Shooting in Newport News

This is a discussion on Shooting in Newport News within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Here is an article from The Daily Press about a shooting that took place outside of a local resturant/pub. To me it sounds like a ...

Thread: Shooting in Newport News

Shooting in Newport News

Here is an article from The Daily Press about a shooting that took place outside of a local resturant/pub. To me it sounds like a good shot. Follow the link and check out the comments section to read the shooters side. I went ahead and posted his comment. I dont know about you but I would not have posted a comment to defend myself to a bunch of idiots who were not there and dont have a clue.

Hampton Port Warwick shooting homicide - dailypress.com

NEWPORT NEWS The man who shot a Hampton man after an argument in a Port Warwick restaurant Friday is telling investigators that he fired his weapon in self-defense, police say.

Greg K. Arsenault, 29, of Tally Ho Drive in Hampton, died of a gunshot wound around 12:10 a.m. Saturday at Riverside Regional Medical Center, said Officer Harold Eley, spokesman for the Newport News Police Department.

Arsenault and the suspect a 27-year-old Newport News man whose name has not been released were allegedly involved in a dispute earlier in the evening inside Kelly's Tavern at 1010 Loftis Blvd., said Eley. Several witnesses reported seeing Arsenault, who was kicked out of the restaurant by management for creating a disturbance, armed with a knife while inside the eatery, police said.

According to police, Arsenault allegedly approached the suspect as he was getting into his car parked in the Sentara Emergency Center's parking lot across from the restaurant. The suspect told police that he pulled a gun from his vehicle and told Arsenault to stop, Eley said.

The suspect and several witnesses told police that the suspect fired the gun several times when Arsenault continued walking toward him, Eley said.

Police recovered two knives from Arsenault at the hospital, Eley said.

Police interviewed and released the suspect, who initially fled the scene on foot before police picked him up at a nearby apartment complex, early Saturday, Eley said. The findings from the police investigation will be turned over to the Newport News Commonwealth's Attorney's Office to determine whether charges will be filed, Eley said.

"We don't have information to bring charges at this time," said Eley.

Police are still investigating and looking for any additional witnesses, including any restaurant patrons who might have seen the argument that took place inside the restaurant earlier in the night, he said.

There have been few - if any - reports of violent crimes in Port Warwick, an upscale mixed-use development off Jefferson Avenue, Eley said. Despite the shooting, residents and business owners say they still feel secure in their community, a trendy mix of apartments, offices, restaurants and specialty shops.

"I'm concerned. I live and work right here in this neighborhood," said Flo-Ann Weaver, who manages two Port Warwick restaurants, Fin and Schlesingers. "It's upsetting, and I'm sorry someone died.

"But I feel a little more comfortable knowing that it wasn't something random, that someone didn't just come in here and randomly fire shots."

Roth House apartment resident Michael Martin, out walking his dog Saturday, said the incident doesn't make him feel any less safe.

Efforts to reach Arsenault's family Saturday were unsuccessful.

Anyone with information or who witnessed events leading up to Friday's shooting in Port Warwick is asked to call the Crime Line at 1-888-LOCK-U-UP.

Shooters Side from the Comments Section....
    therealvictum at 10:25 AM July 11, 2010
    lets clear this up.. i did not know him we were not in a fight i was not in the car i have 2 kids the man was charging me i pointed and cocked a gun and gave him warning he kept charging and told me to shot bit**. he must have been on some hardcore drug.(or tryin to commit suicide) not my call.if i didnt do what i did the headlines would have read father of two stabbed to death and he still wouldnt be with his kids. so far no news has said the true story in whole. i feel like sh^^ but i feel better im alive. i had all the right to do what i did. a cop or any other person in my place woulda done the same thing. if u cared about this criminal so much maybe u would kept him home and kellys wasnt the first bar he was kicked out of this night. not to mention he came back. of course i wish i didnt have to do this. look what i gotta deal with. to all the people that under stand im a 27 year old victum thanks. oh yea and the police didnt catch me i ran to one and flagged her down and said i just shot a man tryin to kill me. get it right NEWS.. i was scared what do u people want im a law abiding citizen. i did what i had to and thats the facts

2. Remove Ads

Sorry, Search was not my friend....

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Why did the suspect fled the scene. Doesn't he know that flight equals guilt? He should know better. It's unfortunate that some CHP holders do not research VA use of force laws and are not aware of what to do in a self-defense shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Storm View Post
    Why did the suspect fled the scene. Doesn't he know that flight equals guilt? He should know better. It's unfortunate that some CHP holders do not research VA use of force laws and are not aware of what to do in a self-defense shooting.
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowSSls1 View Post
    Shooters Side from the Comments Section....
    therealvictum at 10:25 AM July 11, 2010
    lets clear this up.. i did not know him we were not in a fight i was not in the car i have 2 kids the man was charging me i pointed and cocked a gun and gave him warning he kept charging and told me to shot bit**. he must have been on some hardcore drug.(or tryin to commit suicide) not my call.if i didnt do what i did the headlines would have read father of two stabbed to death and he still wouldnt be with his kids. so far no news has said the true story in whole. i feel like sh^^ but i feel better im alive. i had all the right to do what i did. a cop or any other person in my place woulda done the same thing. if u cared about this criminal so much maybe u would kept him home and kellys wasnt the first bar he was kicked out of this night. not to mention he came back. of course i wish i didnt have to do this. look what i gotta deal with. to all the people that under stand im a 27 year old victum thanks. oh yea and the police didnt catch me i ran to one and flagged her down and said i just shot a man tryin to kill me. get it right NEWS.. i was scared what do u people want im a law abiding citizen. i did what i had to and thats the facts
    Shooter left his side of the story in the comments section. I am not in the least surprised that the newspaper didn't get his side of the story.

Links