Good Washington Time Editorial

This is a discussion on Good Washington Time Editorial within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2010/jun/25/gun-grabbers-treat-criminals-as-victims/ EDITORIAL: Gun grabbers treat criminals as victims Groups appalled at use of concealed firearms in self-defense The Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence and ...

Thread: Good Washington Time Editorial

VIP Member

Thumbs up Good Washington Time Editorial

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2010/jun/25/gun-grabbers-treat-criminals-as-victims/

EDITORIAL: Gun grabbers treat criminals as victims
    Groups appalled at use of concealed firearms in self-defense

The Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence and the Violence Policy Center (VPC) are peddling the notion that concealed-handgun permit holders are a danger to society. Last month, the center released a report claiming that in the past three years, 166 people were killed by holders of concealed-weapon permits. A closer look at the evidence suggests that many of the so-called victims of gun violence were criminals. Because more than 6 million Americans hold permits, it is important to set the record straight.

As one of the most populous states with a right-to-carry law, Florida has the most concealed-handgun permits. Between Oct. 1, 1987, and May 31, the state issued them to 1.8 million individuals. So far, just 167 permits have been revoked over any type of firearms-related violation. Most of those involved trivial, nonviolent infractions. To put that figure into perspective, the annual revocation rate is a minuscule 0.00017 percent, with just three revocations since January 2008. More people are killed every year by falling vending machines than by holders of a concealed-weapon permit.

You wouldn't know that from the rhetoric of the gun-control groups, which portray Florida as a dangerous place to live because of its laws. According to the VPC report, the Sunshine State accounted for 17 of the 96 "killer" permit holders nationwide, far more than any other state.

A recent Fox News investigation shot holes in the study. No charges were ever brought in seven of the Florida cases. One case clearly did not involve a permit holder - the person was, in fact, charged with illegally carrying a concealed handgun. Two cases that are still pending apparently involved self-defense, with one local newspaper account suggesting that the permit holder had a "strong case" to show that he had acted properly. Another case involved the accidental discharge of a firearm. The gun grabbers score all of these incidents as kills, but at least nine of them are examples of right-to-carry laws being used by permit holders to protect themselves and their families.

Three cases did result in "convictions," but they hardly represent clear-cut examples. One involved an accidental discharge and a conviction for involuntary manslaughter. In another case, a convicted felon sparked the incident by confronting the permit holder. According to the prosecutor, the permit holder "was in some way defending himself during an escalating altercation between the men caught on the security video" and that, "People can look at that tape and interpret it two or three different ways." His conviction rested on the question of whether he had done enough to avoid the confrontation.

The Brady Campaign and the Violence Policy Center show their desperation by twisting legitimate examples of self-defense into crimes. The simple fact is that most gun owners are law-abiding citizens. Suggesting that burglars, rapists and other hardened criminals are "victims" of permit holders is a stretch, even for these groups. The real statistics show that America is a safer place thanks to more of its citizens having a right to protect themselves and their families.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

2. Remove Ads

Pretty simple...

"More Guns = Less Crime"
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

That's the Brady Campaign - lies, lies, and more lies.
    I've also read that they dishonestly inflate the numbers of children killed with guns by counting as "children" people up to the age of 19, most of whom are killed in gang-related warfare. Here's a great site (probably well-known here):
    Gun Facts - Gun Control | Facts | Debunk | Myths

Distinguished Member
    Nice to see someone gets it and the paper published it.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    The lying antics of the Brady wacko's is nothing new. I remember when they used to count criminals killed by police as "victims". If they depended on the truth, they'd be extinct.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    The lying antics of the Brady wacko's is nothing new. I remember when they used to count criminals killed by police as "victims". If they depended on the truth, they'd be extinct.
    I think they're slowly headed in that direction anyway!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Links