Good: Citizen shoots suspect who tries to rob him at gunpoint at an ATM

This is a discussion on Good: Citizen shoots suspect who tries to rob him at gunpoint at an ATM within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Isn't there a drawing against the drop discussion going on today? well, here you go... too bad he only shot the suspect in the legs... ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good: Citizen shoots suspect who tries to rob him at gunpoint at an ATM

Good: Citizen shoots suspect who tries to rob him at gunpoint at an ATM

Isn't there a drawing against the drop discussion going on today? well, here you go... too bad he only shot the suspect in the legs...

North Carolina: Man at ATM fires back at would-be armed robber

http://charlotte.news14.com/content/...e-armed-robber

CHARLOTTE -- Police say a man shot a would-be robber Thursday night at an east Charlotte ATM.

According to police, the man was attempting to use a Cash Points ATM on Eastway Drive at North Tryon Street around 11 p.m. A suspect seemingly saw that as an opportunity and tried to rob the victim at gunpoint.

However, that victim was also armed. He shot the suspect twice in the leg. Police officials report that suspect suffered non-life-threatening injuries.

CMPD officials are no longer interviewing the shooter in the case, who they say did cooperate with detectives in their investigation. No charges are pending against him.

The suspected robber will face charges once that person is released from the hospital.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

2. Remove Ads

Looks like his SA was working well except that he may want to rethink going to an ATM at 11:00 at night. I know sometimes there's no choice but just sayin'....
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

I don't go to the ATM very much at all, and when I do its mid day... ATM is a great ambush spot. Then again my tenants pay me in cash so I don't need any very often.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Quote Originally Posted by mprp View Post
    Looks like his SA was working well except that he may want to rethink going to an ATM at 11:00 at night. I know sometimes there's no choice but just sayin'....
    You know... I think I'm opposite of everyone here. I tend to prefer to go during those off hour times. Why? Because there is MUCH less people to have to pay attention to. So when a person does get picked up in my peripheral or however I pick them up, I have more resources to pay attention to those one or two people as opposed to a line of 5 or 6 waiting behind me.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

the only ATM I will use is the drive threw so I am in control the whole tim, if someone comes up on me it's on my terms
    NRA Member
    Glock 23

Try to avoid all ATM contact.

SA is key to any business conducted while out and about.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    I can't think of any legal transactions that I cannot use my ATM/Debit card for in lieu of cash.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

I can remember a SNL skit about ATM's. There was a line of ATM users, and next to them a line of ATM robbers...it made a point.
    I never use ATM's and don't even have an ATM card...it's just a ticket to get robbed. Plan ahead, pretty simple...IMHO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Good job for the shooter overall. I agree that avoiding ATMs all together is a good idea, especially late! I don't know the situation so can't judge the leg shots. Very good that they don't appear to be pressing any charges against the shooter.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    I can't think of any legal transactions that I cannot use my ATM/Debit card for in lieu of cash.
    Here in the sticks (I mean the state of Arkansas) you have to bring cash to pay most of the state offices. I've had to make unplanned ATM runs because of that fact.
    Lots of small businesses also do not handle Credit cards because of the fees involved.

(One state office takes ATM/Credit cards, so I though that the other one IN THE SAME BUILDING would as well. I thought wrong. Fortunately, almost all of my banks' ATMs are drive through and designed fairly easy to clear at a glance before you drive up. +1 for the people who designed my banks!)
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Another ATM robbery around here last week, this time during a drive through. Granted, this lady went to the ATM around 11:30 PM, which isn't the greatest time. Some guy was hiding in the bushes. The bank's ATM is in a dark part of the parking lot.

For the locals, it was the Bank of America on 5th Street in St. Charles, right next to the Chinese buffet in the Bass Pro parking lot. I've got a coworker who wants to eat at this buffet every time he comes over to my part of town, so we eat there a couple times a month. Great food.

I go where I want, when I want and do what I want; I do exercise heightened SA at night, in isolated areas but I do not let the BGs dictate my actions.

At night I will circle an ATM and use my Surefire to check out shadows but I will go if I want/need to: and of course I am always armed.

I was working out of town in Las Vegas and needed some cash. I was driving with two other guys who also used the machine. This had to look like a movie, but one of us would use the machine and the other two would stand with their backs to the machine and watch anyone approaching. I had to chuckle, but it worked.
    We were on North Las Vegas Blvd, not the best part of town.

I've used an ATM twice in 5 years. Then it was the drive-thru during the day. I just try to avoid it all together.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

3D
    The few times I use an ATM it's a drive-thru with EDC in my lap in condition 1.
    Was there yesterday and noticed the nearby large trees had been replaced by some rather sparse looking low shrubs. They're catching on.
    "It is easier to resist at the beginning than at the end"____Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links