9 injured no deceased in DOWNTOWN Indianapolis

This is a discussion on 9 injured no deceased in DOWNTOWN Indianapolis within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Tonight at the black expo downtown nine people were gunned down without reason or provication 9 people shot in downtown Indy after Indiana Black Expo ...

Thread: 9 injured no deceased in DOWNTOWN Indianapolis

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar

Tonight at the black expo downtown nine people were gunned down without reason or provication

9 people shot in downtown Indy after Indiana Black Expo event
    Police work to control crowds after shooting

Updated: Sunday, 18 Jul 2010, 12:42 AM EDT
    Published : Sunday, 18 Jul 2010, 12:42 AM EDT

Reporter:: Phil Sanchez
    Editor:: Jason Crundwell
    INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) - Nine people were injured in separate shootings Saturday night as thousands were gathered downtown for the Indiana Black Expo Summer Celebration .

Trouble began around 9:30 p.m. when the first shots rang out on Maryland Street between Meridian and Illinois Streets. According to Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department spokesperson Lt. Jeff Duhammel, several people were found shot at that location and two others were found in another location, after running from the scene.

Seven victims were transported to Wishard and Methodist Hospitals, the eighth was taken to Riley Childrens Hospital. Two were seriously injured, but none were thought to have life-threatening injuries. A ninth person was treated and released at the scene.

Watch Video: 24-Hour News 8 cameras were recording as shots broke out downtown

Police quickly sealed off several blocks downtown including Maryland Street while crime scene officers collected evidence.

Lt. Duhamell said officers did stop one vehicle with three men inside for questioning. Officers confiscated a handgun and assault riffle and arrested one person on an outstanding warrant, but the group was not believed to be involved in the shootings.

As the night progressed, there was a report of an explosion on West Washington near Illinois St. After officers were quick to respond to the scene, but it was determined that fireworks were being set off.

Police also broke up several small fights and arrested those who were involved. Over 300 police officers from IMPD were patrolling downtown streets Saturday night. The Indianapolis Office of Homeland Security was also monitoring the events from their command center.

Police are asking any member of the public who may have any information on Saturday night's shootings are asked to call Crime Stoppers at (317) 262-TIPS.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

VIP Member
    Wow busy night, glad no one was killed and hope the IMPD catch the ones responsible for the mayhem.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I do also, hopefully I can use this as an example to my family and friends about why it is a good idea to carry a firearm for self-defense and not just for hobby shooting
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Very bad situation......not much defense when some O2 waster(s) decide to spray a croud with lead. Hope these thugs get caught soonest!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

thats just the thing, they didn't just go spray lead at a crowd, it was 3 people shot at three different locations across the area, targeted shots and legs and torsos, almost coordinated

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Gangbangers no doubt.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Gangs are alive and well, carry Hi-caps or carry spare mags
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Is it possible that our cities could turn into war zones, or some thing like what is happening in Mexico along the border?
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by searcher 45 View Post
    Is it possible that our cities could turn into war zones, or some thing like what is happening in Mexico along the border?
    Some cities are already warzones
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Ex Member
    On channel 8, that night, the reporter referred to the the LEO's 8-9 times as "COPS." I thought that was a little disrespectful. Also at NO time during the broadcast did he mention the shootings happened at the Black Expo. He used the term "Summer Celebration" 4-5 times.

Liberal media at it's best.

LEO

that actually did make me somewhat angry that they referred to them as cops and not police officers or LEO's. It is one thing in the midst of conversation, but on a professional news organization it is inappropriate. And to those saying high cap mags/spare ammo, I carry a XDM with 16+1 in the weapon, and two 16 round mags on my weak side

I saw this on the news this morning and I believe it was the Indianapolis Public Safety Director Dr. Frank Straub giving a statement about it saying that one of the main issues they have is to "...get illegally possessed and used firearms off the street..."

Kudos to him for having a good perspective on the situation, and not declaring that all guns are evil, etc. You know, like Chicago's Mayor does on a regular basis when referring to their city's crime.

Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    that actually did make me somewhat angry that they referred to them as cops and not police officers or LEO's. It is one thing in the midst of conversation, but on a professional news organization it is inappropriate. And to those saying high cap mags/spare ammo, I carry a XDM with 16+1 in the weapon, and two 16 round mags on my weak side
    For this and the post befor it.
    I don't see it as derogatory, depending on the inflection used. To some extent I think that it is a generational thing. When I was working, we were "cops", albeit police, deputies, etc and we saw ourself as such. We were not LEO's we were peace officers, ala "cops". Now heat, fuzz, la hooda, etc, well......................
    Personally, I dislike the term LEO, hence I normally use "cops" when referring to LE.

It's ashame that you can't go out for a night and enjoy an event anymore. There seems to be always some jackass(es) that ruin it for everyone else. Hot summer in the city...........you know what summer does to some folks. kinda like these smilies...hahaha!

Guantes, I was just stating that it makes me angry because on a professional news broadcast they should use the proper term. I use the terms cops, LEO's, calvary, etc. etc. in describing or talking about LEO's in general. Dr Frank Straub is a very good professional and I feel a bit safer with him in charge, I also saw the broadcast on Channel 8 where he said that illegally possessed and illegally trafficked guns should be controlled and taken off the streets. I thought it was nice of him to put that little definition in there.

Links