop his evil ways, go to a local church to repent his sins upon man and to thereafter for ever become a model citizen who pays taxes & participates in his childs PTA events.

This victim was very well within her right to defend herself by way of lethal force.

- Janq

"Aim High!" - The United States Air Force
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links