Good: Homeowners awake and repell armed invaders

This is a discussion on Good: Homeowners awake and repell armed invaders within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Michigan: 1 Killed During Inkster Home Invasion 1 Killed During Inkster Home Invasion 1 Killed During Inkster Home Invasion A home invasion goes horribly wrong ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good: Homeowners awake and repell armed invaders

Michigan: 1 Killed During Inkster Home Invasion

1 Killed During Inkster Home Invasion

1 Killed During Inkster Home Invasion

A home invasion goes horribly wrong for the would-be robbers. One man is dead, and police are searching for another suspect. Inkster Police say the homeowners were asleep and woke up to find two men with a gun in their house.

Neighbors celebrated the Stars and Stripes with bottle rockets and firecrackers. The celebration on Parkwood near Middlebelt in Inkster was fitting for the Fourth of July, but as one couple slept around 1:20 Monday morning, two men broke through a side window and entered their home. One of them had a gun.

“The neighborhood was like normal, and next thing I know all hell’s breaking loose,” said neighbor Diane Austin.

The homeowner woke up and confronted the men, who started shooting. Still he managed to fight them and wrestle the gun away from them.

The homeowners, licensed to carry a concealed weapon, fired their own gun at the suspects, who were trying to escape through the window. One was killed and the other got away.

Neighbor Diane Austin is just relieved her neighbors made it out alive.

“When I finally saw them come out, I (was) just glad they’re alive because they could both be dead over there and they have a little baby, too,” said said.

A motive for the home invasion is not known. Inkster police are investigating.

“It takes a lot of nerve to go in somebody’s house when somebody’s home, and they went in there armed from what I understand. That’s not good. I’m just glad my neighbors are still alive,” Austin said.

There is a $1,000 reward being offered from Crime Stoppers for the arrest of the other suspect. Anyone with information is asked to call 1-800-SPEAK-UP.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Wow, good thing that the family here wasn't hurt. He shot them as they tried to escape? In some states he would be up on charges for that. Hope his state isn't one of them.

Way I see it, they broke in and they fired on him and his family...game on! Try and run if you want, but you broke into your last house.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

They are concealed license holders,but he confronted and then wrestled the gun away from the BG's,then after that they shot at them with their own gun.WTH why didn't they have access to their own firearm and use it instead of putting their lives in further danger trying to disarm an armed man.This is why my handgun is never farther than arm reach away from me and at night my shotty is next to my bed
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    They are concealed license holders,but he confronted and then wrestled the gun away from the BG's,then after that they shot at them with their own gun.WTH why didn't they have access to their own firearm and use it instead of putting their lives in further danger trying to disarm an armed man.This is why my handgun is never farther than arm reach away from me and at night my shotty is next to my bed
    Actually, it really depends on where the armed man/men where when they were discovered by the homeowners, or how they were discovered. If they were soundly sleeping, then it is possible that the intruders where already beside the bed when found, necessitating the physical intervention. The other possibility is that they were awakened by a noise, but weren't sure if they really heard something or not (I know I don't necessarily know what woke me up if I wake up in the middle of the night) and went to see if everything was ok.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    not everyone sleeps with a gun in the crack of their ass...if he was close enough to wrestle a gun away i'm thinkin it was a cozy situation wiout a lot of time....

This scares me because I am a heavy sleeper.... But I have 3 locked doors between me and outsiders... 1 Fire door, 1 solid core door and one hollow core.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Quote Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post
    not everyone sleeps with a gun in the crack of their ass...if he was close enough to wrestle a gun away i'm thinkin it was a cozy situation wiout a lot of time....
    This ^^

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

That could make flatulence downright dangerous.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    hey...some people shoot their mouths off...and others....

More than once as a conversational bullet point, I've commented folk we're discharging rounds as carried by their donkey. : p

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    Wow, good thing that the family here wasn't hurt. He shot them as they tried to escape? In some states he would be up on charges for that. Hope his state isn't one of them.

Way I see it, they broke in and they fired on him and his family...game on! Try and run if you want, but you broke into your last house.
    As I read it I thought about the laws here. In NC you would be brought up on charges for shooting in that situation.
    One of the most dangerous political philosophies afflicting America today is the belief that we can’t allow anyone to suffer the natural consequences of their own stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFreeman View Post
    As I read it I thought about the laws here. In NC you would be brought up on charges for shooting in that situation.
    I doubt it up here. But the natives still control this area.

I prefer sleeping with one within arms reach to having to wrestle it away from someone. Good for them though.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    More than once as a conversational bullet point, I've commented folk we're discharging rounds as carried by their donkey. : p

- Janq
    ^^^^^^^^^^^
    All this witty banter is cracking me up!

I'm glad the homeowner came out okay. A fight for your life in the middle of the night when you're asleep and in your home is probably one of the most horrifying situations a person could be in. Awaken from sleep, unsure of what's going on, and then !Bam! the fights on!

Too bad one got away... Maybe they'll charge him with his buddy's murder when they catch him.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Waking up to a gun fight doesn't make it real easy to see they are trying to escape. If you are armed, in my house, and then shoot at me, you are not "escaping, you are "manuvering". Unless the BG is running down the street how are you to know they are escaping. I think that line may have be the result of liberties taken by the reporter.
    "When war does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the
    scabbard." -General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by TangoMonkey View Post
    Waking up to a gun fight doesn't make it real easy to see they are trying to escape. If you are armed, in my house, and then shoot at me, you are not "escaping, you are "maneuvering". Unless the BG is running down the street how are you to know they are escaping. I think that line may have be the result of liberties taken by the reporter.
    Important note to self...I like this, and it's what should be in the report.(Two dead maneuverers...)
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links