Man shoots dog who attacked delivery man

This is a discussion on Man shoots dog who attacked delivery man within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; California: Man shoots neighbor’s dog after it lunges at delivery man in Lompico Man shoots neighbor's dog after it lunges at delivery man in Lompico ...

Thread: Man shoots dog who attacked delivery man

California: Man shoots neighbor’s dog after it lunges at delivery man in Lompico

Man shoots neighbor's dog after it lunges at delivery man in Lompico - San Jose Mercury News

LOMPICO - A man shot and killed one of his neighbor's loose Rottweilers after the dog tried to attack a delivery man in the rural, mountainous neighborhood Tuesday afternoon, authorities reported.

The propane truck driver drove down Knoll Way around 1:20 p.m. and stopped at the man's house to check the meter. As he walked back to his truck, the two dogs came at him. He jumped into the cab of his truck - yelling - and barely escaped injury, according to Lynn Miller, interim director of county Animal Services.

The commotion caught the attention of the man who lives in the house. He ran outside with his pistol to help the propane truck driver but the dogs rushed at him, Miller said.

"The owner (of the home) came out thinking something was wrong," Miller said. "He didn't have an opportunity to get back in the house."

He fired two shots from a pistol at the dogs when they were about 4 feet from him. An unaltered female was hit and died; the second dog ran home, authorities said.

"He was out trying to help out the propane truck driver," sheriff's deputy Patrick Dimick said. "We wouldn't prefer people to do it but sometimes people have to."

No people were hurt by the gunfire or the dogs.

The dogs belong to the family across the street from the man who shot them. They got out of the yard through an unlatched gate, according to Dimick. The area is a wooded residential area not far from the entrance to Loch Lomond Reservoir in
    Advertisement
    Lompico.

The man who fired shots called 911 after the incident and waited for law enforcement to arrive. He was not arrested, Dimick said.

"Everything seemed to be appropriate. It was self defense," Miller said, adding, "the people who owned the dog were very distressed."

Dimick also said the incident was unfortunate.

"Everyone involved felt terrible," he said.

Animal Services officers had been to that house twice in the past because of loose, aggressive dogs and had made recommendations about preventing the dogs from roaming the neighborhood, according to Miller. He noted that there hadn't been past reports of attacks and that officers haven't been called back since September.

The dog's owners will not be cited, but Miller said Animal Services officers asked the family to install in a spring-loaded gate that self-latches so the surviving dog won't accidentally be let out of the yard.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Congrats to the shooter. He did the right thing and didn't wait to be bitten. Oh well, that's what happens when you let your aggressive dogs out to terrorize the neighborhood. No pity from me.

I have said before I believe your chances of being attacked by a dog are far greater than human.

Animal control is another useless waste of tax payer money.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    Congrats to the shooter. He did the right thing and didn't wait to be bitten. Oh well, that's what happens when you let your aggressive dogs out to terrorize the neighborhood. No pity from me.

I have said before I believe your chances of being attacked by a dog are far greater than human.

+1

Having been attacked by a dog I know you are correct!
    I do everything the voices in my wife's head tell me to do!

Impossible is not a word. It's just a reason for someone not to try!

Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    Amen! Our a/c couldn't even catch a loose puppy that was harrassing everyone at the park one day......I sure wouldn't count on their help with a serious situation!

Sponsored Links