Woman pulled from bicycle, attacked by pit bulls

This is a discussion on Woman pulled from bicycle, attacked by pit bulls within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Another vicious attack. http://www.abcactionnews.com/dpp/new...d-by-pit-bulls TAMPA - A Tampa woman was pulled from her bicycle and attacked by two pit bulls that managed to escape from ...

Another vicious attack.

http://www.abcactionnews.com/dpp/new...d-by-pit-bulls

TAMPA - A Tampa woman was pulled from her bicycle and attacked by two pit bulls that managed to escape from their owner's yard Monday night, police say.

Vanessa Watts, 48, was riding past a fence-in home at 9407 North 9th Street around 8:30 p.m. Several pit bulls in the yard began barking and managed to escape, according to a TPD statement.

The dogs pulled Watts from her bicycle and began biting her on her left arm and both legs. She was able to break loose and made it to her home two blocks away.

She called police, who in turn summoned Hillsborough Animal Control to take custody of the dogs.

At the 9th Street home, an investigator seized six dogs. Two were found to be badly injured.

Three residents at the home were arrested.

Watts was taken to University Community Hospital where she was treated for non life-threatening injuries and released.

James C. Green, Demetrius Floyd and Lula Greene were each charged with two counts of animal cruelty.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

6 aggressive dogs? some injured? sounds like a dog fighting ring.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Glad she managed to get away.
    Also glad they arested her "nieghbors".

James C. Green, Demetrius Floyd and Lula Greene were each charged with two counts of animal cruelty.
    What about aggravated assault on a citizen, or some other responsibility for the damage done to the woman?

I suppose the dog owners, themselves, didn't commit the act of striking the woman in question. But doesn't Florida have the statute in place that dictates a death occurring during commission of a felony becomes the responsibility of each and every member committing the felony, irrespective of who did the actual killing (as in a robbery gone awry, where the clerk is killed but the whole group is charged with murder including the get-away-car driver)? Seems to me that if someone is going to have such large and aggressive dogs, specifically mistreats them to the point that they escape his bondage, then viciously attack someone, that the owner(s) should be responsible for the damage done by the dogs in much the same way of felons and deaths that occur during felonies. Problematic, hence I see how it might be hard to apply, but it doesn't seem right that a dog owner in such a situation should escape responsibility for the damage done.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    What about aggravated assault on a citizen, or some other responsibility for the damage done to the woman?

I suppose the dog owners, themselves, didn't commit the act of striking the woman in question. But doesn't Florida have the statute in place that dictates a death occurring during commission of a felony becomes the responsibility of each and every member committing the felony, irrespective of who did the actual killing (as in a robbery gone awry, where the clerk is killed but the whole group is charged with murder including the get-away-car driver)? Seems to me that if someone is going to have such large and aggressive dogs, specifically mistreats them to the point that they escape his bondage, then viciously attack someone, that the owner(s) should be responsible for the damage done by the dogs in much the same way of felons and deaths that occur during felonies. Problematic, hence I see how it might be hard to apply, but it doesn't seem right that a dog owner in such a situation should escape responsibility for the damage done.
    I agree. There should be serious criminal charges against them.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    I agree. There should be serious criminal charges against them.
    Seconded!

Further each instance of a bite by a persons canine should be viewed equal to that of a person being shot upon their person by discharge of a firearm.

For example if you shoot a person wrongly once upon the body, there is a degree of penal view associated to that conditional to how & why you managed to shoot that person and where at their body (foot, hand, heart, head, etc.).
    Same applys to cutting/piercing a person with objects such as a knife. This is and has long been normal most everywhere.
    So as it goes with dogs every bite by a dog should count toward harm...Not simply ehh the person was 'bit' by a dog(s) singular.

You shoot or stab a person multiple times, you get by view a higher degree of penal concern.
    You shoot or stab a person with multiple tools/implement, you get a higher degree of penal concern.
    So why is it not same for people with a dog(s)?!

To the view of the victim being bitten twice or thrice is far more physically harmful and mentally & emotionally terrifying than being bit just once.
    As well same for being bit/bitten by more than one dog in an event, be it once or multiple times.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Why wasn't she carrying?
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Quote Originally Posted by Supertac45 View Post
    Why wasn't she carrying?
    Because these things always happen to other people...
    The dog owners should be serving some lengthy prison time.IMHO
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; July 20th, 2010 at 09:42 PM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Maybe they will be charged accordingly due to the outcome of all of her injuries. Bad injuries = stiffer penalty???

Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    6 aggressive dogs? some injured? sounds like a dog fighting ring.
    Yep, it's very suspicious.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

But Pit Bulls are just big babies! They just need love and attention! I'm sure this lady did SOMETHING to provoke them. :/

But Pit Bulls are just big babies! They just need love and attention! I'm sure this lady did SOMETHING to provoke them.

Agreed: Folks let their toddlers play with pit bulls. The cops must have mis-identified the dogs. They were most likely mean boxers or labs.

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce130 View Post
    But Pit Bulls are just big babies! They just need love and attention! I'm sure this lady did SOMETHING to provoke them. :/
    For the most part they are. Sorry, but they are,, 99% of the Pitbulls we deal with are just that, human friendly, but animal aggressive. Unfortunately for this poor lady, she met the dogs of a bad owner. I'm glad she's ok.

Now, you want to talk about mean dogs, it's those dang Chihuahuas.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Quote Originally Posted by Guardian View Post
    For the most part they are. Sorry, but they are,, 99% of the Pitbulls we deal with are just that, human friendly, but animal aggressive. Unfortunately for this poor lady, she met the dogs of a bad owner. I'm glad she's ok.

Now, you want to talk about mean dogs, it's those dang Chihuahuas.
    Chihuahuas have never killed anyone. Sorry, but effects matter. It's not just about how many bites a certain breed has, it's the results of those bites that matter the most.

here we go...
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Links