Old Town transient crashes into police cruiser

This is a discussion on Old Town transient crashes into police cruiser within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I hope none of the LEO's on this site never have to deal with this. Old Town transient crashes into police cruiser - Bangor Daily ...

Thread: Old Town transient crashes into police cruiser

Post Old Town transient crashes into police cruiser

I hope none of the LEO's on this site never have to deal with this.

Old Town transient crashes into police cruiser - Bangor Daily News

An Old Town man who “wanted to kill himself” intentionally drove his car head-on into an Old Town police cruiser late Saturday, Old Town police Sgt. Mike Hashey said Tuesday.

Police initially attempted to stop Erick Gilman, 31, listed as a transient, around 10:45 p.m. for speeding on Gilman Falls Avenue, but he refused to stop, the sergeant said.

Gilman turned his 1991 Chevy Lumina onto Brunswick Street, and when he neared Wood Street he saw Officer James Slauenwhite’s cruiser and “basically made a straight line for him, striking him head-on,” Hashey said.

Both Gilman and Slauenwhite were taken to Eastern Maine Medical Center in Bangor after the crash, which demolished the cruiser. The officer suffered minor cuts and bruises and was released from the hospital by 2:30 a.m.

“If you look at the car you wouldn’t believe it,” Hashey said. “The investigation [being done by Orono police] determined he did it intentionally. He wanted to kill himself.”

The on-board camera in Slauenwhite’s cruiser shows intent, he said. The investigation is ongoing, with pending blood alcohol and drug screenings, which means “there may be additional charges,” the sergeant said.

Gilman was released from the hospital around 3:30 a.m. and was taken directly to Penobscot County Jail. He was charged with felony aggravated assault and aggravated criminal mischief, based on the fact he used his vehicle as a weapon, Hashey said.

Gilman also was charged with reckless conduct, driving to endanger and failure to stop for police.

He remained in jail Tuesday night, a jail official said. If convicted of aggravated assault, Gilman faces a penalty of up to 10 years in prison and a fine of up to $20,000.

2. Remove Ads

Should have been charged with attempted murder!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    Should have been charged with attempted murder!
    I agree, with a long, loooooong vacation.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    An Old Town man who “wanted to kill himself” intentionally drove his car head-on into an Old Town police cruiser late Saturday, Old Town police Sgt. Mike Hashey said Tuesday.
    It is bad enough that he wanted to commit suicide but to try to take someone with him is just asinine, here’s hoping he gets the full 10 years. Best of luck to Officer James Slauenwhite and that he recovers fully.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

That cruisers gonna need an oil change It looks a quart low
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Why does this idiot have to try and take others with him >.<?
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

I used to live in Old Town. Looks like things have finally livened up there.

Phhhhhh, why did he run into an LEO? They're just going to try and help him after the crash because for one thing, that's their job. If he wanted to kill himself, he should have walked down the streets of San Fransisco with a sign saying, "I hate spotted owls and I kick my dog whenever I can."
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Links