Police: Woman pulls gun in police car, starts firing

Police: Woman pulls gun in police car, starts firing

This is a discussion on Police: Woman pulls gun in police car, starts firing within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Police: Woman pulls gun in police car, starts firing | KATU.com - Breaking News, Sports, Traffic and Weather - Portland, Oregon | News GRASS VALLEY, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Police: Woman pulls gun in police car, starts firing

Post Police: Woman pulls gun in police car, starts firing

Police: Woman pulls gun in police car, starts firing | KATU.com - Breaking News, Sports, Traffic and Weather - Portland, Oregon | News

GRASS VALLEY, Ore. - A handcuffed woman in the back of a police car pulled out a .40 caliber handgun and started firing shots Wednesday night, holding police at a distance for more than 4 hours before surrendering.

The standoff closed Highway 97 both north and south in northcentral Oregon.

The incident started just before 8 p.m. Wednesday when a Sherman County, Ore., sheriff's deputy stopped a blue 1999 Chevrolet Cavalier two door sedan for a traffic violation.

The car was being driven by Leonardo Rodriguez, 54, of Yakima, Wash. Candice Sahme, 24, and Nathan Smith, 21, both of Yakima, Wash., were passengers in the car.

During the course of the traffic stop, the deputy became suspicious that Sahme may have been involved in criminal activity. He detained Sahme by placing her in handcuffs while he continued his investigation. The deputy then put Sahme in the rear seat of his Ford Crown Victoria police car and called for assistance.

While the deputy called for backup, police said Sahme produced a .40 cal handgun, which had been hidden on her person, and fired multiple shots from the back seat of the police car.

The deputy, who was not hit by any of the shots, was able to retreat from the immediate area while he awaited assistance. Neither he nor his drug detection canine, which was locked in a dog cage in the rear of the police car, were injured.

Police said Smith exited the Chevrolet Cavalier and unsuccessfully attempted to free Sahme from the back seat of the police car.

A short time later, backup officers arrived on scene to assist. Smith and Rodriguez were both taken into custody, but Sahme remained holed up in the back of the car.

Officers from several law enforcement agencies including the Sherman County Sheriff's Office, Gilliam County Sheriff's Office, the Sherman County District Attorney's Office and the Oregon State Police responded to the scene.

Highway 97 was closed to both northbound and southbound traffic while the scene was secured. The Oregon State Police SWAT team was activated and responded to the scene.

At 2:15 a.m., Sahme surrendered to members of the SWAT team and was taken into custody. Sahme was transported to the jail in The Dalles, Ore., where she was charged with First Degree Criminal Mischief, Unlawful use of a Weapon, Attempted Second Degree Escape, Recklessly Endangering, Menacing with a firearm and Theft first degree.

Smith was also jailed on charges of Felon in Possession of a Weapon and Theft First Degree.

Rodriguez was not charged with a crime and was later released.

I'm not a cop, but shouldn't she have been searched prior to being put into the back seat of a police car? Somebody's have a come to 'Jesus' meeting with a supervisor.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Probably male officers who didn't want to risk sexual accusations by patting her down.
    It does seem like the cops were not on the ball though.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

I walked into a situation at the jail where a guy had gone off and whipped up 3 jailers as he was brought in and 2 police officers. He was my size, which is not big. They had supposedly 'frisked' him before they ever put him in their car and took him to the jail, and again after arriving at the jail. At least that's what they reassured me they had done. It took all 5 of them to shove him into a holding cell and quickly lock the door (right after I walked in).

I was known for de-escalating situations, and violent situations. So, they asked me to talk to this guy. I went into the room and had them lock me in.

After 2 hrs of him threatening to kill me about every 2 minutes, he calmed down and decided to cooperate with the jailers. I told them to open up the door, and as they did.... the guy says ..... "oh , I better give you this first", and reaches into the crotch of his pants and hands me a .357 loaded revolver.

WHAT ? This guy actually had something to back up his threats. I walked over to the 2 officers, pulled them and the Jail 'Supervisor into a private room, tossed the gun onto a desk.... and began explaining to them if they put my life in danger again like that ... exactly what part of their anatomy of theirs I would put that firearm.

Lesson re-learned. Never trust anything if you haven't checked them personally.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    They had supposedly 'frisked' him before they ever put him in their car and took him to the jail, and again after arriving at the jail. At least that's what they reassured me they had done.
    ........dang, I saw this one coming.

.... the guy says ..... "oh , I better give you this first", and reaches into the crotch of his pants and hands me a .357 loaded revolver.
    You handeled your coworkers ALOT better than I would've

One thing that was 'pounded' into my classes heads was to check EVERYBODY..........twice......yourself!

A .357....or a 'cuffed & stuffed' woman with a 'forty'.....is beyond a wake-up call.
    Glad both situations ended with none of the GG's getting shot.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    Probably male officers who didn't want to risk sexual accusations by patting her down.
    It does seem like the cops were not on the ball though.
    ^^^This is what I was thinking the minute I read the headline^^^^

Eagleks

^^^ The proverbial Nail on the head here^^^^^^^^

Glad you came out of that unscathed Eagleks
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Always search anyone that you are putting in the back of your car and if they are going in cuffs, you cuff THEN search
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

I can understand a male officer not strip searching a female suspect but a quick pat down even with the back of his hand is not unreasonable. For everybody safety.

Senior Moderator
    I cant believe that she wasn't shot on the spot.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array pinklady's Avatar
    I'm surprised that no one was killed here. They should have called for a female officer if they didn't want to search her.

I walked into a situation at the jail where a guy had gone off and whipped up 3 jailers as he was brought in and 2 police officers. He was my size, which is not big. They had supposedly 'frisked' him before they ever put him in their car and took him to the jail, and again after arriving at the jail. At least that's what they reassured me they had done. It took all 5 of them to shove him into a holding cell and quickly lock the door (right after I walked in).

I was known for de-escalating situations, and violent situations. So, they asked me to talk to this guy. I went into the room and had them lock me in.

After 2 hrs of him threatening to kill me about every 2 minutes, he calmed down and decided to cooperate with the jailers. I told them to open up the door, and as they did.... the guy says ..... "oh , I better give you this first", and reaches into the crotch of his pants and hands me a .357 loaded revolver.

WHAT ? This guy actually had something to back up his threats. I walked over to the 2 officers, pulled them and the Jail 'Supervisor into a private room, tossed the gun onto a desk.... and began explaining to them if they put my life in danger again like that ... exactly what part of their anatomy of theirs I would put that firearm.

Sir, you may be in the wrong line of work!

Ever thought of working for the Lord?
    Luis

"Everybody's got a plan, 'til they get hit".

Mike Tyson

Senior Moderator
    Like HK said, a search with the back of the hand is perfectly reasonable and should have been done. I've done it. Not a big deal for something that could save your life.

Not every police dept has female officers on board. Mine doesn't.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I agree with the back of the hand pat down. Not doing so puts lives in danger. How is he supposed to hold this individual, and the other two, while waiting for a female officer to do a pat down?

Lucky no one was killed or injured.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    I cant believe that she wasn't shot on the spot.
    I'm thinking the dog in the car with her saved her life.

I would like to know if she was handcuffed in the front or back and yes some can slip the cuffs to the front. Not so easy with hinged cuffs with palms facing out though. Appears he was dealing with three suspects by himself. I have no reservations about female patdowns as long as I can articulate the reason for it and officer safety is my main concern when I do it. Not being critical because I wasn't there just wanting to learn.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links