Weekend Family Fun, Oakland, Ca Style

This is a discussion on Weekend Family Fun, Oakland, Ca Style within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...GPDK.DTL&tsp=1 Day full of crime no surprise in Oakland Chip Johnson In less than a 24-hour span, a motorist wearing body armor engaged in a ...

Thread: Weekend Family Fun, Oakland, Ca Style

Weekend Family Fun, Oakland, Ca Style

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...GPDK.DTL&tsp=1

Day full of crime no surprise in Oakland
    Chip Johnson

In less than a 24-hour span, a motorist wearing body armor engaged in a gunbattle with police on Interstate 580 in Oakland, a Virginia man in the Bay Area for a job interview was slain downtown and a West Oakland sniper fired on police from a high-rise building.

Here in paradise, nobody even blinked.

With the layoffs of 80 police officers last week, and the threat of losing 120 more officers without a $50 million taxpayer bailout in November, Oakland residents don't really expect a whole lot. Our collective expectations have been downsized.

So while the most recent 24-hour crime-filled span that started Sunday morning shortly after midnight might have startled residents in other cities of comparable size, it's pretty much standard weekend fare around here.

Oakland residents aren't numb to violent crime. But over the years our tolerance level has slowly ratcheted upward.

It's a civic attitude that's been noticed by others.

At a community meeting soon after he took office last October, Batts was shocked by residents' apathy to the city's staggering crime rate. He wondered why residents weren't up in arms over the situation.

On the campaign trail, former state Senator and mayoral hopeful Don Perata said he's met plenty of residents with low spirits. People seem "beaten down" in their expectations of any reasonable standard of government service, he said.

City Council President Jane Brunner described Oakland as a city divided on how to combat its crime problems. She pointed out that voters rejected Measure Y, a public safety bond measure, until it was amended to include funding for at-risk youth programs.

This schism needs to be addressed by all candidates for city office, and it should be a deciding factor by Oakland voters.

Even in a gubernatorial election year that pits GOP self-made billionaire Meg Whitman against former Oakland mayor and Attorney General Jerry Brown, for Oakland residents the most important election will be right here at home.

Four years ago, Oakland voters, by a razor-thin margin, elected the populist candidate - Oakland Mayor Ron Dellums - and it has cost the city in ways it could never have imagined. There's not a self-aware citizen anywhere in Oakland who doesn't understand the cost or consequence of doing nothing for another four years.

In less than a year under new leadership, the Oakland Police Department has seen reductions in many areas of violent crime, but those gains are going to be difficult to sustain with fewer officers. And if the city ultimately loses 200 officers, or about 25 percent of its workforce, maintaining or building on that momentum will be impossible.

Four months before the election, Oakland residents are faced with one of two very distasteful things: Residents can either fork over another $360 per household to a completely inept local government or sit idly by while the Police Department is dismantled.

Oakland residents have an opportunity to correct the mistake made four years ago by demanding that candidates provide specific plans and concrete examples instead of vague, grandiose visions.

2. Remove Ads

sad when it becomes business as usual...
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Barren, you don't live in Oakland, do you? Yikes.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I'll tell you why the people aren't "up in arms", they're not allowed to own any.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

I live about 30 minutes outside Oakland.

It's all cool. Oakland voted to grow marijuana this morning. Maybe the citizens of Oakland are just to loaded to care.
    Don't tread on me or mine.
    I am comfortable laying on a rock in the sun; bothering no one. If you choose to ignore the above statement, you will wish all you had to do, is deal with a snake.

Quote Originally Posted by jackson85746 View Post
    It's all cool. Oakland voted to grow marijuana this morning. Maybe the citizens of Oakland are just to loaded to care.
    maybe the plan is to get everyone in oakland to themselves into a peaceful, happy community.

Oakland has a lot of folks with a sense of entitlement. Many contribute nothing to the tax base. As more folks get tired of all the free loading and leave the area Oakland will steadily become poorer. The answer is for more people in Oakland to go to work and contribute something to society. Oakland is the only place I have ever saw bullet proof glass inside major chain, fast food joints, separating the counter from the customer area. Employee opens a little draw and you put your money in and then they put your food in the little drawer. I don't miss it. I don't care if they miss my tax dollars.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Quote Originally Posted by n3ss View Post
    maybe the plan is to get everyone in oakland to themselves into a peaceful, happy community.
    That would be temporary...
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    Oakland has a lot of folks with a sense of entitlement. Many contribute nothing to the tax base. As more folks get tired of all the free loading and leave the area Oakland will steadily become poorer. The answer is for more people in Oakland to go to work and contribute something to society. Oakland is the only place I have ever saw bullet proof glass inside major chain, fast food joints, separating the counter from the customer area. Employee opens a little draw and you put your money in and then they put your food in the little drawer. I don't miss it. I don't care if they miss my tax dollars.
    Oh, the horror!

That is a sure sign to try to win the lotto so you can GTFOT!
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Sounds like they need more "sensible gun laws"!

It's California, what do you expect?
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

Was in NorCal last week and every morning seemed like it was just news about crime in Oakland on the toob. And San Francisco had crackheads all over mooching for cash, some aggressively. I really missed my P-3AT in my pocket.

I felt sorry for law abiding people out there. But the crime, jacked up finances, etc, out there are a result of who they chose to vote into office. Vote for big spending, soft on crime anti 2A pols, guess what you get...

Unfortunately, gerrymandering to protect incumbents from serious electoral challenges has given us lawmakers composed of an almost fixed ratio of 60% Democrats (universally anti-gun) and 40% Republicans (several of whom can get away with being anti-gun because their constituents wouldn't vote Democrat for anything). The minority (Republicans) aided and abetted the gerrymandering because they cared more about guaranteeing reelection than actually being able to accomplish anything.

Statewide elections are controlled by Los Angeles and San Francisco but Feinstein and Boxer are a scourge on the rest of the country, not us and the Governor may only sign or veto laws that cross his desk, much as he would prefer otherwise.

We also (until very recently) had a very divided gun community with individual groups trying to protect their own interests but willing to foul things up for everyone else. That pretty much resulted in everyone getting the shaft.

Ryan
    Those who will not govern their own behavior are slaves waiting for a master; one will surely find them.

Links