Incident In CO, Lots Of Lessons To Be Learned

This is a discussion on Incident In CO, Lots Of Lessons To Be Learned within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; We had an incident in CO where a man's trailer was being stolen from his house. The man ended up shooting one of the guys ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Senior Member Array High Altitude's Avatar

We had an incident in CO where a man's trailer was being stolen from his house. The man ended up shooting one of the guys as they drove off. Now he is being tried for 12 felony counts and the two illegal mexicans (with criminal records) who stole the trailer are not being arrested/tried and gearing up for a civil suit when the criminal trial is over.

Here is the report.

http://www.khow.com/cc-common/mlib/6...1278519701.pdf

Please know when it is legal to shoot and when it is not.

Don't speak to the police.

The man is claiming self defense, that they tried to run him over. But he never called the police about the shooting/almost being killed, only that his trailer was being stolen, and only the back window of the truck was damaged from the bullet.

Over all it is a terrible situation where the illegal alien criminals get off free, will win a civil suit and the man, who only wanted to protect his property is most likely going to die in prison (he is 82).

That is why it's important to know the gun laws for self defense in your State
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Over all it is a terrible situation where the illegal alien criminals get off free, will win a civil suit and the man, who only wanted to protect his property is most likely going to die in prison (he is 82).
    This pisses me off most in this... Yes the man should be put on trial for messing up but the criminals should not get off scott free and be allowed to Sue! why do we protect criminals (who are even in our country illegally?!)
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    This pisses me off most in this... Yes the man should be put on trial for messing up but the criminals should not get off scott free and be allowed to Sue! why do we protect criminals (who are even in our country illegally?!)
    Agreed. The shooting wasn't justified, but those guys are still criminals too!
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Sad story, the victim is 81 years old.

So I'm seeing speculation in the comments that the thieves were illegals and they got off the hook but none of that was indicated in the report that was linked in the OP. Is there more to this with additional facts that I'm missing? I did read in the report that both criminals were white with latino type surnames which was weird to me. I agree that they should be tried but I saw no indication that they weren't tried.

Further, ol' Wallace probably shouldn't have lied to the cops in the first place especially after telling his friend/neighbor all about it before hand.

I'm going off the OPs description of the guys. I can't read the report here at work, blocked for some reason.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

so many things wrong in that report, and yes I also see nothing about them being illegal, what I do see is someone shooting fleeing burglars and lying about it to the police and then reaching for a weapon in police presence...dumb dumb and dumb.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

VIP Member
    There is no indication in the police report (linked in the OP) that the thieves were Mexicans, nor that they were illegals. They are described only as "white males." If there is further reporting that indicates their legal status, please link it.

That issue aside, this is a text book example of what NOT to do. Don't shoot at people driving away from you. Don't fail to report that you fired a weapon at someone. Don't lie to the police (repeatedly). Don't "lawyer up" and then go ahead and talk anyway. DON'T SHOOT OVER PROPERTY.

This guy went from (possibly) being out a trailer to (likely) going to prison. His life is screwed even if he does manage to avoid jail time - not exactly how you would want to spend your golden years...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

"Minutes later, police say 32-year-old Damacio Torres dropped 28-year-old Alvaro Cardona off at a hospital emergency room with a gunshot wound to the face...The Jefferson County DA's office said that neither Torres nor Cardona have been charged with anything at this point, even though Torres confessed to the crime. However, the homeowner, Wallace is facing twelve felony counts, including four counts of attempted first degree murder. If convicted, he could spend the rest of his life behind bars.

Sources say Torres and Cardona are believed to be in the country illegally and both have an arrest record. Cardona's record includes public fighting and numerous traffic offenses like driving without a license or insurance. Torres's record includes agricultural trespassing as well as a 2005 arrest for aggravated motor vehicle theft for which he was given a plea bargain to a lesser crime. Sources say Torres is also under investigation for being part of a major auto theft ring."

Thieves could go free while victim faces jail time - KDVR

Sounds bad for the old man. There may be states where it is legal to shoot at someone getting away, but there aren't many. I took my 12 year old daughter shooting for the first time today, and we talked about when it is legal to shoot or not.

There is a video here on NOT talking to the police (YouTube - Dont Talk to Police). While I would love it if we could just tell the truth and everyone worked towards the right, the lawyer makes a good case for shutting up until you have talked with your lawyer. And being silent SURE beats the heck out of lying!

I have a feeling he wont be convicted if there is a jury trial. The mood around here is they are tired of these type people stealing and other crimes and getting away with it. Glad the dirt bag got shot.
    Semper Fi

Had this happened in Texas the out come would be different because the Texas laws are different.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    That is why it's important to know the gun laws for self defense in your State
    It is also important that if you are going to shoot, you make your shots count.
    "When war does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the
    scabbard." -General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

AzB
    What grates my cheese is that these illegals can sue him in a civil court. But when I had an illegal with no insurance rear end me, I couldn't sue him in an American court because he was not a citizen.
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    Shooting someone over property is something I would never do. Even in a case where I have a clear "right" to shoot, who needs the legal hassle unless your life or the lives of your loved ones are at stake?
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links