Dog Guilty in Shooting

This is a discussion on Dog Guilty in Shooting within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/stev...-shooting.html Sadly, shootings occur too often in Chicago...but never a shooting like this. In Wellington, New Zealand shootings of any kind are infrequent. On Saturday, ...

Thread: Dog Guilty in Shooting

Post Dog Guilty in Shooting

http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/stev...-shooting.html

Sadly, shootings occur too often in Chicago...but never a shooting like this. In Wellington, New Zealand shootings of any kind are infrequent.

On Saturday, July 10 -A dog accidentally stepped on the trigger of the .22 rifle and ended up firing at his 40-year-old owner.

The injured man was among a group of four who had just killed and butchered a domestic pig. They were climbing into a SUV to leave when the gun went off.

The man was flown to Whangarei Hospital , where doctors removed the bullet from his left buttocks.

Senior Constable Ian Anderson (is this what the lead player in Jethro Tull is doing these days?) said the man was lucky not to have been more seriously injured.

No charges will be filed - for there are no laws in New Zealand which deter dogs from using firearms.

2. Remove Ads

That's gona to take a while to live down.

It actually happens more frequently than you would think. It's usually bird hunters whose bird dog shoots them with a shotgun. I've heard of this happening several times.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Having dogs is a whole lot like having young kids. Perpetual toddlers, if you will.

I'm kinda curious as to why they brought the dog with them to butcher a domestic hog. It's not like he was needed as a hunting dog, so it seems like he would just be in the way (or worse, as it was)
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

That dog definately has some explaining to do. I bet the owner goes back to feeding him dry dog food. Should have had a dog like mine, reading the book, "Gun Dog." (avatar) This may have been avoided.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

The guy should have had his dog watch the NRA's "Eddie Barker" video...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

"I got shot by my dog !"
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Quote Originally Posted by Tala View Post
    Having dogs is a whole lot like having young kids. Perpetual toddlers, if you will.

I'm kinda curious as to why they brought the dog with them to butcher a domestic hog. It's not like he was needed as a hunting dog, so it seems like he would just be in the way (or worse, as it was)
    I'm more curious as to why they left a loaded, chambered, and unsafed rifle lying on the ground to be stepped on...
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

This

Sounds like a Forest Gump moment.......
    US ARMY Veteran 1965-1967 Vietnam 1966-1967
    WELCOME HOME TO ALL WHO SERVED, AND FOR THOSE STILL SERVING,
    A BIG THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE. FOR THOSE OF YOU DOWN RANGE
    WATCH YOUR 6, AND KEEP YOUR HEAD DOWN.
    A PATRIOT BELIEVES IN IT....A VETERAN LIVED IT

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    I'm more curious as to why they left a loaded, chambered, and unsafed rifle lying on the ground to be stepped on...
    that was my first thought also...

The one hunter who needs to teach himself, and his dog, about gun safety.

A story that is sure to 'rear' it's head for years.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Links