Guy shot and killed 2 blocks from my house

This is a discussion on Guy shot and killed 2 blocks from my house within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Shot about 2 blocks from our house, tried to drive to the hospital, found slumped in his car 1 block from the hospital, died later ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guy shot and killed 2 blocks from my house

Shot about 2 blocks from our house, tried to drive to the hospital, found slumped in his car 1 block from the hospital, died later at the hospital.

And we live in a "good" neighborhood.

Both my wife and I drive through that intersection numerous times daily.

I'll make sure the wife hears about this since she thinks all my defensive preparations are total folly and a waste of time.

Not that it'll matter: crime always happens to others, right?

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/s...27992bc8b.html

St. Charles police seek "persons of interest" in fatal shooting
    Posted: Wednesday, July 14, 2010 9:50 am | (27) Comments

..ST. CHARLES -- Major Case Squad detectives Wednesday were looking for more than one suspect in the fatal shooting of a Wentzville man Tuesday night.

Police found the victim, Daniel C. Brennan, 23, of the 100 block of Marshall Drive, about 11:20 p.m. in his PT Cruiser on Cave Springs Road near a Denny’s restaurant.

The car’s transmission was in park and Brennan was alone inside with a gunshot wound to his shoulder. He was pronounced dead at a nearby hospital about three hours later. St. Charles Lt. Mike Akers said Brennan drifted in and out consciousness and talked to police but could provide few details about the shooting.

Police described the shooting as an “isolated incident” but wouldn’t say more about its circumstances.

Brennan’s mother, Diane, said detectives told her he was shot during an apparent robbery at the Trails of Sunbrook apartment complex on Cave Springs Road.

She had spoken to him about 10 p.m. as he was leaving work and thought he had gone to the apartment complex for a party.

She said she told him she had a pizza waiting for him, and he replied “I love you, mom,” before hanging up.

Brennan was a 2005 Timberland High School graduate and a shift manager at a Qdoba Mexican Grill in Wentzville, where he had worked since September 2007. His manager, Bart Weinstein, 48, said he promoted Brennan from line cook to manager because of his strong work ethic and rapport with customers.

“He treated everyone like a relative,” Weinstein said.

His mother said he had a passion for helicopters and had attended classes to become a pilot. He had also taken community college classes. She said he also enjoyed camping and playing golf.

He lived at home and had recently purchased and renovated a foreclosed home in Wright City, where he was planning to move in about a week. He was not married but had a serious girlfriend.

“On Monday, he was there cutting the grass and sitting out there daydreaming about his new life,” Diane Brennan said. “But he told me, ‘After I move out, I’ll still come home for dinner.’ ”

Anyone with information on the case is asked call the Major Case Squad at 636-949-3564 or the anonymous CrimeStoppers hotline at 636-949-3333.

The woman makes the house beautiful, the man makes it safe. I hope the wifey comes around :-)

It's the random appearing crimes that concern me most. I do a lot of things to keep away from some of the junk. But random can find you anywhere.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Okay Grady,you been at my house all week,we went to the South Padre Islands on the day in Question,so you could work on your tan.The rest of the time we spent down by the border watching the annual migration of Illegals
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Okay Grady,you been at my house all week,we went to the South Padre Islands on the day in Question,so you could work on your tan.The rest of the time we spent down by the border watching the annual migration of Illegals
    Funny Duk!

Grady- I hope this opens her eyes at least a little.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

duk is a TRUE friend!

Hope it's not a trend starting in your neighborhood there grady!
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Quote Originally Posted by mprp View Post
    Hope it's not a trend starting in your neighborhood there grady!
    Well, it was at some apartments, late at night, looking for a party. Not saying any of those are wrong, but the odds increase when those are involved and combined.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post

Yeh, yeh thas right! That's exactly what we did!

That hits close to home, Grady. It's a sobering thought. My wife used the "good neighborhood" line on me once...to which I replied, "well if you were a criminal would you break into a slum apartment or a $300K house in a nice neighborhood?" I actually witnessed the "light" coming on. Over a short period of time she came to understand my motives, appreciate my OCD safety measures, and support my decisions. She's still not about to have anything to do with a firearm herself, but that's her choice. If she's not comfortable with it for herself, then it's not right for her. She knows I will be glad to teach her if she ever changes her mind.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Scary stuff. It can happen to anyone, anytime, anywhere
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

It's just another example of people who don't want to work hard to make a decent life for themselves trying to take what they want from people that do work hard to fulfill their dreams
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

UPDATE:

Two men arrested.

Police say the shooter is a 15-year-old, who is still being sought.

The three set up the victim by saying they were arranging a drug buy for him, but apparently they intended to rob him from the beginning.

The evening news stated they all knew each other.

The same gun was used in another shooting last week a few miles to the west.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/s...27992bc8b.html

Two men charged, one teen sought in St. Charles murder
    Posted: Monday, July 19, 2010 2:49 pm | (35) Comments

..ST. CHARLES • Prosecutors on Monday charged two men with murdering a Wentzville man last week as detectives continue searching for a 15-year-old boy police say pulled the trigger.

Police said Monday that two men and the teen murdered Daniel Brennan, 23, during a ploy to sell him heroin at an apartment complex in St. Charles.

Harvion L. Cameron, 20, of the 700 block of South Fifth Street in St. Charles, and Jeffery D. Lottie, 22, of the 300 block of Oakborough Drive near Lake Saint Louis, are charged with second-degree murder, attempted robbery and two counts of armed criminal action.

Brennan was found shot about 11:20 p.m. July 13 in his PT Cruiser on Cave Springs Road near a Denny’s restaurant.

Cameron arranged a meeting with Brennan to sell him heroin at the Trails of Sunbrook apartment complex about 10:45 p.m., police said.

After Brennan arrived, Lottie and the teen got into the car while Cameron went into a nearby apartment, police said. As they drove a short way around the complex, the teen pulled a handgun and demanded Brennan’s money, police said. When Brennan leaned forward to reach for something, the teen shot him in the back. Police don’t know what Brennan was reaching for.

"When the victim made a move, he’s (the shooter) not sure what he was doing ... He shot him in the back," said Capt. Tim Lowery, deputy commander of the Major Case Squad.

After the shooting, Lottie, Cameron and the teen ran to a nearby Motel 6 as Brennan drove away and stopped on Cave Springs.

Police said officers arrested Cameron shortly after the shooting and picked up Lottie in Peoria, Ill., where he had acquaintances. Lottie admitted to police to using the same handgun in a July 11 shooting in Wentzville, police said. In that case, police said Lottie shot a man in the buttocks outside the Palomino Nights bar after it closed.

Cameron was charged Friday with robbery, armed criminal action and burglary in a May 11 home invasion in St. Charles County.

Cameron and Lottie were being held Monday in lieu of $1 million cash-only bail.

Police are pursuing several leads to find the 15-year-old suspect.

Brennan, a manager of a Qdoba restaurant in Wentzville, was buried Monday, said his mother Diane Brennan. She said even when police find the 15-year-old shooter it won’t bring her much relief.

"It doesn’t matter to me if they get him or not because I can’t get my son back," she said. "It breaks my heart that he’s gone."

I knew this would be the situation.
    I scroll down to read the updates before posting and boom...There you go, drug buy gone bad.

This is typical and every day, everywhere.

- Janq

"Well, it was at some apartments, late at night, looking for a party. Not saying any of those are wrong, but the odds increase when those are involved and combined." - Grady
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

to which I replied, "well if you were a criminal would you break into a slum apartment or a $300K house in a nice neighborhood?"
    Statistically, the criminal works his own neighborhood, where he fits in. Crime patterns in my city adhere to this principle. Notice which neighborhoods tend to have homes and shops with bars on the windows. There are logical reasons for this. For example, in my subdivision, everybody knows everybody. Strange cars stand out. Strangers attract attention. There are retired people and children constantly out and in the street. It's a burglar's nightmare.

In Grady's case, the BG was an import on a drug buy. Victim self-selected.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

as long as criminals are taking each other out...
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    I'll make sure the wife hears about this since she thinks all my defensive preparations are total folly and a waste of time.
    It only seems that way, since nothing has happened to y'all yet. But that cannot be considered a valid gauge of success, since crime can happen anytime, anywhere, to anyone.

IMO ...

The stinging part of it all is that your wife's resistance to accepting the need for security detracts from your family's ability to be secure. Like it or not, if her head isn't into it, at least to a reasonable degree, her head is elsewhere. Criminals ARE going to pick up on this at some point. SHE will become a target simply because she's projecting a target's "victim" disposition. Unless she begins to see it differently, she'll not be able to stop appearing this way to onlooking criminals who are looking for an easy mark. Caution.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links