Watched this on the news, truly disturbing

This is a discussion on Watched this on the news, truly disturbing within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; washingtonpost.com By CHUCK BARTELS The Associated Press Wednesday, June 30, 2010; 8:48 PM JONESBORO, Ark. -- Video taken from a police SUV dashboard camera shows ...

Thread: Watched this on the news, truly disturbing

washingtonpost.com

By CHUCK BARTELS
    The Associated Press
    Wednesday, June 30, 2010; 8:48 PM

JONESBORO, Ark. -- Video taken from a police SUV dashboard camera shows an Ohio teenager on a cross-country trip with his father waited inside their van nearly 10 minutes before stepping out and firing an AK-47 at two police officers who had stopped his dad for an apparent traffic violation.

Prosecutors released video Wednesday as part of a preliminary report clearing police of wrongdoing in the fatal shootings of Jerry Kane, 45, and his son Joseph, 16.

The video, shot May 20, showed West Memphis police Officer Bill Evans making what appears to be standard traffic stop, with Jerry Kane exiting Interstate 40 and stopping along an exit ramp. That segment of the video had no audio but shows Jerry Kane stepping out of his minivan at Evans' request.

About 10 minutes later, after Officer Brandon Paudert arrived in a second vehicle, Joseph stepped out of the passenger side of the van firing an AK-47. Just before the shooting, Paudert appeared startled as Jerry Kane moved suddenly out of the frame, as though to run away.

For about 40 seconds, everyone was out of the camera's view - then Joseph Kane climbed back into the van's passenger side and his father walks quickly around the front of the vehicle and into the driver's seat.

After climbing back in the van, Joseph Kane continued to fire shots until his father drove away.

Evans and Paudert, the West Memphis police chief's son, were left dead along the exit ramp.

Jerry Kane, of Forest, Ohio, had recently been jailed after a traffic-related arrest in New Mexico. He also complained on an Internet talk show that he had been stopped at a "Nazi checkpoint" and that the arresting officer should have to pay him for using his name.

An Ohio sheriff had once warned local law officers that Kane, an advocate of anti-government causes, could be dangerous if confronted.

After the shootings, the Kanes became the subject of an intensive search and were found at a Walmart parking lot, where security video captured their movements. The younger Kane went inside the store for several minutes and shopped. After Joseph Kane returned to the van, the Kanes drove away but returned a short time later, only to be confronted by a sheriff's vehicle which cut off the van, prompting the Kanes to start shooting, wounding the officers who got out and sought cover behind their cruiser.

A wildlife officer in a truck then rammed the Kanes' vehicle hard on the driver side.

Numerous officers converged as puffs of smoke arose from the van where the Kanes were still shooting. Glass flew as bullets struck vehicle windows, but no other officers or shoppers were wounded.

Officers surrounded the vehicle with guns drawn and slowly approached. They pulled out the Kanes bodies, ending the episode about 90 minutes after Paudert and Evans were killed.

"The officers who disabled the suspects' vehicle and returned fire were not only justified but acting in self-defense," said Mike Walden, the prosecutor for the judicial district that includes Crittenden County, where the shooting occurred.

He said the Kanes would have faced capital murder charges had they not been killed.

"It has not been a difficult call for this office (to say) this was a justified shooting," Walden said.

According to the preliminary report, police found a Yugoslavian-made AK-47 and a Taurus revolver in the van, along with a dozen other firearms. Police also found burnt marijuana cigarettes behind the passenger seat.

Crittenden County sheriff's Chief of Operations W.A. Wren suffered critical injuries after he was shot in the gunfight at Walmart, but is scheduled to be released from the hospital Friday, Chief Deputy Tommy Trammel said.

"He told us they got four bullets out of him, fired from an AK-47," Trammel said. "The odds are against you on them."

Sheriff Dick Busby was wounded less seriously, taking a bullet in one of his arms. He has fully recovered, Trammel said. Both Busby and Wren had earlier announced their intention to retire at the end of the year.

The scene at the Walmart parking lot was gory, with the Kanes' bodies lying out for hours as FBI evidence technicians processed evidence amid broken glass and leaked antifreeze. The white cruiser used by Busby and Wren was in the middle of the scene, blood on its trunk lid and rear bumper.

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    Sooooo sad. Good to know that the BG are off the street, but at what cost?
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

How tragic. That boys life was wasted because of the he had for a dad.

I feel for the families of those officers that lost their lives that day.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

I also feel for the families of the fallen officers. Good riddance, as far as the cop killers.

I'm just now aware of this, and I live in the home state (where it happened). One of those reasons I guess I'm not much one into watching the news on a daily basis. I may be less disturbed because of that. Tragic and unquestionable acts. Evil comes to show it's face in more places every day. My heart and soul lie with the fallen officers of this event. Obviously not many are prepared for the unexpected unless they know what's possible. Even the best available training may not prepare you for the day. Rules of engagement on one side while it's no rules and anything goes on the other. We've all got to realize this evil is out there, and ready to be hatched at any moment. It will all happen when we least expect it. May God bless all those affected in any way.

VIP Member

For Ram Rod

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I'm just now aware of this, and I live in the home state (where it happened). One of those reasons I guess I'm not much one into watching the news on a daily basis. I may be less disturbed because of that. Tragic and unquestionable acts. Evil comes to show it's face in more places every day. My heart and soul lie with the fallen officers of this event. Obviously not many are prepared for the unexpected unless they know what's possible. Even the best available training may not prepare you for the day. Rules of engagement on one side while it's no rules and anything goes on the other. We've all got to realize this evil is out there, and ready to be hatched at any moment. It will all happen when we least expect it. May God bless all those affected in any way.
    This sad news is a few days late hitting the internet and the tv. I think the special weekend helped hold up the story's dissemination.

On the national news tonight these two (well the dad anyway) was described as a member of one of these extremist groups which believes the government has no power or jurisdiction over them, and that violence against the government is necessary.

I guess this sad story just goes to show how far delusions of persecution can take someone--especially when there is a group behind them.

Added immediately after: -- It looks like this is a 6 week old story. You quickly can see that from a google or yahoo search of the name Joseph Kane. I don't know why the news is recycling. Oh, I guess because after 6 weeks of investigation the police have been cleared--- that is the news.
    Last edited by Hopyard; July 5th, 2010 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Additional Information

This occurred in May...Check back to the postings from that time from either here and/or in the LEO area.

I'd heard of it at the time it was new news and the two persons were known members of an anti govt/govt is tyranny type group who does not believe that the laws of man apply to men as by the rule of govt., and enforcement of said laws by police local, state or federal.

The video as is this recent feature story was produced "May 20, 2010, and released Wednesday, June 30, 2010".

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    This occurred in May...Check back to the postings from that time from either here and/or in the LEO area.

I'd heard of it at the time it was new news and the two persons were known members of an anti govt/govt is tyranny type group who does not believe that the laws of man apply to men as by the rule of govt., and enforcement of said laws by police local, state or federal.

The video as is this recent feature story was produced "May 20, 2010, and released Wednesday, June 30, 2010".

- Janq
    That's correct Janq, it lists most of those facts in the article, the news really is that the Police involved in bringing the criminals down were cleared, hence why it's being reused. But the entire story in general is disturbing, and I just have recently been introduced to this.

My problem with this whole thing is that the Officers should be doubted at all here. They wasted a bunch of time and money on what was obvious to anyone watching the video. The Officers made a routine traffic stop, did nothing to provoke the Kanes and were rewarded with gunfire and murder.

This case should never have gone this far. Slam-dunk justifiable shootings on the part of the brave officers......
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Smoking dope and shooting cops...what was wrong with this family (and I use the term 'family' loosely)?

What a mess...

Sad news about the fallen officers, the the dirtbags (regardless of age) are where they belong.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I'm sorry for the tragic deaths of those two police officers and the wounding of the sheriff and his deputy.

Jerry Kane was a violent scumbag who taught his son to be violent: Now both of them are dead.

I think what the investigation SHOULD have focused on was how / why the warning from the Ohio LEOs didn't somehow reach the two officers who made the traffic stop in Arkansas. If they had been armed with that knowledge, the whole situation may have gone down quite differently.

Why couldn't these dirtbags get a defective Taurus that went Kaboom at the right time??
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Sponsored Links