Bad: SUMMERLIN COSTCO STORE: Slaying of Army veteran shocks friends

This is a discussion on Bad: SUMMERLIN COSTCO STORE: Slaying of Army veteran shocks friends within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Man shot by police was West Point grad By LAWRENCE MOWER (LAS VEGAS REVIEW-JOURNAL ) The man shot by police outside a Summerlin Costco store ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bad: SUMMERLIN COSTCO STORE: Slaying of Army veteran shocks friends

Man shot by police was West Point grad

By LAWRENCE MOWER (LAS VEGAS REVIEW-JOURNAL )

The man shot by police outside a Summerlin Costco store on Saturday was a graduate of the U.S. Military Academy at West Point with a master's degree from Duke University, friends said.

Army veteran Erik Scott, 39, was at the store near Charleston Boulevard and the Las Vegas Beltway with his girlfriend before three officers fatally shot him in a confrontation.

Friends and an attorney speaking on behalf of Scott's relatives, described him as a good man from a military family. His father was in the Air Force, and his grandfather fought in World War II, friend Mike Pusateri said.

"The most loyal, honest, trustworthy, salt-of-the-earth guy you could meet," said Pusateri, 38. "You only meet one or two of those kinds of guys in your life, and Erik is one of them."

Scott worked for Boston Scientific, a medical devices manufacturer, as a sales representative for the company's pacemakers. Attorney Ross Goodman, who represents Scott's family, said Scott was one of the company's top sales employees.

Pusateri and Goodman said Scott and his girlfriend were at the Costco because they were moving in together and wanted to buy the things they needed. The two men declined to discuss the events that led to the shooting.

According to Las Vegas police, officers were called to 801 S. Pavilion Center Drive at 12:47 p.m. by a store worker who said a man was destroying merchandise. Police were told the man had a gun.

Capt. Patrick Neville described Scott as "kind of going berserk." Workers evacuated the store. Officers stopped Scott outside as the customers were leaving.

Neville said an officer tapped the man on the shoulder and identified himself as police. Scott then spun around and reached for a gun, law enforcement officials said.

"They ordered him to the ground," Neville said of the officers on Saturday. "He does not comply with that order. He reaches for the weapon, pulls the weapon out, at which time, the weapon was out of the waistband."

Three officers fired multiple times, killing Scott.

SUMMERLIN COSTCO STORE: Slaying of Army veteran shocks friends - News - ReviewJournal.com
    Samwolf

"One of the ordinary modes, by which tyrants accomplish their purposes without resistance, is, by disarming the people, and making it an offense to keep arms."

-- Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840

I will reserve comment until the facts come out. I am reading conflicting witness, police, and store employee accounts all over the net. Costco has cameras, I want the truth before I make judgement.

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    I will reserve comment until the facts come out. I am reading conflicting witness, police, and store employee accounts all over the net. Costco has cameras, I want the truth before I make judgement.
    Yeah, my thoughts exactly. I wonder if this one will ever be sorted out.
    Samwolf

"One of the ordinary modes, by which tyrants accomplish their purposes without resistance, is, by disarming the people, and making it an offense to keep arms."

-- Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840

In these situations the cameras are very nice to have beings there's so many conflicting stories. It's really hard to believe that all three officers fired at the same time if they didn't see just cause. I'm wondering if he was simply showing the officers that he was armed and it looked to them like he was going for a gun? A story to follow for sure.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

So employees are saying he was destroying stuff in the store. His friends that say he is such a wonderful guy wont comment on what was going on in the store before the shooting. And we have conflicting police/witness statements.
    Yeah........ Lets go to the video tape on this one.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

VIP Member
    So many conflicting accounts this one bears watching. Please keep us updated as they sort things out.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Sounds to me like the cops shot way too fast. Without seeing the footage its their word vs the word of several witnesses who all agree with each other so far. They have no reason to collaborate with a made up version, but the cops do. They probably got a "man with a gun" call from someone who saw it printing or something and overreacted. Sad and avoidable anyway you cut it.

Need to keep a eye on this for sure.
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Wonderful guys don't cause store staff/managers to call the cops on them at ll, muchless for destroying store product.

Everybody says everyone is wonderful, including the neighbors of that guy they caught Friday who serial raped women for decades.

Generally police do not respond to stores for no good reason muchless to call for an evacuation of them.
    To this end alone as being a matter of reported fact it does not look good.

I don't want to hear from friends as they were not there.
    Nor do I want to hear from a 'witness' who was at the exit 20' away and not actually in the store never mind not around to see the person as shot acting out prior to the cops arriving.
    And I don't want to hear from witnesses who were cattle running for the doors, Disney land style, who claim they heard/saw something or other...Especially when it is is well known and scientifically established that visual witnesses are some of the poorest manner of reporting there is going. Unreliable to say the least.

I want to hear from the GF he was at the store with.
    I want to hear from the store employees who made the decision to dial 911, and that is not the receipt checker at the entry/exit.
    I want to see the store tapes of his behavior prior to police arrival.
    And I want to hear from the cops as to his actions (furtive) and demeanor at time of contact.

That his dad was in the military at some time prior as well as his granddad means nothing at all. I bet they ate food with forks and drove Ford or Chevy too. Meaningless story filler. Everybody went to school and works somewhere and has a relative who fought in some war.
    Cops talk to these type people every day, about laws and enforcement.

I want facts...Just facts, as relevant to the incident in specific.
    Not about his car accident from five days ago while delivering product he'd sold at a profit to a buyer with desire.

- Janq

P.S. - And that he was armed with not just one but two guns AND was a CPL/CCL holder will be emphasized in future news accounts as to the negative. You watch.
    As well make note that if your relative or buddy gets arrested or shot over a gun related charge, don't go off at the mouth spouting about how said person is/was a "safety freak" around guns. All that people will hear and remember is the 'freak' part and that this is related to guns.
    Just say the person is/was a careful and mindful gun owner and enthusiast/sportsman/hunter/student/instructor or what have you.
    The term 'freak' is not typically viewed by Joe & Jane Average-Person as being positive adjective, especially not when it comes to cops having shot said person while carrying guns on his person upon 'destroying property' at retail stores. : |
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I have to say the Las Vegas Metro PD are very quick to shoot. Since living here there have been quite a few shootings that were very questionable. One they shot a guy handcuffed and running away. I completly support LEO's but it does get a little like the wild west here. With the past history here it will be quite a while before the videos see the light of day.

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    I completely concur with what everyone has said except for Back 40 and that is only b/c I wasn't aware of how gun happy Las Vegas PD is - not that I'm doubting or disputing his claims - only that I was not aware, etc.

I especially like what Janq has stated thus far. It is important to get the gist of what really happened and not be focused on faulty witness reports, etc. I also agree that everyone has a job somewhere and has went to school somewhere and has relatives that were in some war somewhere, etc. The only thing that is swaying me a bit on this one is that Scott's background shows or illustrates that he wasn't some street hood and given his back ground - the whole event leaves room for doubt as to what really happened. It is true that people with degrees from well accredited schools and hold down good jobs do go out and commit crimes - it's just not as likely.

The lack of pertinent information is very troubling and makes an accurate assessment impossible. With that being said, I'm sure there will be people that will focus on him being a concealed carrier and use this as a case study in their rebukes pertaining to concealed carriers/right to bear arms, etc.

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    Back 40 is unfortunately correct. I have a great deal of respect for those in Law Enforcement, and I'm sure that the majority are fine officers. But, there are a lot of cowboys on Metro. Several years ago, a young black male carrying a basketball was shot 17 times by a Metro officer, and he was unarmed. The story about the officer shooting a handcuffed suspect is true, and occurred in 2006. They are very quick to shoot, not a problem to me if someone is trying to harm them, but that definitely has not always been the case. I agree that we need more facts before we can form an intelligent opinion, and I will be looking forward to hopefully hearing what actually happened. Given the man's background, I'm really interested in exactly what merchandise was being destroyed, and how. What caused this man to act this way. Did he reach for or wave his gun- and if he had, the gun should have been on the ground. This is going to be interesting.
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" J. Buffett

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Someone is lying. Time will likely tell who. I bet Costco got much of this on video...
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

The first witness already had made his purchases and was waiting in line for a worker to check his receipt when he saw an officer enter the store. The officer whispered something to the worker checking the receipts. The first witness then heard that employee turn to another employee and say, "He said we should let him through."
    All four witnesses said they were within 20 feet of the store's main entrance. They said Scott walked out of the entrance with the crowd.
    turn toward the shouting officer. Then he saw the man get shot, drop to his knees and fall face-first in front of the entrance.
    "There wasn't even time for someone to react," the second witness said. "The guy didn't pull a gun. There was no gun in his hand, there was no gun on the ground."
    Destroying merchandise can be considered opening a box to inspect the contents then deciding you dont really want it. If the management doesnt like that they can talk to you in person. If he was maliciously destroying stuff, fine, call the cops. One report claims he was ripping stuff up AND had a gun in his belt. Sounds like it was more a call of "man with a gun" than merchandise. It doesn't sound like that to me though. His background shows he was squeaky clean. Unlikely to flip out for no reason, especially considering the reason given by his GF. Most guys would be on top of the world and be all smiles.
    The bolded passages above indicate to me that A) The cops pretty much set up an ambush for him outside the exit. The door checker people were told to let him though without incident. B) It also reports he exited with the crowd. He wasn't running away, just chilling and minding his own business. At this time its probably he didn't even know the cops were there. C)He had to turn to face the shouting officer. He didn't see him, and didn't know who he was.
    Add that all up and you have a military trained guy being surprised by an ambush and telling him to hit the dirt. He knows (presumably) he is clean and the cops <i>shouldnt</i>have a reason to bother him. Like most of us here, in that situation he assumes it is a violent attack and responds according to his training and gets shot before he even draws, although another report is claiming he did draw and aim at an officer. I don't believe that, it also says that all witnesses reports corroborated with the cops. Any wagers on if he was shot in the back?

this is all conjecture now. we really need to see the video tape. I worked with a lot of military academy guys and they are known to be stable, calm dudes under stress. this guy is also a medtronic rep; many medical devices rep are ex military hired for their work ethic, leadership experience, good people skills, etc - generally, good people. I don't think the victim of this shooting would be the jumpy type.

I can't condemn the cops as I was not there nor see what their perceive threat is. there seems to be certain depts in the country that have a rep for shooting first and asking questions later.

I am pissed at costco though. It seems that the employees overreacted, probably reported that the vic is going "nuts" and is carrying a gun. Of course, the LEOs are going to in with this intel in their minds.

this is definitely worth following. Erik Scott, RIP. what a tragedy for his family.
    "embrace the suck" - our warriors in the sandbox... it implies that do the best you can in impossible conditions.
    "no plan survives intact upon contact with the enemy" - wisdom of the Grunts.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links