Fair to Good: Person shoots, kills 29-year-old who threatened him

This is a discussion on Fair to Good: Person shoots, kills 29-year-old who threatened him within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Starts badly as there was first an altercation at a tavern. (Don't go to stupid places with stupid people) BG with a knife got thrown ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fair to Good: Person shoots, kills 29-year-old who threatened him

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

Starts badly as there was first an altercation at a tavern. (Don't go to stupid places with stupid people) BG with a knife got thrown out, GG came out later and was assaulted, got his car gun and ended the fight.

Person shoots, kills 29-year-old who threatened him

by Brian Farrell
    13NEWS / WVEC.com
    Posted on July 10, 2010 at 1:38 AM
    Updated today at 1:45 PM

NEWPORT NEWS -- A 27-year-old tells police he was trying to protect himself from the threatening advance of a person he shot Friday night.
    Newport News officers say 29-year-old Greg Arsenault of the first block of Tally Ho Drive in Hampton died a short time after the shooting which happened in a parking lot at Sentara Port Warwick (Note: Urgent Care Center).
    The 27-year-old tells police Arsenault started a fight with him inside nearby Kelly's Tavern. The 27-year-old says Arsenault had a knife and that management kicked Arsenault out of the restaurant .
    Witnesses describe Arsenault quickly going after the 27-year-old at his car a short time later. The 27-year-old got a gun out of his car and told Arsenault to stop. Arsenault, supposedly, did not listen, and the 27-year-old shot him several times.
    Police tell 13News several witnesses confirm all or part of the 27-year-old's story. Officers took two knives from Arsenault at Riverside Regional Medical Center where paramedics took him after the shooting.
    Police released the 27-year-old, and the Commonwealth's Attorney will review the case.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Yep, another perp brought a knife to a gun fight and lost.

Lol...was the 27 yr old within his rights??...think he'll be charged with manslaughter?
    Guns don't kill people, People kill people!

Sounds like Arsenault was lying in wait for the 27 year old intending to do him harm. Premeditation coupled with poor choice of weapon = one less bad guy.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Somebody coming at you with a knife, bang!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member

More

Police: Fight escalates into fatal shooting in Newport News | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

Police: Fight escalates into fatal shooting in Newport News

By David Putney
    The Virginian-Pilot
    July 10, 2010
    NEWPORT NEWS

An argument that began in a bar escalated into a shooting in the street outside, leaving a 29-year-old Hampton man dead, police said.

After being called at about 11:45 p.m Friday to the 3100 block of William Styron Square, police found Greg Arsenault suffering from a gunshot wound, officer Harold Eley of the Newport News police said. Arsenault, of the 1 block of Tally Ho Drive in Hampton, was taken to Riverside Regional Medical Center in Newport News where he was pronounced dead, Eley said.

The suspect, 27, told police that Arsenault had acted aggressively toward him earlier at Kelly's Tavern, in the 1000 block of Loftis Boulevard, and was seen carrying a knife. Arsenault was ejected from the bar, the suspect told police.

Arsenault was then seen by witnesses rapidly approaching the suspect at his car outside the bar, police said. The suspect got a handgun from his car and ordered Arsenault to stop. The suspect fired several times when Arsenault did not, police said.

After the shooting, the suspect fled the scene on foot but was quickly apprehended by police. Two knives were recovered from the victim at the hospital, police said.

Witnesses have corroborated the suspect's account, police said, and suspect in the case has not been charged and was released, pending a decision by the commonwealth's attorney. He has not been identified.
    Suspect vs. victim??

Anti-gun paper
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Old saying,never take a knife to a gun fight.Wonder what type of chemicals was in him?]
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Senior Moderator
    Sounds like a good shoot to me, the perp was looking for trouble in the bar, got thrown out, and then proceeded to look for trouble outside, and he found it...permanent trouble.
    I doubt that the shooter will face any charges.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

Then I'm in agreance with the outcome lol
    Guns don't kill people, People kill people!

That second article has me spitting mad! The victim was the one who defended himself against a violent assault. The dead man was no victim, he is a dead aggressor.

There is no excuse, no ambiguity to seize upon to justify their knee-jerk "gun=bad" response. Witness statements confirmed the victim's statement in whole or part and there is no mention of contradictory testimony.

Ryan
    Those who will not govern their own behavior are slaves waiting for a master; one will surely find them.

Credit for the second article goes to David Putney.

Newsroom Staff: David Putney
    Home Newsroom Staff Online Production Team
    Online producer and designer
    Office phone: 757-446-2267
    Email: david.putney@pilotonline.com
    David Putney is an online producer for PilotOnline.com. His job is to update the site with breaking news, create content, design sites and work with editors.

In his time here at The Virginian-Pilot, he has worked as a page designer and design director for Link.

Perhaps we should educate him as the difference between Victim vs Suspect when it comes to defending your life.

Surely he must be under some dillusion that the victim should have dialed 911 and waited for the LEO's to save him from harm.

After all guns, are more evil than a sharp knife. Yea right!
    What have you done to prepare for the end of civilization as we know it?

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    One of the user comments on wavy tv's facebook said she was there and the shooter ran away too. Prob BS but flight = guilt in many courts. Hope it wasn't a feud and the guy found an opportunity to finalize it. Still the cops don't usually kick a suspect loose unless they're pretty confidant it was a good shoot. BTW some are wondering why he just didn't get in his car and drive away.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

If I have time to react to a knife attack by getting my car door open so as to reach into a secured compartment (glovebox) to grab hold of my gun and then have time to turn and exit my car (as reaching across the seat) so as to tell a person to "Stop! Don't do that!" and then after that actually shoot...

...Then I've got even more time to get my body fully in the car, close the door behind me and _LOCK IT_, and to insert my key into the ignition so as to activate my 2K+ and 200+HP car to simply drive away, and avoid shooting anyone period and with that avoid a court case.

Just sayin'.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

IANAL but it may be pointed out that he was able to get into his car to retrieve his car gun and "therefore could have just driven away and/or called police..."? Personally though, I would not have had to get in the car to "retrieve" mine.
    Keep your booger hook off the bang switch.
    It's faster to dial 3-5-7 than it is to dial 9-1-1.
    I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

...Then I've got even more time to get my body fully in the car
    You've been 10-for-10 lately, Janq, and this one is no exception.

What I find worth noting here is that there are two schools of thought to understand about this case. The typical CCW owner will view this as a righteous shoot. "Fool brought a knife to a gunfight!" etc.

The typical newspaper reader who is not a firearms carrier, will see two drunk men having an altercation at a bar, and an argument that ends with one man shot dead. These are the kinds of things that do not help the cause.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links