Good: Homeowner scares off home invaders dressed in FBI gear

This is a discussion on Good: Homeowner scares off home invaders dressed in FBI gear within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Out of Miami. http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local-b...-98426169.html I saw the video on Fox just now. Home invaders dressed as cops is a worst-case scenario in my book- not ...

Thread: Good: Homeowner scares off home invaders dressed in FBI gear

Out of Miami.
    http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local-b...-98426169.html

I saw the video on Fox just now. Home invaders dressed as cops is a worst-case scenario in my book- not many outcomes will be good.
    ---

In a not so funny version of the Three Stooges, three would-be thieves were sent running from the scene of their poorly planned heist by a homeowner who was locked and loaded.

The incident happened just after 4 a.m. on July 12, when the three suspects, dressed in unofficial FBI garb, pulled up to a Cooper City home in the 5000 block of SW 104 Avenue.

While FBI lettered T-shirts, baseball caps, fake badges and dark fabric masks may have seemed fool-proof, the home owner, Malcolm Jose Pena, 35, was unconvinced.

Surveillance cameras captured the scene as the three bandits pulled up in a silver Mercedes Benz SUV, two men approached the home and one stayed back on lookout.

"All I remember was at the time, my husband yelled out for me and I'm still half-asleep and he tells me to call the cops," said a female resident in the home, who didn't want to be identified. "He asked who it was and they said 'FBI, open up.'"

The masked FBI impostors began prying the front door open with a crowbar until Pena interrupted with a bullet from his .40 caliber Smith & Wesson pistol.

"I'm watching everything from my room taking place in front of my house," said the woman. "I was really violated, and I'm really terrified for all the families. It truly can happen to anybody."

After Pena’s bullet broke through the front window, the flustered impostors fled to their SUV and high tailed it away from the scene empty-handed.

Their mad dash to flee the scene -- reminiscent of Moe, Larry and Curly -- led the BSO to dub them the "Three Stooges."

But in an odd twist, Pena was arrested the same day of the attempted break-in for possession of Ecstasy. Authorities are investigating whether there is a connection.

The Broward Sheriff’s office is trying to identify the three men, who are still at-large. Anyone with info is asked to call Broward CrimeStoppers at 954-493-TIPS.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

But in an odd twist, Pena was arrested the same day of the attempted break-in for possession of Ecstasy. Authorities are investigating whether there is a connection.

Hmmmmmmm.

Scary... since I live alone and have no reason to believe the police should be at my home... I think I will always call a dispatcher before opening the door...
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    No win situation. Imagine if it HAD been the FBI and you sent a round through the door!
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Distinguished Member
    FBI, Mercedez Benz... There is your first clue they aren't real.

wow, too bad they didn't have front plates in their SUV.
    I'm curious to know why the homeowner had those cameras? I wonder if this wasn't the first time something like this has happened. I imagine the break in he was involved with was part of the situation, or lead to this situation.
    I also find it odd that they took the time to have a lookout and dress up in fake FBI "gear" minus the full face masks..lol
    And they didn't try to kick the door in or simply break the window.

a shotgun would have been the better firearm IMO
    I carry a gun to protect myself & the people I love from the Monsters that roam this earth.

My first clue is when they used a crowbar to the door. The real FBI would have used a battering ram.

But here's the scary part. Those guys used FBI disguises because the REAL FBI might be breaking your door down too.
    LEO's need to get away from those swat team "No knock" entrances before more get killed.

Pena was arrested the same day of the attempted break-in for possession of Ecstasy. Authorities are investigating whether there is a connection.
    Ya suppose?

Quote Originally Posted by fastk9dad View Post
    FBI, Mercedez Benz... There is your first clue they aren't real.
    +1. Mercedes, surveillence cameras, ecstacy arrest....sounds like a drug deal gone bad and the dudes were coming after the cash he owed them.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Well I suppose if you were doing ecstacy deals you might have reason to think the cops/FBI might show up at your house.......
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Heard this on the news but not about the ecstacy part. VERY suspicious. But hey, evevn dealers have the right of SD in their own homes. ;-)

And one more thing cops should think about before busting down doors on warrents. Good cop/bad cop? Who's to know when they're busting in?
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I think the dark fabric masks and the silver Mercedes gave them away.
    Sig 226, 228. Glock 19, 23. Smith Model 60,and 1911. XD45 Tactical. Mossberg 930 SPX.

How we behave as gun owners is important. Posturing and threatening does not serve us well in the public eye.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    One gang of drug dealers trying to rip off another, pure and simple.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Sponsored Links